Resolved Question

sony camcorder dcr-sr38e

hi my name is shane i have an issue with my camcorder and i would be very grateful for any support.

i had not used my camcorder for a couple of months and recently when i turned my sony dcr sr-38e camcorder on it started up then displays this code c.04.00 and also displayed this message cannot use this battery in this camcorder.

its the original battery and the camcorder works fine when plugged in to the mains

Discussion is locked
shaned87 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Follow
Reply to: sony camcorder dcr-sr38e
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: sony camcorder dcr-sr38e
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

Best Answer

- Collapse -
How old is that battery?

If over 2 years, and given the mains clue, I'd try a new battery.

- Collapse -
tried new battery

thanks for your response i have been to the sony store, they did not have a h series battery but assured me that a v series would work in the h.
so we tried the v series battery and unfortunatly that too displayed the same message. they then said that sony had a standard service charge for any repairs at £170 and for £200 i can have a better spec high def handy cam, which is obviusly a no brainer if i am prepared to spend the money.
on arriving home with nothing to loose my inquisitve side took over and i decided to dismantle the camera as there appeared to be some corrosion on the battery holder conection piont and wanted to see if there was any evidenc of water damage inside, so after dozens of screws and many complex parts i reached where i intended and saw no visible signs of damage i even managed to put it back together without being left with lots of screws.
i then turned it on and the message was slightly delayed, with that i tried cleaning the connection piont with small screwdriver this time it appeared to be cured but after one minute the message was displayed again and is now displaying imediatly as before despite numourus cleaning attemps.
so evidently i was close but unable to identify the problem, i would like to find somewhere to pirchase internal parts of my camera becuase if it can be repaired the parts must be purchasable however i cannot find them.

- Collapse -
I've seen that happen.

The old battery expires and the charging circuits fry trying to charge the old battery.

Parts are rarely available since repairs exceed replacement costs. So there is no need for spare parts. This can infuriate those that are new to the repair scene.

What to do? Try ebay.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) thanks bob
- Collapse -
Answer
SonySupport USA

Hello Shane,
I'm sorry to hear that you are having troubles with your Sony DCR-SR38E. If you would please visit our eSupport website @ http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=FAQ# to further assist you. If you have any other questions please email us @ sonylistens@am.sony.com

Best Regards,

Josh James
SonySupport USA

CNET Forums