Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Cybershot DSC-P200

I recently purchased the Sony P200 and I'm having the hardest time figuring out how to take good, consistent shots in low light. My wife and I just had twins and the boys are still in the hospital, so I'm taking shots in a very dimly lit NICU. I have the AF illuminator turned on, with a flash, and half the time the pictures come out completely dark, other times I notice the flash is considerably "bigger" and then I either get a completely white screen, or sometimes the shots are good. Bottom line is the shot are very inconsistent, with the majority of them being completely black. Can someone help me figure this out? I know it must be something I'm doing because both my mom and sister aren't having any difficulties with their cameras.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Cybershot DSC-P200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Cybershot DSC-P200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony P200

In reply to: Sony Cybershot DSC-P200

Make sure that you have the camera in Auto mode.
The icon of a camera on the mode dial is the Auto position.

Check the ISO setting and make sure it is set to Auto.

Make sure that your fingers are not blocking any of the small holes on the front of the camera.

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

The camera flash will not illuminate a whole room, but should do fine if you are within 12 feet of the subject.

If you are taking photos through a glass window, put the front of the lens in contact with the glass to keep the flash from bouncing back into the lens.

If the above does not solve the problem, it is time to contact Sony repair.

Collapse -
Poor shots in the dark

In reply to: Sony P200

I'm not sure what else I need to change...I've played around with all the settings I know, however I feel I should be able to turn the camera on the main setting - Turn the flash on, and even in a dimly lit room get excellent shots, however that's not the case. Both my mom's and sister's cameras are working fine with the lighting, however my DSC-P200 is taking completely dark shots. What step in the menu setup am I missing? You mentioned to change the ISO setting, but this option is only offered in the "M" manual setting. I figured a more advanced 7.2 megamixel Sony would be dummy proof??

Collapse -
Sony P200 Flash

In reply to: Poor shots in the dark

I have not heard of the P200 taking dark or black flash shots.

The flash is not strong enough to light-up a room, but if the subject is within 11 feet of the camera you should get a well lit picture.

If the camera is still under warranty you should contact Sony about warrant repairs for the camera.

If it is not under warranty, call Sony and see what the approximate cost is for repairs.

Collapse -
Sony upgrade?

In reply to: Poor shots in the dark

I have a Sony DSC W7. Generally I am satisfied with the results, however I have serious problems with pictures taken in low light using the AF Illuminator. I find it very difficult to get the subject(people or a group of people) in focus. The problem is that the result, viewed on the LCD Screen,does not give any indication of a problem. It isn't until you view the picture on a computer that you realise that the picture is out of focus. Think carefully before upgrading to Sony.

I am thinking of starting a new thread on this subject but will have another look through the settings options in the manual first.

Judesman.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!