TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

sony bravia KDL-40S20L1 goes black with Fios DVR

by judyf16 / May 16, 2009 2:47 PM PDT

Our Sony Bravia KDL-40S20L1 tv had a beautiful hd picture. It worked with Direct TV. When we got the Fios fiber optic cable, we couldn't switch from regular tv to HDTV without the screen going black. We had to change the input to regular tv before changing the channel to an HD channel. if we forgot, the screen would go blank. The techs at fios fiber optic cable tv said that there was a glitch in the sony bravia KDL-40S20L1 that needed a patch from fios. We never got a patch from them. It has been going on for one year and four months as we have a 2 year contract with fios. Our TV had such a beautiful HD picture that we didn't want to give it up. Now, I think that all the switching back and fourth and changing the input and mostly the forgetting to change the input has damaged a chip in our tv. We have a blank screen with only a slight blue glow. We were told to get it repaired by a sony repair person, but we are afraid we will have the same trouble after the repair. Should we buy a new, different tv or get this one repaired?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: sony bravia KDL-40S20L1 goes black with Fios DVR
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: sony bravia KDL-40S20L1 goes black with Fios DVR
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a FIOS problem
by mojo_guzzi / July 27, 2009 5:58 AM PDT

Based on your description it sounds like the FIOS people are covering their butts by blaming the Sony. Being a Verizon customer myself, I'm less than thrilled with their support system. The fact that they never sent you the patch may be telling.

You've probably already bought a new TV but if not you should start by asking the FIOS support people what TVs are most compatible with FIOS and won't cause problems. If they hem and haw about making a suggestion, you can probably assume the problem you had was with FIOS, not your TV.

Collapse -
sony bravia KDL-40S20L1 goes black with Fios DVR
by judyf16 / July 27, 2009 7:16 AM PDT

Thanks for your input. You are correct, we did buy a new tv. We got a Sony Bravia Motion Flow TV for a little over $1000. We discovered just in time, that we could return our $2000 tv for a full refund, because we purchased it in 2006 under Costo's old return policy. We had several hundered dollars left after our purchase. We had purchased the regular Sony Bravia from Sam's to watch until we could get the other situation solved. It still gives us a little problem in that it can go to half screen without notice. We will be returning it to Sams. So far, the Motion Flow is working ok. There is a delay, but the repairman that I spoke with, told me it was because it is going thru a computerized process that helps it choose which way to go. I do believe it is Fios. We will probably change our service when our contract runs out.

Collapse -
i have same problem
by heatguy10741 / April 22, 2010 9:18 AM PDT

have kdl-40s2000 and have to turn tv on and off when changing between hd and reg was your problem resolved

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!