TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony 46 XBR KDL-46XBR3 vs. Samsung LN-S4695D?

by msmithnd / March 21, 2007 12:47 AM PDT

Which is better and why? Understand the Sony is rated higher but is it worth the extra $500 or so vs. the Samsung? Also, are both of these a level above the Sharp LC 46D62U which is around $700 cheaper than the Samsung? I'm struggling to understand the price gaps between these three TV's given that they are all 1080p.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony 46 XBR KDL-46XBR3 vs. Samsung LN-S4695D?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony 46 XBR KDL-46XBR3 vs. Samsung LN-S4695D?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, one factor is the oft repeated comment
by NM_Bill / March 21, 2007 1:33 AM PDT

here that superior Sony circuitry provides much better near absence of artifacts by processing upgrading of SD (standard definition) source material. Ya gets what ya pay for...

Collapse -
Sony/ Samsung.
by grc24 / March 21, 2007 2:42 AM PDT

I've never seen the Sony but I own the mentioned Samsung. it is a great TV with a very good SD picture. I can easily watch SD programming on this set. Of course, it's no comparison to HD programming but it is deffinately watchable. You should subscribe to DishNetwork or DirecTV though when you start talking about SD programming. The digital signal from satellite is much better than what you would get from cable. (Even digital cable isn't very good.)I have Dish and couldn't be happier. I just wanted to put my 2 cents in since everyone here is high on Sony and I just wanted to hipe my Samsung a little. It's a great set.

Good Luck shopping.

grc

Collapse -
consumer reports
by widojofus / March 21, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

consumerreports.org will probly the most accurate review of which is best and why.

Collapse -
consumer reports
by msmithnd / March 21, 2007 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: consumer reports

Interestingly, consumer reports lists these 3 tv's as the top LCDs in the 46 - 47" range. However, they are rated in inverse order of price.

Sharp: 77
Samsung: 72
Sony: 71

Sharp and Sony both listed as having "excellent" HD tv quality while the Samsung is listed as "very good". All other ratings equal except the remote for the Sharp supposed to be more user friendly (could care less about that).

Which brings me back to my question of what I'm getting by paying up for the Sony?

Collapse -
Sony's expensive, plain and simple.
by Spotted / March 21, 2007 1:40 PM PDT

For the XBR3, you're primarily paying more for the design of the TV (floating glass and piano black gloss bezel) and the brand inflation that comes from buying anything "Sony." May I ask why you're insisting on the XBR3 over the XBR2 or V series if price is such a concern? The XBR2 is $300 less has the same features minus black bezel and 6 months less warranty time (18 vs 12) and the V series model is even less. Since you don't seem to be interested in the aesthetics of a TV and are more interested in the features, so just go for the cheaper XBR2 or a V model.

If price is EVER a question for anyone in terms of buying new HDTVs, I highly suggest you steer clear of the XBR line. It's considered a premium TV series and "best bang for the buck" is usually never in the same sentence as XBR...go for a V series instead (essentially the same featurs as the XBR minus the elegant floating glass design).

Collapse -
by ..ben / March 22, 2007 3:04 AM PDT

I believe both TVs use the same LCD panel, but Sony uses a different backlighting system which yields slightly better results; both are excellent, though. Personally, I would stay away from the Sharps, as this past generation has had many reports of large swaths of banding in the displays linked to a manufacturing problem; supposedly the problem has been resolved, but the prices of this coming generation have supposedly gone up. But let's get back to the facts...

Both are superb. The extra cost of the Sony goes to the casing, the backlighting system, more picture tweaking ability without getting into service-level menus, superior standard-def performance, and the name Sony. Is all of this worth the difference in price? That's up to you.

If you're looking for someone to say which one performs better, on an absolute scale, the Sony performs better. Which one is a better vaule? Because the performance difference is slight, I'd say the Samsung is a better deal. But I can't tell you which one is better for you. (Right Bill?) Happy

They're both great TVs. No need to second-guess yourself... Go with your gut. Happy

Best,
Ben

Collapse -
Need to look deeper friend!
by DevlinQuince / March 22, 2007 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

Poster seems to really need this information so I am putting it all down regardless if you asked for it and I'm sure you know much of it already but in case you do not. Also I try to provide some clarification from previous posts.

xbr3 vs xbr2 vs V series... There really is not much of a difference between the xbr3 and xbr2 series models outside of the 'pretty black bezel'. The V series does not come close to the XBR2/3 in resolution and is not even close to the same TV. As stated previously you get what you pay for. If you decide on the Sony's and you are Rich get the XBR3 for the nice bezel. If you?re not Rich get the Silver frame and buy a new bezel later if you hit the lottery. Wink

Now on to the pay for subject... If you are going to spend thousands on a TV I would strongly suggest the following resources.

Manufacturers WebPages have the specifications. Use them to compare resolution, features, connectivity etc from different TV manufacturers. Use the information as your baseline of what you want at a minimum out of TV's.

Read CNET's reviews on the TV's. Read Consumer Reports reviews on the TV's. Read every piece of information you can find. Get to know the products.

Search the internet for Model Number with the word "Problem" and see what types of results you get... Careful here Anybody can post on the internet as I am gleefully displaying here. Wink

Keep in mind different manufacturers may list almost exactly the same specifications but the end result is the actual view.

Retailers are a great resource; I go to various stores a couple times a week looking at the TV's and still have not made my decision - although the xbr2 is at the top of my list. These are a great resource but always keep in mind signal degradation may play a role in what you are looking at. E.g. if the store has 50 TV's in a row you really have no way of gauging what the picture quality coming into the TV is and unless you check what the current settings on the TV are you don't know if they are even displaying the current picture in the best possible format. Ask them to directly connect via HDMI a HD or Blu Ray Player if that is your main concern. (and good luck with that...)If you have friends with the TV's go visit and ask for Demo's of standard and HD TV. Also look at progressive scan DVD players with upconvert technologies and how those pictures look. Also consider how many HD Channels your provider has.

For the real question you asked which is "What are you getting for the extra money?" Well one thing would be the overall picture. Go compare them and see if you see any difference between the models and you will have your answer. I know my exact opinion but I really think You need to see it for yourself to be able to decide. It?s not an easy decision for the money. I am still wrestling with my upcoming decision daily. Only you know what you can really afford to do.

Another consideration is that Sony IMHO has a reputation for providing Quality and Reliability in there TV's. I am not bashing the other manufacturers which IMHO do not have as strong a reputation but it?s like buying a vehicle.. If you think of a couple of manufacturers and then think about it... which do you think will be on the road longer....?

I'm pretty lucky and will likely end up with the 46" XBR2... Now what I really want is the 52" because the viewing distances would be much better suited to my living room but honestly I just can?t afford it however, I'll have made a somewhat informed decision based on lots of research and live viewing tests.

When you get all done with this painful process sit in your living room with your new TV and bask in the glory that is yours to behold.

*Dont forget to research, Line Conditioners vs Online UPS, TV Warranty costs, Receivers, Surround Sound Systems... Lots to know before you take the big dive!

Collapse -
GREAT POST
by hyghwayman / March 22, 2007 6:13 PM PDT

Cheers,
hyghwayman

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.