Camcorders forum

General discussion

Sony DCR DVD 201

by Loran / November 27, 2004 7:57 AM PST

When I playback a finalised DVD disc on my PC's DVD driver (LG Combo) the video doesn?t have normal colors. It is like too much red and dark colors on the images. The souns is OK. I own a good new PC, with a very good video card and I use Windows XP. Anything that I should know before playing back on the PC ?? The finalised DVD disc works well on my son?s Sony Playstation when I use it as a DVD player.
Thanks for a help.
Loran - Rio de Janeiro Brazil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony DCR DVD 201
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony DCR DVD 201
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony DCR DVD 201
by Loran / November 27, 2004 8:11 AM PST
In reply to: Sony DCR DVD 201

Even when I connect the camcorder to the PC and I use the ImageMixer to see the movie directly from the camcorder the colors are not normal.

Collapse -
If it looks OK on a TV, then the problem is your PC.
by Kiddpeat / November 27, 2004 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Sony DCR DVD 201

Your monitor's color needs to be adjusted so that it accurately reproduces color. There is hardware and software for doing this, but I am not familiar with any free software. You might check the Adobe site to see if they have their software available for download. They normally include it with Photoshop.

If it doesn't look OK on a TV, then you need to get the camera adjusted.

Collapse -
Re: If it looks OK on a TV, then the problem is your PC.
by Loran / November 28, 2004 4:33 AM PST

Hello Kiddpeat. Thanks for your reply. The movie is OK on a TV either when I connect the camcorder on the TV and when I play the disc on the dvd player. I am thinking if there is anything to do with NTSC adjustment. The computer?s dvd player has the property of changing the region where the dvd is played back. It is already set for USA where the tv system is NTSC the same of the camera. I will check for any software you are suggesting. Thanks again. Cheers!

Collapse -
I don't think the DVD player or computer are
by Kiddpeat / November 28, 2004 9:58 AM PST

concerned about what broadcast standard is used. A broadcast standard would affect a tuner in the computer, but not the video, dvd, etc.

Again, I think the problem is color matching on your monitor. There is color match software and hardware around, but it is relatively expensive ($400-$500 with hardware). Check http://www.xrite.com/ which is one of several sources.

You may wish to simply ignore the problem on the PC and watch your videos on the TV. You could also look for a service facility which can adjust it. The monitor needs to have a color profile generated. Perhaps it already has one, and that is what is causing the color error.

Collapse -
Re: I don't think the DVD player or computer are
by Loran / December 9, 2004 7:12 AM PST

I finaly found the problem. It was on my video card. I had just to re-install the drivers and BINGO!!! Everything is working well now and I can see my movies. Thanks for your help. Best Regards.

Collapse -
boa tarde
by frankzxcv / November 27, 2004 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Sony DCR DVD 201

como vai voce, eu tem o saudade para rio de janeiro!

(I miss rio)

sounds like a monitor problem, if the DVD plays fine on a TV set. tell us more about your monitor, and perhaps post a question on the PC hardware forum. there are ways to test and adjust the color on most i think. how does it look with other pictures, etc?

--fj

Collapse -
Re: boa tarde
by Loran / November 28, 2004 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: boa tarde

Hello Frankzxcv!! I am glad to know you have been in Rio. The monitor is OK for photos, etc and the colors are preety normal. After reading your post I checked out some other dvd movies (all in NTSC) and they did not work either. So, I realized that the problem is in my computer?s dvd player or software and not in the camera. Now I have to see if my monitor (samsung syncmaster 753dfx) supports NTSC. I will ask the guy who sold me the whole equipment to give me some support. When I bought the computer I checked the dvd with the videoclip Pink Floyd The Wall and as it is an old and "crazy" movie I thought that the colors were normal. Have you ever tried hang gliding tandem when you were in Rio?? That is what I do. Many thanks. Paulo

Collapse -
oi
by frankzxcv / November 28, 2004 9:06 AM PST
In reply to: Re: boa tarde

muito prazair

there might be a color adjustment in the DVD player software. good luck.

I didn't get to go hang gliding. prosima tiempo. couldn't find your e mail in your CNET profile, but you can e mail me thru mine and I will be happy to show you some pix of my trip to rio. talvais voce pode aduda me com meu portugues! -- fj

Collapse -
Re: oi
by Loran / December 9, 2004 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: oi

Hello Frank !!

It sounds that you like Rio.
I am sorry for not replying these messages before. I finaly found the problem. It was on my video card. I had just to re-install the drivers and BINGO!!! Everything is working well now and I can see my movies. Obrigado pela ajuda. Abra

Collapse -
Re: oi
by frankzxcv / December 10, 2004 5:11 AM PST
In reply to: Re: oi

otimo. estou muito feliz para voce. --fj

Collapse -
Re: Sony DCR DVD 201
by dlykins / November 30, 2004 2:19 PM PST
In reply to: Sony DCR DVD 201

hey,, my wife is from Peru...we live in us now.

i am looking at purchasing this same camcorder (sony 201) with DVD.. and have talked to a lot of retailers about it...

they all tell me it only plays on certain DVD players..so maybe you pc dvd player is older model. One retailer told me it doesn't play back on dvd players older than 2 years???? he didn't know specifically why..

other than this issue.. please answer the following questions.
are you happy with it?
is the play back quality better than order with miniDV?
can you play back on any DVD player?
whay made you choose this over a model with a miniDV?

we can take conversation off-line if you like (see email below).

DOn Lykins
dlykins0@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?