Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos

Hi all! Im new to this site and need a little help.

I am trying to take close up pictures with my digital camera (sony dsc-p72 3.2 mp) and they all seem to come out blurry. I have the macro setting on, and have tried taking pictures indoors, outdoors, with my flash on, with the flash off- zoom in, zoom out- having the lens literally 2 cinmeters from touching the item being photographed- I've tried what I can think to be everything! Im attching a few links to the photos I just took and you can see how the camera wants to focus on the fingers or nails rather then the actual ring... which is what I tried to take the picture of. If you can help, Id GREATLY appreciate it!

Regards!

http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/lovemymedic/Ring/Resize_of_DSC04456.jpg

http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/lovemymedic/Ring/Resize_of_DSC04455.jpg

http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/lovemymedic/Ring/Resize_of_DSC04454.jpg

http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/lovemymedic/Ring/Resize_of_DSC04453.jpg

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos

In reply to: Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos

A common problem is that you have some 3.2 Megapixel (MP) and that image is all of 640x480 or 0.3072 M. That means you could move back from the camera, shoot at 3.2 MP then crop out a 640x480 image that may be in focus.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos

In reply to: Sony DSC-P72 re: close up photos

Three of the photos show that the ring is too near the lens.

Photo 4455 is almost there, but you were still a bit too near the lens.

When in Macro mode, the focus on your camera is locked at 3.9 inches (10 cm). It will not autofocus in Macro mode. So your ring should be 3.9 inches from the lens.

It is important that you have enough light. Your one flash shot shows that the flash is too bright for macro work. So bring in a small table lamp to illuminate the hand and ring. A goose neck lamp would be nice.

In macro mode, the depth of field is quite narrow and a well lit subject helps increase the depth of field. The depth of field is the portion that will be in-focus.

It might help to have a dark background. Place the hand on a black cloth or black paper.

If you want the ring to show up bigger, set the camera to use all 3 megapixels and then use software to crop the area you want. Then resize/resample the cropped area to the physical size you desire (i.e. blow it up).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!