Sony forum

Question

Sony Bravia HDTV Black screen and unresponsive, KDL-52w5100

by azyardies / June 12, 2016 9:02 AM PDT

HDTV screen stays black and is not responding.

When I turned the TV on, there is NO picture shown. Its all black and even with a flashlight, I can't see anything in the background. No audio is heard either. The only thing that turns on and shows is SOLID GREEN light & the Sony logo on the panel Bezel. We tried unplugging, replugging from the wall socket, waiting a week or longer to try again, but nothing.

We took off the back panel and the Capacitors are not bulging & seem fine. After plugging and unplugging a few cables to see if there is anything loose, check ribbon cables, and disconnecting the power cords, now its doing a new thing. Kind of like removing the back cover caused new findings.

Now, when powering off The TV with the remote, the green solid light and Sony logo go off. But it only goes off when I push and hold the power button. So it powers off. But as soon as that happens, a RED light starts blinking 14 times over and over. The only way to stop that light from blinking totally is unplugging the TV from power.

I hope I gave you enough to go by. What part went bad & needs to be replaced? I read somewhere it was the Tcon board. I know where that is and we removed it to get the part number.
But also read it could be the MAIN board or power board. SOmetimes people word these boards different so please be specific. (one board has the area to plug HDMI, avi, coaxial, etc- and the other has the power part that you plug the power cord to).

I dont have a voltage meter to check things nor do I know how to use one. We once replaced 2 Capicitors on another TV from my family member with success. That was an obvious and easy fix.

Note that this TV was a hand me down so I have no prior use of it.
The TV is a 2009 model from what we know.
Thanks and I appreciate all the info you can share...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Bravia HDTV Black screen and unresponsive, KDL-52w5100
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Bravia HDTV Black screen and unresponsive, KDL-52w5100
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Given the age
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2016 9:24 AM PDT

It's iffy if it's worth replacing boards. You claim you don't have the Volt meter or know how to use one so for this one, get repair estimates.

Why? I have yet to find TV techs offer repair advice in forums. And with 50 inch models hitting 300 bucks, just a few boards and you are into a new set.

Collapse -
True prices have gone down considerably in years.
by azyardies / June 12, 2016 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Given the age

Hi R. Proffitt,
Thanks for your opinion.
True I know that TVs have really gone down in price as years have gone by. And buying one could be better than trying to fix this.

But, Since this was a hand me down, I just thought that we would be able to replace something pretty cheap (like we did with the capacitor replacements on that other set for $5).
Luckily I got info on youtube with that fix and it was right on.
But pinpointing the bad board is just the beginning in making the decision as to whether we will continue or not with this repair.

thanks for your advise.

Collapse -
I didn't reveal my background.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2016 10:13 AM PDT

I'm an electronics designer and by extension have worked with techs in may areas of repair. For sure you may luck into sets with BAD CAPS (an industry plague!) but here you have a really dead TV.

If you want to get into it you find/buy the service manual so you can follow it's diagnostic tree on where to measure and what boards to swap first.

This is more than opinion. I've been at this for decades now. What I am encountering are folk that want a 5$ repair on a TV that is not on a tech bench for me with service manual and gear to look at. That's wishful at best but there are folk that think this can be done.

I hope you see that at best that's guessing but with boards on average 100 bucks I don't like to guess.

Other idea? Get on ebay and find same model with a cracked screen. The brains are usually good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?