TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony Bravia 46' full 1080p

by daywatch / August 15, 2006 11:02 PM PDT

This is one of the new TV's by Sony and I was wondering what people thought of it so far. I was looking to probably get this next week...thanks for your input guys.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony Bravia 46' full 1080p
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony Bravia 46' full 1080p
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bravia
by Dan Filice / August 16, 2006 2:20 AM PDT

I'm not sure about the new Sony sets that are arriving, but my experience with the past models is that the XBR was better (my personal 2-cents) than the Bravia, so if you can, buy the XBR model. Last XBR models were a few hundred dollars more.

Collapse -
we just put one out...
by masterying01 / August 16, 2006 6:56 AM PDT

right out of the box, the first thing i noticed was how dull it looked. if you look at the 40xbr1 and the 40s2000, the xbr looks a lot more "sexy" then the s2000. the new 46xbr2 is not sexy ihmo. the clear plastic around the case of the case that gives it a "floating" effect looked cool for about 5 minutes (it looked a lot better in the pictures).

as far as picture goes...my first impression of the picture was that it was BRIGHT. we have it sitting next to the 46s2000 from sony and the 46inch lcd from samsung. it was the brightest out of the bunch. the picture quality was a little bit more clearer then the 46s2000....but after messing around with the colors....it just didnt "wow" me like the first time i saw the 40xbr. there is a $1000 price difference and i did not see anything that would justify that definitely see it before you buy it....just because difference.

it says Sony XBR doesnt always mean its going to be amazing (IE the 34xbr960 vs. 34xbr970).

Collapse -
tv
by daywatch / August 16, 2006 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: we just put one out...

So would you that it looks good? I think the "floating" looks ok in my opinion. So would you say that the picture looks really good?

Collapse -
imho
by masterying01 / August 16, 2006 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: tv

i'd say the picture looks good for $3000....but at $4400.....you have many more options out there both in plasma's and lcd's.

Collapse -
tv
by daywatch / August 16, 2006 7:21 AM PDT
In reply to: imho

I can get it for $3999. But you said the picture was better than the samsung....??

Collapse -
dont get me wrong
by masterying01 / August 16, 2006 7:45 AM PDT

its a great tv and all that....and for $4k, its a decent deal. just make sure you look at the picture first and compare it side by side before buying. its like comparing a bmw and a mercedez.....they're both good...but i personally would take a bmw m5 over a mercedez s55 anyday.

Collapse -
I COULD TELL NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE SXRD AND A D.L.P. T.V
by stewart norrie / August 16, 2006 7:28 AM PDT

After a year searching for that perfect picture and wanting a 70" + screen size I looked at a Sony 70" I believe a l.c.d. unit. the picture looked very dim and bad overall, I chose a 72" d.l.p. And I love it, I have seen the SXRD sets and to tell you the truth I cant see any difference in picture quality over my d.l.p. set and soooo much cheaper Also Sonys l.c.d. t.v.s really had a dull choppy picture any comments please and please dont bash me this is my opinion only. I love Sony products,Its just that some folks who own Sony t.v.s really get pissed off when you mention any other brand name. ha ha ha let the war begin have a nice day stewee

Collapse -
TV
by daywatch / August 16, 2006 7:42 AM PDT

I'm talking about the Bravia series, not the SXRD.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) STEWART, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT FLAT PANEL LCD
by masterying01 / August 16, 2006 7:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes
by daywatch / August 16, 2006 7:53 AM PDT

Not the SXRD. That is rear projection, isn't it? The one I am talking about is thin, like a plasma.

Collapse -
SONY BRAVIA V40XBR1 IS ON CLOSEOUT.............
by Riverledge / August 17, 2006 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

RIGHT NOW look for one available anywhere!!!
Excellent set. Has CableCard too.
Best bang for the buck.
ACT FAST !!!

Collapse -
NO!
by Pakman3000 / August 17, 2006 10:34 AM PDT

Must....have.....10..80p. Must...believe...hype. LOL

Collapse -
ok...
by daywatch / August 17, 2006 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: NO!

Why do people bash 1080p?

Collapse -
also...
by daywatch / August 17, 2006 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: NO!

Pak you also supported 1080p in some of your other posts, so why bash me for wanting it? By the way this tv does support 1080p...look it up.

Collapse -
Not at all
by Pakman3000 / August 17, 2006 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: also...

That was in response to riverledge's post. You can see that I said I must have 1080p. The hype comment was in jest.

Collapse -
Stew........
by kena10 / August 17, 2006 11:38 PM PDT

You ask for problems when you constantly bring up the same stupid issue.

Lets review.......

A few days ago you claimed that you didn't know that the XBR1 sets were LCoS based. Now you're starting up about dlp's being better than the SXRD's and all you're doing is making yourself look like a complete fool.

Notwhidstanding the fact that everyone here knows that you're simply talking trash and trying to get people's buttons pushed. When people correct you and they tell you something you don't want to hear, you resort to asking them not to read your posts, apologizing for not knowing the real facts and this and that. So, from now on, before you claim that dlp is better than the sxrd technology, go and read some real reviews so you can get educated on the subject.

Jimmy

Collapse -
Get the XBR2
by kena10 / August 17, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

You'll pay more but you won't be disappointed.

Jimmy

Collapse -
yeah
by daywatch / August 18, 2006 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Get the XBR2

Thats the one that I was thinking about anyways. The 46' inch version of it.

Collapse -
Bravia is Colorful
by mikefromboston / August 18, 2006 2:05 AM PDT

I have seen the 40 and 46 inch models 3 months ago in Tokyo. The New Bravia X series concentrates more on accurate color reproduction. The picture looks awesome but soft at times. The factory setting tends to push more color and gamma on screen. The Sony Style stores used to play HD version of Batman Begins and Ultraviolet. Off-late they changed the standard def DVDs with upscaling sony player to exhibit the strength of bravia processing for SD feeds. I think the 52 inch model was launched in end of July I think. The 60 inch rear projection models are not available in Japan due to less demand coz of it's bulkiness. I think US and rest of the world needs to wait for few more weeks to peek into the new dragon.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?