HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony 50" Android TV W800C cracked internal screen

by Yamzui / August 17, 2015 9:43 PM PDT

Something weird happened with my above said TV, while watching something like a wave appeared on the screen just above the logo followed by a 3inch vertical black line immediately switch off the TV examined the surface then switch on the TV oops! a small internal crack appeared and in few hours it spread to Half of the TV.
Called Sony Singapore and they sent a technician he examined and went back later Sony said that I banged or hit with some hard object at my 20days old TV so that the screen broke and issued me a product repair sheet as “panel cracked”!
I explained obviously no physical damage was done to this TV also asked them how could someone can broke a TV screen without a small mark or evidence on the plastic surface but no reply from them. .
Anyone out there affected like me? Since this is a 2015 model TV should I wait for more victims so that Sony will realize that some kind of defect in a batch or lot?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony 50" Android TV W800C cracked internal screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony 50" Android TV W800C cracked internal screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too bad.
by Rio0 / August 19, 2015 4:12 AM PDT

Spoiled in 20days! sorry about that thanks for letting us know.

Collapse -
Sony 43" Android TV W800C Panel Cracked
by EKAR0421 / December 1, 2015 7:44 PM PST

Same thing happened to me.

The TV set was bought for not more than a week (watched for three days). When turned on, half of the screen is cover with wavy patches. Sony technician came down and claimed that is due to panel cracked and "unrepairable"!!!
Does that mean i am going to throw away the $1,000 plus TV set which i just bought???

Collapse -
"TV set I just bought???
by Oldartq / December 2, 2015 10:19 AM PST

and no warranty? So they said it's your fault?

Collapse -
TV set I just bought???
by EKAR0421 / December 2, 2015 2:51 PM PST

Yes is under warranty, however the warranty does not cover panel crack (so not say you have warranty and you will sure to get a new set if spoiled). They claimed that is our fault to cause the panel to crack (well it sounded right as panel will not crack without reason...).

They offered a "discounted" repair for $750 after deduction of workmanship, transportation fee etc... is as good as buying a new TV set Sad

Collapse -
One last chance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2015 10:29 AM PST

If bought at Costco try bringing it back.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.