TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony Bravia HDTV obsolete soon - should I refuse delivery?

by Prandy / May 3, 2007 6:04 AM PDT

I just found out a new but unreleased Sony KDL-40V3000 (BraviaEX) will render the KDL -40V2500 (Bravia) we just purchased and was shipped yesterday (to be delivered in a week) as essentially obsolete. We got a great price ($1,760) and a 30 day return policy on an HDTV that lists for $2,499 and sells at BestBuy for $2,199. Now I know why. I visted the SONY website and noted they had just cut the price by $300 (Same $2,199 as available at BestBuy) one day after we bought it. The 40V3000 has not been released for sale and there is no pricing information anywhere. I called Sony to see if I could order one and the agent said he did not know of its existence and could not even pull the model up on his computer and said there was no way to access any information about it. I did a Google search and several sites explain all the zillions of improvements such as:

http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2007/02/28/sony-kdl-46v3000-and-kdl-40v3000-40-and-46-1080p-lcd-tvs/

Which sates in part:
"Sony announced many consumer electronics goodies on February 27 including seven new LCD TVs. But only two were capable of Full HD 1080p, so I will focus on the V-series 46

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Bravia HDTV obsolete soon - should I refuse delivery?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Bravia HDTV obsolete soon - should I refuse delivery?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No

There is ALWAYS going to be something better every year. The only thing that is a big improvemnt on the nexgen tv's is 120hz & that is realy it. + with all the changes made in the nexgen sony's & other, I would not be supprised that there going to be some bugs in the first lot.
Sony will not release these new tv's until late summer time, if there are no delays & there XBR line in the fall time.

Collapse -
Thanks for the fast response. I'll take your advice.
by Prandy / May 3, 2007 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: No

...... and just sit back and hopefully enjoy the upcoming HDTV experience. One less inconsequential thing to worry about.

Collapse -
Do any SONY insiders disagree with reply from givemeaname?
by Prandy / May 3, 2007 6:31 AM PDT

If not, I am taking the advice given and taking delivery of the HDTV.

Collapse -
Bravia

If you are so worried about small improvements in one Bravia model over the next, why didn't you get the XBR when you ordered your set? It's better than the Bravia, but it costs a lot more. The new Bravia will cost a lot more than your TV too. Did you buy your current Bravia because of the great price? If so, then worrying about minor improvements in a new model is a mute point. Take delivery of your set and enjoy it.

Collapse -
Good point and here is why. Thanks for response.
by Prandy / May 3, 2007 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Bravia

Dan Filice:

My wife and I viewed the XBR right next to the V2500 and could not tell the difference in picture quality. There was a GREAT difference in the next lower SONY Model. Then we saw on the Internet that the XBR (with Bravia pro engine vs Bravio engine) was more subject to the cloud issue than the V2500 making the V2500 appear the better value for the price.

You asked "Did you buy your current Bravia because of the great price?"

Answer - that was a significant part of the decision but we could not tell the difference in the picture of the two sets.

You stated: "If so, then worrying about minor improvements in a new model is a mute point (I think you meant a moot point). Take delivery of your set and enjoy it."

I thank you for your advice which I deem significant. You stated that the new model is a MINOR improvement. That was my key point - was it a major or minor improvement. Your advice is consistent with prior advice in this forum and I plan to take it so Thank You.

Yes .......... we are upgrading our Satellite Service to HD, paying the price for an upgraded HD-DVR, adding a special surge protector, and all the attendent cables for both the Satellite connection and the DVD connection. (Yes, our Pansasonic DVD player has progressive scan - further, it is only six months old.)

Thanks for taking the time to respond and assuring me the smartest thing to do to just go ahead and accept the TV that is due to arrive in a week.

Post 5 of 6 | Previous | Next | Next unread

Collapse -
MR PRANDY DONT WORRY ABOUT THE NEW BELLS AND WHISTLES

My 72" d.l.p. set is now 2 years old and right now its like a model T BUT it still looks as good as anything out there Your Sony will look as good as any movie theater in town. Worry about FEEDING it To enjoy that beautiful you must get a hi-def satellite or cable system and order the hi-def package , this will open the door to awsome programming and a true 1080I experience after that your going to hate your cheap t.v. speakers so [plan ahead because you will lust for a sweet 5.1. audio system and blue ray player I have the Blue Ray player and once you see that eye searing picture you will run out the door screeming with joy good luck stewee

Collapse -
Thanks-Your adivce is consistent and great affirmation.
by Prandy / May 3, 2007 1:58 PM PDT

Thanks so much for confirming the advice from others but from a different perspective and we are going ahead with the purchase.

As to adding speakers, we are going to wait on those until we hear other systems but you may want to provide recommendations.

The speakers of the V2500 are far superior to most others as confirmed by others in many forums.

Here is why to wait for now (please review my profile/bio)- Our home system not connected to any computer is a SONY 200W amp with surround sound capability, High End speakers that produce a DISCO quality sound, but no surround sound purchased to date.

The 2.1 (2 speakers and subwoofer)on the old 2005 DELL 8400 are Harmon-Karden and sound as good as the home system but in a smaller room with lower ceilings. The 5.1 DELL Surround Sound on the newer DELL E510 sounds like a cheap boombox.

Thus, we will take your advice that is consistent with other CNET members and go ahead with the purchase - and then wait until we hear a good sound system that will match well with our current set up. If you have any suggestions as to whom may produce a great surround sound system to match up to our own home system I would appreciate any advice you may have to give.

Hey .......... thanks for taking the time to write.
Yes, you can email me diret through CNET if you look at my profile (bio) - whatever they call it.

Again, thanks

Collapse -
Take delivery as it's a great unit
by intrepi / May 4, 2007 1:10 PM PDT

Your choice is not a bad choice and I'd take delivery of it as it's a great unit and most reviews will tell you that. Consider this, most HDTV television signals are transmitted in 720 which is why the bulk of HDTV's have a native 720 HD resolution. Any unit having 1080i or the newer 1080p would be running the same resolution on transmitted HDTV signal. The 1080i or 1080p doesn't come into play until you are using DVD or a BlueRay disk with this HD format. I really wouldn't get too concerned about any of it as you'll love this unit, I know I would if I had one. Save the money you would have spent on the return shipping charges and buy a nice new DVD Player to match this units capability.

Collapse -
wow, i'm suprised no one has said this yet.

New models will ALWAYS be more expensive. for sony, it'll probably be like $2600 for that tv as opposed to the $1750 that you paid.

i'd definitely recommend you save that money and put it towards a nice surround sound system. the v2500 is a very nice television. from reading about the v3000, it sounds like the GUI is a little different and the corners are "sharp" instead of "round". i was looking at the 40s3000 today (the lower end 720p version) and i can't stand how boxey the tv looks. keep the v2500. and abuse the pricematch policy.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?