Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-SR42 not Mac compatible?

Why would a new technology camcorder with a hard drive not be compatible with a Mac? Is there a slick program somewhere in the Apple world that can read Sony's video files? I bought this as a gift for my daughter, and I'm afraid I wasted $550.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-SR42 not Mac compatible?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-SR42 not Mac compatible?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
consider using the

In reply to: Sony DCR-SR42 not Mac compatible?

Collapse -
For t11chb...

In reply to: consider using the

As was previously mentioned by boya84, it appears you are trying to give away software you have no legal right to share and are asking for donations in the process, an act not permitted here. Likewise, direct links to unconfirmed downloads are generally forbidden due to the security risk they pose to other members. Thus, your posts were removed. Whether you agree with these policies or not they must be abided by, and the usage of profanity does not aid your cause.

John

Collapse -
Sony DCR-SR42 and Mac

In reply to: Sony DCR-SR42 not Mac compatible?

The link that boya84 gave you shows the software that I use. MPEG Streamclip works perfectly to convert the file from your camcorder into a DV file that iMovie needs for editing. But, back to square one, what process are have you gone through with your Mac to try to download the file from your camcorder? If you connect the camcorder to your Mac with a USB cable, an icon should appear on your desktop for the camcorder. If you double-click the icon, you should see your MPEG file(s). You need to create a new folder on your desktop, then simply drag the file(s) into the folder. This will copy the file to your computer for processing. Then, drag the camera icon into the trash to unmount the camera from the computer. This will make it "safe" to unplug the USB from the Mac. Then, launch MPEG Streamclip and open the new file, then go into the pull-down menu in MPEG Streamclip and you can save the file as a DV file. This DV file can then be imported to iMovie.

The ideal camcorder for a Mac is one that uses a Firewire connection. This would allow you to import the camcorder file directly into iMovie instead of doing the two-step process mentioned above. But hey, most PCs don't come with a Firewire connection like a Mac does, so for a Firewire camcorder, you would need to go through a couple of additional steps too for movie editing. I wish there was a universal connection and file format for all camcorders and computers, but there isn't, so we must often jump through a couple of hoops to make everything work.

Collapse -
what if nothing happens?

In reply to: Sony DCR-SR42 and Mac

Dan Filice said, "If you connect the camcorder to your Mac with a USB cable, an icon should appear on your desktop for the camcorder."

but what if i connect it and nothing happens at all? like *nothing*.

Collapse -
RE: What if nothing happens

In reply to: what if nothing happens?

I've never had "nothing" appear when I connect a camera to my Mac with a USB cable, but there is another option: Go into Applications and launch "Image Capture". A little window appears that says "No Image Capture Device connected." Ignore that and open the Image Capture Preferences. There is a choice that asks you what you want to happen when you connect a camera. This "camera" is assumed to be a USB-connected camera, not a mini-DV that should be connected via Firewire. The option is "When a camera is connected, open: ------", where the dashes are whatever application you choose. Choose Image Capture. Now, plug your camera into the Mac using a USB cable, then turn on the camera and make sure it's in the "Playback" mode, not record. It should launch Image Capture. A window will appear showing the thumbnails of files on your camera. Choose any file, then choose to save it to your desktop. Now you may need something like MPEG Streamclip to open it, but you will need the Quicktime MPEG Playback plugin to save it in all it's glory.

Collapse -
I had the same problem

In reply to: what if nothing happens?

I had the same problem, and just gave up. Now, years later, I took it out of the closet to get ready to sell it, but then figured it out. I had to go through all the options I could find on the camcorder itself, and I came on this one (all these buttons I'll be talking about are soft buttons on the LCD screen of the SR42):

Hit the home button in the upper left; 5 tabs will appear on the bottom; hit the middle tab (looks like a grid); a scroll bar on the left says "1/2", hit the down button just below it so now it says "2/2"; there should be only one button there, called "COMPUTER"; hit it; now 3 buttons, one says COMPUTER with a hard disk icon, one says COMPUTER with a memory card icon, and the last says DISC BURN; hit the one with the hard disk icon (a cylinder); connect the USB cable to your mac. That should do it.

On my mac the "Image Capture" application came up automatically with two buttons saying "Import" and "Import All." I imported all, and now I have nearly 2 years of videos and photos to sort through. Good luck. (And disconnection is tricky too! Eject the disc on the mac, hit the END button on the lcd, unplug the USB, then hit the "Yes I'm ready to exit USB" on the lcd. Sheesh!)

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!!

In reply to: I had the same problem

I signed up for the Forum just to say thank you for helping me with this problem...I too now have two years of video to go through but so happy to have it!

Collapse -
Thank you so much

In reply to: I had the same problem

My 7th grader had to do a 10 minute edited video for school and after doing all the filming on the Sony camcorder we couldn't download it to the Mac. Thank goodness we found your post! We're so happy. It was clear, the simplest to understand and worked well on the first attempt. Thank you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.