Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Sony Camcorder DCR-TRV330 Software needed

by Snowdog61-22308253069585282030160631579280 / June 21, 2009 8:16 AM PDT

I have a Sony Camcorder DCR-TRV330, never knew there was suppose to be a disk with it. Now I'm trying to use it on systems - one with Windows XP Home, the other Vista Home Premium.

The XP recognizes so I can get my pictures from the memory card, but I have no idea on how to get the stuff from the tape.

The vista will not recognize it at all.

Any suggestions are welcome?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
The Sony DCR-TRV330
by boya84 / June 21, 2009 2:42 PM PDT

is a Digital8 tape based camcorder.

USB won't work. USB-to-firewire cable/converter/hub/adapter things won't work. You have discovered that USB is for transferring stills off the memory card. Even if you somehow accidentally and magically get USB to connect, the video that gets to your computer over "USB streaming" will not be high quality standard definition video that the TRV330 captures to digital tape, but a very compressed video stream resulting in fairly low quality.

Connect the camcorder's DV port to the computer's firewire port. With the camcorder in Play mode, import the video over firewire with the video editor... or try WinDV. Nothing will magically "pop up" or appear on the computer when the correct connection using firewire is used.

If your computer has no firewire port, hopefully it has an available expansion slot so you can add one.

Firewire, IEEE1394, i.LINK and DV - in this context - are all the same thing. And the protocol is very different from USB...

Collapse -
The Sony DCR-TRV330 tape to computer transfer
by riz36 / July 13, 2010 10:44 AM PDT
In reply to: The Sony DCR-TRV330

I have the same issue with me tapes as well. I am running windows vista and I want to download my videos...to burn to dvd.
I believe you said all I have to do is purchase the firewire and connnect them and it will download. Is their anything else I should know?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!