TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony DVD Player - No Auto 16x9

by mnp500 / April 2, 2007 7:37 AM PDT

I just got a Sony DVP-NS75H. It's playing through a Sony XBR-400 TV. Everything's working fine for enhanced DVDs. But when I put in a non-enhanced disc in, it appears in a smaller box on the tv screen. The TV is on auto 16x9, but it seems I have to manually set the DVD player to letterbox. In other words, there's no auto 16x9 in the DVD player's setup menu.. the only choices for TV type are: 16x9, letterbox, and 4x3. Am I missing something here?

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DVD Player - No Auto 16x9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DVD Player - No Auto 16x9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hmm
by bevillan / April 2, 2007 7:41 AM PDT

I have the same DVD player used with a SXRD and I can't recall anytime that 16:9 images have had problems being displayed in that aspect ratio. Is this small box really small or is it just the 4:3 ratio with the 2 vertical black bars on the sides? Is there a video mode on your TV to tell it to automatically display any image in its original format (i.e. no 4:3 images are stretched to fit the whole screen and 16:9 fills the whole screen)?

Collapse -
hmm
by mnp500 / April 2, 2007 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Thanks for you reply..The 16x9 images display fine--with the black bars above and below as expected with the 4x3 TV. But when I put in an old, non enhanced (but widescreen) disc the box gets shrunk even further--with black bars on all 4 sides. The TV is set for automatic display, but the only way to make it happen is to go into the DVD player setup and tell it to output in letterbox...

Collapse -
MN NORMAN OPERATION
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 8:24 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

Funny story for you I have an old old lazer disk player all the movies were in wide screen and letterbox format so what you see is this tiny little picture ha ha, You state you own a hi-def 4X3 t.v.? that has got to be one of the first hi-def sets ever made please reply stewe

Collapse -
xbr400
by mnp500 / April 2, 2007 9:55 AM PDT
In reply to: MN NORMAN OPERATION

my sony KV-36XBR400 I think was one of the early hi-def TVs.. and in fact I'm currently using it with Verizon FIOS HD. Of course there are black bars on top and bottom, but the HD picture is amazingly sharp.. sharper than any plasma or lcd out there, I think. But of course, it's somewhat small. Anyway, back to my problem. I simply cannot automatically switch from DVDs in enhanced 16x9 to older letterbox discs without adjusting the "TV type" in the DVD player setup. It's very annoying.

Collapse -
THAT SONY MUST BE A CLASSIC BY NOW.........
by Riverledge / April 2, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: xbr400

REMEMBER, MOST OF THE NEW FORMATS HAD not been invented yet; when you bought that behemoth set. Should be grateful it gives you the quality pictures you still receive to this day.

river040207.

Collapse -
SEE THIS LINK, VERY INTERESTING; JAN 2001..........
by Riverledge / April 2, 2007 1:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
MN IF IT BOTHERS YOU SELL IT HA HA
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 1:35 PM PDT

You have two options keep it and pull your hair out and live with the stunning tiny picture or buy an up to date 16X9 t.v. sorry. I will say that 36" is way to small You have to squint your eyes to see the fine detail The ideal screen size would be a 60" moma I have a 72" d.l.p. set and that is a movie theater experience Also top brand excellent t.v. are selling for about the same price as a toaster oven good stewee

Collapse -
Behemoth
by mnp500 / April 3, 2007 12:48 AM PDT

Yes, I've been thinking about a plasma or LCD, but have no idea how I'm going to get rid of the 240 pound XBR

Collapse -
mr 500 HAVE i GOT A DEAL FOR YOU HA HA
by stewart norrie / April 3, 2007 4:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Behemoth

BOUGHT MY NEW 72HM195 Toshiba 14 months ago $4300 with stand O and I love this puppy. total movie theater experience. Sony has one advantage they do an excellent job at upconverting 480 s.d. but 720 up to 1080P seems sony and Toshiba deliver the same excellent picture Seems Toshiba has excellent warrenty and customer service Sony does also but you can buy my monster cheap $3000 with stand thats half the price as Sonys 70 t.v. The reason I like a super large screen size is simple a smaller picture looks like a t.v. set but clear and you have to squint your eyes to see the small detial but 70" and 9ft. from the screen makes you feel your in the sweet spot in a movie theater good luck hope you find the t.v of your dreams dont forget to spend your life savings on a blue ray player awsome sound system and snack bar stewe

Collapse -
MN CHECK THIS OUT
by stewart norrie / April 2, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

some d.v.d. movies you rent may be in the 4X3 format only. Make sure you read the disk before you rent or buy It stewe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?