Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony camcorders and making the right choice!

by architect / September 2, 2004 8:53 AM PDT

To R. Proffitt

In response to some of your previous comments, Bob. I was wondering why you advised that "Windows Update Drivers" be left well alone. Further, I am intending to buy a camcorder, while here in the US, and I have found several good websites... With regard to pricing the best, as far as I can tell, is realdealshop.com - I was hoping you might have some advice. I have also learnt that Sony have excellent quality products but a high end price. Where as Canon have good lenses they tend to be; less good looking, not as highly rated and, seemingly, harder to use. As I am a total novice in this field I would be grateful for any recommendations in terms of product, as well as sites for purchase. To give you some sort of guideline I would be unwilling to spend more than $800 and I would like something that does well by night, as well as a digitil still capability.

John

btw... I haven't discounted JVC et al

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony camcorders and making the right choice!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony camcorders and making the right choice!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Sony camcorders and making the right choice!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 2, 2004 10:20 AM PDT

Let me break up your post...

1. "I was wondering why you advised that "Windows Update Drivers" be left well alone."

Do ask in the XP FORUM this question: "Should I accept drivers from Windows Update?" My answer is definitely NO!!! Why? Because I get to help people roll back from such things.

2. "Further, I am intending to buy a camcorder, while here in the US, and I have found several good websites... With regard to pricing the best, as far as I can tell, is realdealshop.com - I was hoping you might have some advice. I have also learnt that Sony have excellent quality products but a high end price. Where as Canon have good lenses they tend to be; less good looking, not as highly rated and, seemingly, harder to use. As I am a total novice in this field I would be grateful for any recommendations in terms of product, as well as sites for purchase. To give you some sort of guideline I would be unwilling to spend more than $800 and I would like something that does well by night, as well as a digitil still capability."

Sadly, the night capability is where all DVCAMs seem to fall short. Look for dvspot.com to compare what number of LUX are required and make a short list with those of 2 LUX or less. This will help weed out the ones that require well lit rooms. Next look at the lenses. The f2.0 if found will help. I don't have the time to do this work for you, but if that was a factor, then I'd make that short list.

In closing, you want to find a bundled video capture/edit software package. I don't worry about DVD creation since all the DVD recorders I've seen come with such at a great price.

Bob

Collapse -
by architect / September 2, 2004 11:29 AM PDT

Thanx for the feed back. And I didn't expect you to do the work. However you failed to appreciate the "As I am a total novice..." part.

When you say "you want to find a bundled video capture/edit software package." I would appreciate an opinion, not one to be held to, just your opinion. As well as an indication of what this translates to in simple layman's terms.

I appreciate the lux info and I do understand the essence of this aspect of comparison. As for the lens your suggesting that - f2.0 - is the one to go for, what else would be acceptable?

"I don't worry about DVD creation since all the DVD recorders I've seen..." Does this mean your suggesting DVD instead of MiniDV as the media format?

And, "...come with such at a great price." what? lol, just a little lost but I know your the one to help me. Does this mean they come with software to allow DVD creation and if so doesn't that imply a non DVD format in the first place? Please help...

John, 23, student - desperate!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2004 12:50 AM PDT

I note DVSPOT.COM and here at CNet as well. Novice or not, you get to do the research.

The reason for software to come with the DVCAM is simple. I've seen people expend far too much time and effort if the software isn't bundled with the DVCAM. The owner then spends a lot of time trying many softwares trying to get the video onto the PC.

You'll find today's DVCAMs with miniDVD recording to be nice, but 20 minutes on the miniDVD may be not so useful to some. You may want to sort out how to get it to the PC and DVD for longer times.

As to DVD recorders, the new dual layer all format recorders can be found for 99 bucks and include DVD recording and video edit software.

As to f2.0 and LUX, I offered such as what will make a difference in low light. A 2 LUX camera will handily outperform a 12 LUX camera in low light. The lower f rating... is a camera lens item which you may read more on google.com There are many articles about lens if you take the time to research such.

Bob

Collapse -
by architect / September 3, 2004 9:04 AM PDT

Absolutely, and I am here doing it. Thanx for DVSPOT.COM ... I think I am finally beginning to understand what your trying to tell me and many thanks for your efforts. I was confused by DVCAM and DVD, etc... Having read what you have to say at CNET about miniDVD I think I will have to wait till the technology truly delivers.

I have found the Canon Elura70 and the Sony DCRHC65 to be the right price. I don't think they meet the requirements however. An opinion is all I ask Mr Proffitt, given what you know.

I have also found that the Sony DCRHC85 does everything I want, it also has a flash and the lens is (f1.8-2.1) I believe. However, it does have a minimum lux requirement of 7 and uses "NightShot

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2004 9:31 AM PDT

Research that picture package. The last time it was just for photos, not video.

7 lux is a tad high. While it will tape your street corner, your expectations may not be met. Aim for 2 lux or get a demo of the night shot mode.

For 815 bucks you should expect the retailer to talk with you and offer a money back if not happy deal.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!