Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony DCR-HC38 Suddenly won't download on firewire. HELP!

by dndpaints / April 21, 2009 3:55 PM PDT

For some reason my camcorder is no longer recognize by my computer when I plug in the firewire, it's always worked before. Running Vista Home Premium 32 bit. Cannot recognize the camera with Movie Maker or Sony's Picture Motion Browser program. I tried another PC (same OS) with no success, bought a new cord, and even tried my old Sony DCR-TRV320. Yes, I'm in playback mode on the cameras...the HC38 displays DV-in on the screen (is that right?)

Both cameras worked absolutely great the last time I did this and now I've got nothing.

HELP!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR-HC38 Suddenly won't download on firewire. HELP!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR-HC38 Suddenly won't download on firewire. HELP!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
fried?
by chickenorfish / April 21, 2009 5:15 PM PDT

if you plug in the cord while the camera is on you can fry the plug. did you do this?

Collapse -
fried
by dndpaints / April 22, 2009 2:22 AM PDT
In reply to: fried?

Oops, yes I did...how can I tell for certain if it's fried?

D

Collapse -
theres really no way to be sure
by chickenorfish / April 22, 2009 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: fried
Collapse -
nothing
by dndpaints / April 22, 2009 3:37 PM PDT

Tried it...still can't recognize the cameras. We pulled out the old XP based laptop and both of the cameras work fine there. I know the camera was on when I plugged it into one PC but not the other. The all the other ports on the media card are still working fine. Do you think the Vista PCs could have possibly lost something (driver, etc) that would be preventing them from recognizing the cameras?

Had a similar problem with the USB ports before with them suddenly not recognizing my MP3 player being plugged in...turned out to be that they both had auto updated with Microsoft the night before and the drivers now had to be reloaded from Microsoft.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Now go get the manual that the camcorder came with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: fried

Read it carefully and see if yours tells you to plug it in with power "up." If so, call the maker/support and ask them to fix your camcorder and issue a corrected manual.
Bob

Collapse -
IEEE
by dndpaints / April 22, 2009 3:28 PM PDT

Turns out it's not the cameras it has to be the Vista computers. We pulled out the old XP run laptop and both cameras work fine. I know the camera was on when I plugged it into one of the Vista PC's but not the other one. I'm really begining to wonder if there is someting that they autoupdated and now it's not working? The firewire port is on the same multimedia card as my SD, etc and the other ports all work fine. hmmmmmm

Collapse -
WMP updates are known to do such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2009 10:38 PM PDT
In reply to: IEEE

If the machine is under warranty, call it in.

If the ports are functional I use WinDV without issue even if WMP or such is dead.
Bob

Collapse -
ive heard
by chickenorfish / April 23, 2009 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: IEEE

ive heard that vista can have problems with firewire. however, i used it with no problem

Collapse -
same prob, diff camera, diff OS
by Sid_T / April 26, 2009 11:27 AM PDT

I am having a similar issue with a different camcorder and on WinXP SP3.

I am certain that something auto-updated in the last month or so that has caused this problem.

But how to find out what?

Collapse -
patches
by Sid_T / April 26, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

I have gone through un-installing WIn XP SP3 and manyh secuirty patches trying to get back to a version that worked and haven't managed it... can't figure out what has caused this, but I am sure it is a recent update that's done it.

Collapse -
THE DRIVERS HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATED
by VWRIVERRAT / November 22, 2009 1:20 PM PST

GO TO SONY'S SITE AND DOWNLOAD THE DRIVER UPGRADE(SPU_Ugrade0902a) HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE A 32 BIT SYSTEM AND NOT 64. SONY IS NOT SUPPORTING ALOT OF THEIR PRODUCTS IN 64 BIT MODE. I'VE BEEN TRYING FOR 3 DAYS TO FIND A DRIVER FOR WIN 7 WITH NO LUCK, BUT I'VE LEARNED ALOT....GOOD LUCK

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.