Sony forum

Resolved Question

Sony BD S580. Wireless won't work when my cell uses wireless

by springcheer / March 10, 2012 1:19 PM PST

I have a Sony S580 that cannot connect to anything if my cell phone is connected to my wireless router. The S580 connects wirelessly to internet, Netflix/Amazon streaming, shared video files from my computer just fine if my husband's cell phone is connected to our wireless internet.
We have the same phone model: HTC Evo 4G from Sprint.
The Sony S580 works fine when our other devices are using the wireless connection at the same time:
*RCA BRC11072 Blu Ray player
*Husband's cell phone
*Two desktop computers

My husband says if he's using the S580's wireless connection for anything and I am not home, the connection drops as soon as I enter the front door with my cell phone on me.

It's a bother to disconnect my cell phone every time we want to stream music, movies, etc. It's also just not fair that my husband doesn't have this problem with his phone :-p

Any ideas on why my phone makes the Sony S580 unable to connect wirelessly?
My phone does not cause a problem for any other wireless device we own. They can all be on at once and the connection is very fast and smooth.

I'm not super tech savy so if you need more info, let me know. Our wireless router uses our cable internet connection thru a wired modem.

Thank you, in advance.

springcheer has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony BD S580. Wireless won't work when my cell uses wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony BD S580. Wireless won't work when my cell uses wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by springcheer

Collapse -
Solved one like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 5:36 AM PDT

They were not happy at the solution but here it is. We reduced the distance from the wifi router to the hdtv by half.

That was it and didn't require any new gear.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you, I fixed it last night.
by springcheer / March 11, 2012 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Solved one like that.

The router and S580 player have direct line of sight and are about 15 feet apart. From suggestions on another forum, I just changed the last digit for my S580's IP address to the next number in sequence. It was usuing the same IP address at my cell. I just looked at the default wireless set up, went it and did it manually and changed that last number.

Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 11, 2012 3:37 PM PDT

We use DHCP and never assign addresses. It could explain why it failed!

Collapse -
I thought it was odd, too.
by springcheer / March 12, 2012 4:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Very odd.

I'm so nontechnical, I don't know what DHCP stands for. But hey, it works! Woohoo!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!