TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Sony 1080p SXRD vs. Samsung 1080p LED DLP

by cbusch69 / October 9, 2007 3:17 AM PDT

I am comparing these two sets and would appreciate any feedback on picture quality, features, etc. Thanks for your input!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sony 1080p SXRD vs. Samsung 1080p LED DLP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sony 1080p SXRD vs. Samsung 1080p LED DLP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which models are you interested in?
by GinoShea / October 9, 2007 3:59 AM PDT

You need to provide more info. Sony has several versions of the SXRD sets available right. Samsung offers many versions of rear projection televisions.

I have a Sony KDS55A2020. I have no complaints. A great set that I got at a great price.

When I bought my Sony I was waiting to see some new Samsung rear projection models that are powered by LED's that will not burn out. My Sony has a bulb in it with a lifetime of about 7,000. It'll cost about $250 to replace.

I got the Sony becauuse the Samsung's weren't available.

If you can, go to a store where they'll put both sets side by side. That way you can make a better choice.

If you decide between specific models check out CNET for reviews on that model. Also, put up some posts here. There are a few people who frequent this site who really know what they're talking about.

Have fun figuring it out....

Collapse -
Models
by cbusch69 / October 9, 2007 4:32 AM PDT

Thank you. I'm comparing the Sony 60" 1080p Rear-Projection SXRD HDTV (Model: KDS-60A3000) and the Samsung 61" 1080p Slim-Depth LED Engine DLP HDTV (Model: HL-T6187S).

Collapse -
by givemeaname / October 9, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Models

here is a review of the samsung:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/rearprojectiontvs/807sam5687/

the sony is very new, so there are no reviews, that I know anywhere.

I would go with the sony, because the samsung LED's are only on their 2nd gen LED & had troubles (off colors & brightness levels) with the 1st gens. It is a hard call, both are good tv's.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by legendbyname / October 9, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I have been considering both of these sets as well. I believe there is a Hl-T6189s that has more HDMI inputs, PIP, and maybe slightly better performance, but i haven't seen any reviews of it. That set may be more of a comparison of the KDS-A3000 series.

As far as I have read about both sets, The Sony model has overall better HD performance, and the Samsung model has slightly better SD performance. The LED sets have an estimated 20,000 hour lamp life which is very convenient compared to the estimated 6-8,000 hour life of the SXRD.

rainbows are still slightly viewable on the LED sets, but from what i've seen not nearly as bad. There are complaints of hot spots on the screen, where its brighter in the middle of the screen compared to the edges. I haven't seen many complaints about the A3000 model. The only thing that holds me back from purchasing the SXRD is the lamp life. However, I will probably wait a month or two until the prices start dropping for the holiday season. I am definitely leaning towards the SXRD, due to overall better PQ and reliability. But both sets are great, this is a tough choice.

Collapse -
Same Here
by bilbo692 / December 12, 2007 7:30 AM PST

I have been looking at both of these sets as well. The sony sounds fantastic and all but Samsung unit is sleek and doesnt look like my grandmothers T.V. set. Do you think there is any merit to the Samsung's 3-D capabilities?

The decision is incredibly difficult.

Collapse -
STILL PREFER THE SONY.
by Riverledge / December 12, 2007 8:57 AM PST
In reply to: Same Here

Riverledge.

Collapse -
sxrd head and shoulders better than any other micro display
by riddle823 / October 10, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

i sell tvs and by looking at these two sets everyday i can tell u the sony is by far a better tv. watch a dvd on the A3000 with the motion enhancement turned on and it will blow the doors off the samsung. the motion enhancement actually gives the tv depth, its creepy. also watch football on both of them. the samsung will turn everything green. notice the lines on the field and the whites on all the players uniforms and helmets. i would take the lamp replacement issue along with the picture quality of the sony over the lower maintenance of the samsung anyday. just be sure to hook up a UPS battery backup to it, it will keep your lamp replacement to a minimum.

Collapse -
Agreed. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2007 8:51 AM PDT

I sold them all, was able to view them all side by side. I had my choice, price was no object. I got the Sony 55" SXRD. Almost zero mosquito noise on SD programming (better than ANY other HD TV, ANY!) and zero screen door effect. Try that with DLP.

Funny you should mention the UPS. I got one almost immediately. And also connected my DVD/VCR upconverter combo to it 'cause the damn thing would have to be reset on every power glitch! Of my 5 DVDs and VCRs, it is the only one without a clock backup.

Collapse -
I RATHER PREFER THE SONY SXRD SERIES MUCH MORE..............
by Riverledge / October 10, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

Good viewing,

Riverledge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?