TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony 70" XBR3 Deep Color?

by thephilmaster / March 5, 2007 10:59 AM PST

i noticed that the sony XBR3 70" says that it has "10-bit Processing and 10-bit Display". Does this actually mean deep color, or is this just better color. I know that hdmi 1.3 is supposed to support deep color. Does the XBR3 (specifically the 70") have hdmi 1.3? thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony 70" XBR3 Deep Color?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony 70" XBR3 Deep Color?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) No one has 1.3 yet.
by Coryphaeus / March 5, 2007 11:03 AM PST
Collapse -
It DOES have HDMI 1.3
by Spotted / March 21, 2007 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: No one has 1.3 yet.
http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9672363-1.html

According to David Katzmaier at least.

This LCD TV got delayed until May and it does have Deep color hdmi 1.3 spec support. Not sure about the other HDMI 1.3 specializations though. Remember that some TVs may not have all HDMI 1.3 features equipped into their HDMI connections. You need to see exactly what they support rather than seeing if they support "1.3" or not. It's feature-specific.
Collapse -
(NT) Not out yet, is it? How about perhaps WILL have HDMI 1.3?
by NM_Bill / March 21, 2007 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: It DOES have HDMI 1.3
Collapse -
This could be the one.
by thephilmaster / March 21, 2007 9:23 PM PDT

this has been helpful, because if, when it launches, it has hdmi 1.3 and real true 10 bit color as described in the hdmi 1.3 spec, then this is probably the tv we'll be getting.

Collapse -
it is
by widojofus / March 23, 2007 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: This could be the one.

$33,000, yes 33 thousand, not 33 hundred, 33 thousand dollars

Collapse -
i know
by thephilmaster / March 23, 2007 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: it is

i know it's expensive..but we can do it so it's all good.

Collapse -
No need to be a smart alec.
by Spotted / March 22, 2007 12:15 AM PDT

I was just answering a legitimate question, no need to be a smart alec.

Collapse -
It also already has HDMI 1.3 NOW.
by Spotted / March 22, 2007 12:17 AM PDT

Oh, and for the record, you're still wrong-- it DOES have HDMI 1.3 already in it NOW. They displayed this TV at a consumer show earlier this year.

Collapse -
Only pointing out present lack of release, therefore
by NM_Bill / March 22, 2007 9:11 AM PDT

availability. Not trying to make a rightness/wrongness issue.

Many of us truly are waiting to see HDMI 1.3 products. Then to see how actual implementation is progressing. HDMI up through 1.2 had mixed results. Whether it was a faulty standard or implementation difficulties, we don't know.

One point brought forward was referenced as an anonymus interview quoted in theperfectvision.com March 2007 issue. Theperfectvision "compared the sound of deigital audio signals presented via HDMI interfaces vs. coaxial or optical digital audio interfaces, and in every case achieved superior-sounding results via coax or optical inputs."

"What accounts for these sonic differences? We aren't entirely sure, butr at least one performance-minded manufacturer has told TPV that HDMI audio outputs TEND TO EXHIBIT HIGH LEVELS OF JITTER, which ostensibly hamper sound quality."

Once some product releases are actually available, we are anxious to see how well 1.3 seems to work & further time is needed to see how signals actually are enriched as 1.3 content is provided. Though we are expectant, 1.3 source material will seem to just trickle out until we reach some kind of critical mass.

Early CDs seemed harsh to cirtical listeners. Sound mixers learned how to treat the mix for more pleasing sound reproduction. Early BluRay high def DVDs are being discussed now as to their imperfections. Our own Stewee here was then awed by a latest release which was specifically prepared for high def DVD & he marveled at the absence of pesky artifacts.

Initially we'll start with zero product produced for 1.3. People are impatient about things like Sony getting those million unit sales in the U.S. with only a couple games prepared for it. It typically takes a year or so for the trickle to start to amount to some selection.

On the other hand, so much for your declarations of wrong. Sony has it, as either a prototype or first batch. The public will have the opportunity to buy when Sony wills it so.

Collapse -
For "NM_Bill"
by Spotted / March 22, 2007 9:56 AM PDT

In response to "NM_Bill":

"Not trying to make a rightness/wrongness issue"

I got the sense you were being confrontational with me by your first post in this topic. So let's call a truce here. All I did was answer the topic creator's question about whether the 70XBR3 specifically, unlike the previous poster before me who put out a blanket statement saying there were no HDMI 1.3 products out yet, which had NOTHING to do with the 70XBR3 which DOES (or to please you "WILL") have HDMI 1.3 connections. I even mentioned in my post that the 70XBR3 got delayed until May, so was there really any need for you to point out that it wans't out yet? Who claimed it was? I provided the relevant info the OP was asking about--your posts are off topic to the central point at hand, which is the 70XBR3. If you don't have anything to add to the 70XBR3, then please let's stop this arguing.

Collapse -
KIND OF NIT-PICKING BILL. BUT, YES THE SONY WILL HAVE IT!
by Riverledge / March 24, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

OH WELL.

river032507edt.

Collapse -
MORE ON SONY 70" monster
by stewart norrie / March 22, 2007 2:27 AM PDT

I have been bragging so much about my 72" d.l.p. Toshiba that you all must hate me by now ha ha. I have seen this beauty on display twice, last time hooked up to the same Sony blue ray player I own, I also was allowed to play with the settings. OK with blue ray you can set the sharpness full on . for best sharpest picture. Yess the Sony did look great but my old d.l.p. Toshiba is so mucch sharper I found the Sony to have a soft picture lacking detial. Please Iam so sorry I bring this up a lot Iam not crazy but I have never seen a display as awsome as mine except the plasma t.v.s also you can pick up a Toshiba 72HM195 with stand for a tad over three grand now that is a great deal.I also know that most of you hate d.l.p. sets I really dont know why. In my opinion d.l.p. and JVC idla t.v.s really look best steweeeee

Collapse -
70XBR3 on display?
by Spotted / March 22, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

You said you saw the 70XBR3s on display? If so, may I ask where?

Collapse -
MR SPOT BEST BUY AT MAGNOLIA INSIDE
by stewart norrie / March 22, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: 70XBR3 on display?

one more note when you step up to a monster dislay size you have the best of two worlds it looks like a front projection set up without all the hassle, also you get a true movie theater experience, you dont have to squint you eyes to see the fine detial But like I said if you can see a demo of my Toshiba 72HM195 at half the price you would see that The Toshiba is sharper with much more detial than the Sony After playing with the sony I came home and really saw a difference, You should also check out the Pioneer elite t.v.s They are also sharp with beautiful detial. I love Sony but I cant stand the soft picture they always look out of focus But take your time I know you will find your dream t.v. I spent over a year until I found the set that I love

Collapse -
Um Stewee
by bkchurch / March 22, 2007 12:19 PM PDT

Maybe the 70" XBR3's are a whole different beast but I've seen the 40" XBR2's in Circuit City and the picture doesn't look in the least bit soft. In fact I dunno what the settings were set to but I was watching Underworld Evolution on Blu-Ray in 1080p on it and it was easily the sharpest most beautiful PQ I've ever seen in my life, I couldn't even see any signs of edge enhancement.

Collapse -
other choices
by thephilmaster / March 22, 2007 9:29 PM PDT

yes we are also looking at some pioneer elite tvs, and we are looking for a 60-70 inch screen, but plasma has it's drawbacks (primarily i won't be allowed to play games on the tv if we get a plasma) lol, lots of decisions!

Collapse -
hm196
by thephilmaster / March 22, 2007 9:34 PM PDT

i will be going to bestbuy and looking at the toshiba dlp, but there is only the 72hm196, not the 195 that you said you have. (i actually work at best buy in home theatre so i will have all the time i want to fiddle around with the tv)

Collapse -
MR THEP BEST BUY IS THE BEST YOU GUYS ARE SO SHARP
by stewart norrie / March 23, 2007 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: hm196

I find that all you salesfolks are so well trained and all the t.vs are all displayed perfectly Its the only store to buy home theater gear. The Toshiba you mention is the same set I own But it seems Iam the only person on this planet that has one I do agree the smaller Sony screen size t.v. do put out a stunning picture Iam speaking of sets at 70" + I did check out the new 70" Sony hooked up with blue ray at b.b. and my Toshiba does put out a shapper image with more detial If you can find a 72" Toshiba 72HM195 they are selling for a tad over $3000 with stand thats half the price of a Sony The upside of Sony it does a better job at upconverting standard 480 480 on the Toshiba is OK please post back to me happy shopping and dont forget the snack bar steweeee

Collapse -
MR THEP 195, 196 SAME T.V.
by stewart norrie / March 23, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: hm196

First off you salesfolks at b.b. are the crem de la crem really well trained and sharp GOOD WORK. I spent a year looking for that perfect t.v. and when I saw the 195 I almost wet my self believe me the Toshiba does put a razer sharp picture but Iam talking about 70" + I dont want you to buy a t.v. blind but I see my 72HM195 now on sale for a tad over $3000 with stand thats a steel good shopping steweeee

Collapse -
still waitin
by thephilmaster / March 23, 2007 5:11 AM PDT

tonight i will be at bb, so i will check it out then, however i still believe we are waiting until the july/august maybe even to december to do this upgrade. that is why we are really looking for some deep color equipment, (frankily i could care less about the audio) but i want to see what a 10 bit color display with 10bit video source looks like. if there isn't a big difference, then screw it, we'll save some money and get a big tv without 1.3... however the first step, again, will be to look at the toshiba, just to see.

Collapse -
Well the thing of it is
by bkchurch / March 23, 2007 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: still waitin

You're not going to see alot of content with deep color for awhile. Since most people aren't going to have HDTV's that have 10-bit or higher color and even fewer are going to have devices that have HDMI 1.3 outputs, company's probably aren't going to waste time and resources implementing something that so few people will have access to. First you'll see it incorporated in a few PS3 games since the PS3 has HDMI 1.3 then as more TV's that support deep color are sold you may see it show up in a few Blu-Ray movies and over time it may grow to further popularity. Buying a TV with deep color is just going to prepare you for the future but it won't do you much good for a couple years, that's my guess at least. O and I wouldn't expect to see it on cable, dish, or OTA broadcasts for a LONG time considering how slow HD is catching on in that realm I wouldn't even expect to see 1080p in that area.

Collapse -
10 bit wanted only for dvd
by thephilmaster / March 23, 2007 1:25 PM PDT

all we really care about for 10 bit color, is on an hd-dvd / blueray player because i want them to look amazing! other devices, i dont care about

Collapse -
I Gotta Know
by EXCON / March 27, 2007 1:42 AM PDT

What drugs your takin Stewee! To compare ANY XBR2 let alone Sonys 33K TV with a Toshiba is like comparing an Audi TT with a Porsche 911. Both will get you there pretty quick but the Porsche will SMOKE the Audi. IMHO: The only TV on the market today that is as good as the new Sony's are the Pioneer Plasmas. There is no such thing as a "bargain high end TV" As with everything in H/Theatre you get what you pay for. A $100.00 remote will not perform like a $1000.00 remote. A 3000.00 TV will not perform like a 6000.00 TV let alone a 33,000.00 TV. I have yet to see ANY reviews that place the Toshiba anywhere near the "top of the line" TV's. Thats not to say its not a nice set, and you have $3000.00 in your pocket BUT the extra 3 grand Sony charges sure ain't for some fancy lookin exterior, your paying for the technology that Sony is famous for. Same goes for the laptops. Toshiba makes a nice "budget" laptop. Want the BEST? Buy a VAIO and look at the display Sony is famous for. Same olsd story: you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
I'LL BELIEVE IT, WHEN I SEE IT!!!
by Riverledge / March 23, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

HDMI 1.3 sure, DEEP COLOR, sure. We'll see.
As for a source for 'DEEP COLOR' [x.v. COLOR] I'd think the first sources will be Blu-RAY and OTA signals.

river.

Collapse -
WHY ARE YOU TRIPPING ABOUT DEEP COLOR AND 1.3.
by stewart norrie / March 25, 2007 2:40 AM PDT

There is no way you are going to have a better picture then a standard 1080I t.v. NO WAY . Dam When a display looks as sweet as movie film it just cant get any better than that. Yester I saw a new Pioneer Elite plasma and it almost seared my eyes it was so perfect MABEY YOU 1.3. FREAKS NEED NEW GLASSES. My new Blue ray player looks better than any movie theater in town you 1.3. are looking for something that isnt there steweeeee

Collapse -
u havent seen it yet
by thephilmaster / March 25, 2007 11:24 AM PDT

ok, well no need to be so abrupt about the 1.3 thing. That is precisely why we are waiting, because we want to see whether there is a difference or not. If both the tv and the source will support the deep color, then we may see a difference, and we may not, i will determine that when we get to that point. we dont want to just pay 4000 for a tv, to see in a couple months that there is a big difference, on the other hand, in a couple months if there is not a big difference, then the 4000 tv will be cheaper.

Collapse -
Yea definately wait but
by bkchurch / March 25, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: u havent seen it yet

Don't expect a big difference. Honestly go look at any high-end TV on the market right now hooked up to a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player and tell me how you can expect the color to get much better than that? The PQ on these things make it seem like your TV is just a window peering into some other place, everything looks lifelike and like you're really there. I don't know how much better one can expect it to get.

Collapse -
MR CHURCH THANK YOU FOR STICKING UP FOR ME
by stewart norrie / March 27, 2007 3:00 AM PDT

First off ever since I posted about my Toshiba 72" monster , I have had everyone hear bash my d.l.p. set everyone telling me how ****** d.l.p. sets look, even though d.l.p. is now being used in movie theaters . Fact is since I fired up my blue ray player I have had 26 friends and family come over to watch the new James Bond movie pot lucks etc. and all 26 people agreed that the picture looked just like a movie theater. In my travels the only display that looked better was the Pioneer Elite plasma not only was the picture perfect but you did not see the little dots that other plasma sets have The other fact is Sony does put out a sweet picture but there 70" monster looks terrible dim and way to soft There put that in your pipe and smoke it steweee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?