Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DSC H5 or Canon S3 IS

I know they aren't out yet, but just wondering what people think will be a better camera?

I am looking to purchase one or the other, and my criteria are 1) good burst shooting (Sony's doesn't look so hot, S3 IS looks good) and clarity at distance.

How much will it matter the Sony ISO 1000 vs. the Canon ISO 800?

Will the Sony 7.2 MP be that much better than Canon 6.0 MP?

Also, I noted the optical zoom of the Sony H5 can be boosted higher by lowering the Megapixels...can the S3 IS do that?

Just curious for thoughts from people with more experience than me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DSC H5 or Canon S3 IS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DSC H5 or Canon S3 IS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Comparison

In reply to: Sony DSC H5 or Canon S3 IS

I am anxious to see the reviewers tackle these two.

As for ISO 800 or 1000:
"a drop in the bucket difference"
The real question will be, what is the difference in noise level at 800 and 1000.

Boosting optical zoom by lowing megapixels has the smell of "digital zoom".
However, they may be playing around with the focal length of the lens too.
They are going to have to explain their theory.

Waiting for the reviews.

Collapse -
Comparison Sony vs Canon

In reply to: Comparison

I have exactly the same questions you have. I want to purchase one or the other. Please send my a copy of the replies you receive.
branitas@aol.com

Collapse -
What I think

Is that you would be better off with the Canon. The Sony is plaged with their propriatary memory sticks. Something that even they're not sure of if you look at some of their other models. ISO 800 to 1000. Nothing to consider. 6mp to 7 mp, nothing to consider. Zooming to a lower pixilation, handy but you can do it on your computor. Good luck on your search.

Collapse -
All of them are out

and reviewed. So whats the take now?

I am planning to buy either of those for christmas.

Collapse -
See What Owners Say

In reply to: All of them are out

Collapse -
Alls done

In reply to: See What Owners Say

Collapse -
No Real Manual On Sony

In reply to: Alls done

I recently bought an H5. There is a start guide and a thin manual, but that presumes you are a digital Ansel Adams.

Not even on the CD is there a PDF with information.

So I will be learning via trial and much error.

Collapse -
Camera Manuals

In reply to: No Real Manual On Sony

All of the camera makers are guilty of providing only the minimum information about their cameras.

This is particularly bad when getting into the more complex cameras with the most features.

People who are new to advanced cameras do not know about the reasons for using various shutter speeds, aperture settings and ISO settings. And how they all interact with each othere. All three are the ingredients of creating a perfect exposure. And the camera makers have made no effort to educate their customers on the subject.

If you can enroll in a local class on photography, you will benefit greatly.

For good information on the techniques of taking photos, Kodak does a good job in that area.
Here is a link:
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=2/3/38&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=9317

Collapse -
Sony DSC-H5 vs Canon S3 IS

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.