HolidayBuyer's Guide

Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony: DR200 vs. HC96

by mmj3 / May 24, 2007 1:25 AM PDT

Hi-

Trying to decide btw 2 camcorders. Narrowed down to SR200 (30gb HDD) versus HC96 (miniDV). They appear to be about $100 apart with SR200 costing more. I need stuff in mpeg format, hence my liking for the SR200 but I could also simply record on memory stick to get my mpeg with HC96 (and still have the option for DV...)

Thoughts? I was all ready for the SR200, but leaning now towards HC96. I will purchase a wideangle lens for either camera...so even the lens type doesn't really matter.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony: DR200 vs. HC96
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony: DR200 vs. HC96
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a tidbit..
by whizkid454 / May 24, 2007 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony: DR200 vs. HC96

You can't record video to the MemoryStick using the HC96. Video is only recorded to the miniDV tape.

Collapse -
really?
by mmj3 / May 24, 2007 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a tidbit..

Is the memory stick only for still images? I've used other Sony camcorders that you can record video on memory stick...is it something specific to the HC series?

Collapse -
Oops...
by whizkid454 / May 24, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: really?

It seems as though you can put video onto a MemoryStick but at a cost of resolution and quality.

Video footage is recorded to 6.35mm MiniDV tape. Tapes, like MemorySticks, do not come included with the camcorder purchase. Buying media will raise the overall price of the camcorder a fair amount if a 2 GB card is purchased; thus much memory can run anywhere from $80 to $450 dollars depending upon place of purchase and previous ownership. It is possible to record movie clips to memory card, though the resolution is at an inferior 320 x 240 or 160 x 120.

Even though I now know it is possible to do that, I don't know how it will turn out for you in the end. High compression and lower resolution made for tiny online clips would be enough for me to stick with the miniDV tape instead of the MemoryStick.

If you want the better video, you would either have to use the MiniDV tape or the SR200's hard disk drive.

Collapse -
thanks...
by mmj3 / May 24, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops...

For my purposes, resolution isn't all that big of a deal. As it is now, when I record using miniDV, I compress into mpeg or wmv so I may use the video for my software.

I'll never be watching stuff recorded to memory stick on a TV, just an itty bitty computer screen.

That being said, is there anything that warrents the extra $100 for the SR200 if I have the option of nice DV images or lesser resolution memory sticks?

yes, the memory sticks will cost as I need to record up to 4 hrs in one sitting. And I can't seem to find how many hours a GB gets me...

Collapse -
Well...
by whizkid454 / May 24, 2007 5:58 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks...

With the SR200, you get around 8-9 hours of continuous high-quality video.

With the HC96, you probably get an hour per GB with the MemoryStick on the highest resolution setting and with the tape you get one hour of continuous high-quality video per tape.

So in order to get your 4 hours continuous recording requirement settled, your options are either the SR200 or the MemoryStick option on the HC96.

Personally, I wouldn't dare shoot video to the MemoryStick with that quality even if I was only viewing it on a 10" LCD screen. In a heartbeat, I would go with the SR200 for that very reason. What if you use this camcorder for another function? How would you feel if all you used it for was its MemoryStick capability? Low resolution and horrible quality. (Well worth the extra $100, IMHO.)

Collapse -
Thanks!
by mmj3 / May 25, 2007 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

Thanks for your help. I ended up with the SR200. As I was getting ready to purchase the HC96, I noticed on the specs that it didn't like memory sticks larger than 2GB. Since I needed to record many hours at a time, that obviously wasn't going to work.

Again, thanks for the helpful advice and suggestions!

Collapse -
Did it work for you?
by Springer007 / June 1, 2007 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

Just curious, because I have recently bought the SR-200 and the 4GB mem card. HOWEVER I never saw a way to do video to the mem card. only to the Hard drive. The card will hold stills but no video.
my older sony could do video to either.

Just curious if it worked for you.

Collapse -
Haven't tried it...
by mmj3 / June 1, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Did it work for you?

I haven't used the camera yet. and didn't end up buying a memory card since I was just going to record to the hard drive.

I agree, other sony camcorders will record video to the memory card, don't know about this one...

LMK if you get it to work.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.