Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DOWNGRADED the Cybershot line.

Hi, all.
I'm a Cybershot user since 1998 (I still have the first one, DSC-F1).
As you can imagine, I was buying newer models to improve (more Megapixels, Zoom, larger memory Sticks, etc.).
My last one, was the DSC-F88 and I wanted a newer one.
I bought a DSC-WX1 because it was the best model available and I was really disappointed soon.
Sony removed the MANUAL MODE ! ! ! !

In daylight, it's almost the same.
At night, this camera is useless, because it has short exposure and is Automatic only.
It has a better and improved Sensor so it's better in low light, but my 5 years old DSC-F88 is still better because it can handle 30 Seconds Exposure.
This new TOY tries to make the same in 2 seconds!.

I believe Sony tries to sell the DSC-H models and the Alphas so limitations on Compact models will force consumers with higer requirements to buy a bigger and expensive model.

I returned the DSC-WX1 to Sony because of the poor results.
I will search for a compact digital camera somewhere else.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DOWNGRADED the Cybershot line.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DOWNGRADED the Cybershot line.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not just their compacts

In reply to: Sony DOWNGRADED the Cybershot line.

If you look at their Alpha line, they have downgraded all the entry level cameras to lower than the previous models. They are pushing photogs to buying the higher end models to get the features that the previous models have had.

Collapse -
Not just Sony

In reply to: It's not just their compacts

Panasonic with their firmware update to exclude OEM batteries. Canon gradually phasing out proper optical viewfinders forces one up to the G11 -- so that I now recommend friends to look for secondhand A series Powershots

And Sony -- well, if the continuing use of a non standard expensive memory format wasn't enough to warn you. A Korean friend bought a Sony camera in London and tried to download Korean-language manual -- barred because camera was bought outside Korea. My recommendation was to take the camera back to the shop.

Collapse -
Not just Sony

In reply to: Sony DOWNGRADED the Cybershot line.

Canon did the same thing.
I have a Canon A560IS with manual controls that cost me $175.
Their last such camera was the A570IS.
Canon has completely eliminated all their low cost cameras with manual controls.
Gone are the A500, A600, A700 line of camera which had some manual control models.
Their replacements are the A1000 and A2000 line of cameras which have no manual controls.

You can still get manual controls on the big zoom models, and the two Premium models (S90 and G11).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.