General discussion

Sony Android LCD TV 2015 cracked right after unwrapping it

My father just bought a 43" Sony Bravia LCD TV at the mall the salesman demo the TV to my father and there's no problem, when we set up the TV and we saw the LCD is cracked. The TV did not fall or anything we handle it with care, The crack is inside at upper left corner, with a colorful effect all over the picture. The glass/plastic outside is not affected. and not less than 24 hrs we report it to the manufacturer but still no response till now..

I have the following questions:

* Will the Sony Limited Warranty cover this?

* If usually not, is there reason to believe that they will make an exception because it happened right after unwrapping?

* Will it increase my chances if I tell them it had a crack already when I unwrapped it?

* How much would repair cost me if they do not cover it?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Sony Android LCD TV 2015 cracked right after unwrapping it
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sony Android LCD TV 2015 cracked right after unwrapping it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
All good questions. For Sony.

In the USA I used the Sony.com site to get the 800number. Repair is usually same or more than a new set. Since it was from a store, why wasn't the set immediately returned?

- Collapse -
What Would Sony do??

we decided it to open the following day because we had a lot of things to do because we just moved in to a new house. when we saw the crack inside (not more than 24 hrs), we immediately called the store where we bought it, but they insisted to replace it with a new one instead they suggested us to buy a new unit. when we refused to their suggestion, they suggested another solution and they said we will have to pay PhP 23,000.00 to repair the damaged one.

What do you think Sony will do to handle this incident? I don't want to pay that big amount because it is no different from buying a new one. How about the old unit in which I have not yet used? It's like I have trashed my money for nothing.

- Collapse -
My bet is no good.

Shipping damage is almost always not covered. As to what Sony will tell you, you have to ask them.

Folks have lost new gear like this for ever. It's sad and all you can do is tell folk sorry to read about the loss.

CNET Forums