Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

SonicStage Dead! Now What for those of us with players?

by romanom / August 30, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

With Sony getting rid of SonicStage that leaves me with a big question.

What do I do with my player? Since I can only use Atrac or DRM-free music on the thing? Atrac is gone and despite all the news I don't see a large selection of DRM-free music yet.

Is there any way to change the firmware on the player, NW-S203F?

From the press release, I get the impression that no firmware change is coming.

Posted: 08/30/2007

When is the store closing?

Specific timing will vary by region depending on market demand, but it will not be before March 2008. Connect customers will be informed of relevant details in advance.

Why is the store closing?

We are moving to the open Windows Media

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SonicStage Dead! Now What for those of us with players?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SonicStage Dead! Now What for those of us with players?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
still usable
by yosoydorko / September 2, 2007 11:55 AM PDT

Your player will still continue to function after they shut down the Connect Music Service, no? You just wont be able to purchase any more music off from there. You are still able to rip CDs and use non-protected wma, non-protected aacs and mp3 on your NW-S205F. And, the music that you currently have on your computer will still be playable. But to protect your investment in all the tracks you've purchased from connect, you should burn audio cds as backups so you can rerip them into any format you want to in the future.

I own about 10 network walkmans and 3 NetMDs, so I can sympathize with your sentiments. I personally didn't have much problem with sonicstage myself, i ripped all my cds into atrac, so i guess my library was less problematic as other people's.

The newest sonicstage (4.3) is Vista compatible, so you should have a few more years before worrying about whether or not it will be supported in the new version of windows.

But for now, your 'old' player is FAAARRRR from useless

I went out and purchased a NWZ-A818 in black the other day, and i must say, it's a real nice player. Killing off sonicstage and connect was needed in order to gain more marketshare. I don't think it was possible for them to utilize both OpenMG and PlayForSure DRM technologies onto one player, so they had to pick and choose. Must have been hard for Sony too, wasting a lot of money and countless hours on the ATRAC format...

And even though the new players explicitly say they're for Windows, you can drag and drop files into it using the Windows browser, so in theory it should work with all operating systems. I'll stick with WMP11 though to get all my album art and stuff Silly

Collapse -
No it's useless
by romanom / September 10, 2007 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: still usable

Yeah thanks, I got all that from the Sony FAQ...

Since it's still great would like to buy it from me, $50!

It's useless...it's like a V8 car with 4 cylinders down...it may run, but it's still broken and therefore useless.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.