PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Sonic DLA Crashing Problems

by BamaSi / June 24, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

I updated my CD drive a while back, and it came with Sonic DLA. Ever since, the whole computer will completely freeze up (and I mean 'freeze', as in a complete halting of any sort of movement, not blue screen) after I stick any disc into the drive.

I disabled Sonic, then I uninstalled it, then I used Install Clean Up to get rid of the Sonic Encoders, I've uninstalled the driver, and the problem hasn't abated.

I want nothing to do with Sonic anyways, and I want it gone. If you have reason to believe that this problem is the consequence of something else, I'd love to hear a hypothesis.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sonic DLA Crashing Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sonic DLA Crashing Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you may need a patch to make it work
by arnol_ / July 1, 2006 11:21 AM PDT

My current computer, by HP, came with sonic software but it was without dla. HP tech support told me that it was because sonic dla is incompatible with sp2. However by then they had a patch to make it work with sp2. The patch HP had was bugged, but I eventually found one at Dell that worked. So you may want to check with your computer's OEM.

Collapse -
Patch worked .... for a week
by BamaSi / July 2, 2006 7:01 AM PDT

As a last-ditch alternative to reformatting, I downloaded the updated version of the DLA from Dell's website, and everything went fine for a week.

Then I stick in Far Cry, and the problem has returned again, as bad as it ever was (and yes, this happens for all CDs, not just Far Cry).

Collapse -
My kid has Far Cry and does not have DLA.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2006 7:50 AM PDT

Seems something not needed?

Bob

Collapse -
The Far Cry detail was superfluous
by BamaSi / July 3, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

Neither Far Cry nor DLA is necessary, I'm fully aware of this obvious fact. This tangent has nothing to do with the actual problem ... UNLESS there's some sort of eccentric bug involving Far Cry that I have yet to hear about.

But this is all completely moot. I've already uninstalled Far Cry, and I'll reiterate the fact that I want nothing to do with the DLA.

Collapse -
Same here
by cbjellybean1970 / July 4, 2006 11:44 AM PDT

I am having the same problem with crashing. It happened after I installed the disc. Did you ever solve the problem?

Collapse -
IS this a Far Cry Problem?
by BamaSi / July 7, 2006 12:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

Very bizarre. No, I haven't solved the problem ... I don't think.

The problem returned, as I said, and then it went away again for no apparent reason (it didn't crash when I stuck in NFL Head Coach). Today I stuck in a music CD, and it didn't freeze in the old fashion, but instead ... froze ... but in the windows-works-but-no-programs-load kind of way.

I'd love to hear a few more details about your problem, and if you have any leads.

I'm going to troll Far Cry-related message boards.

Collapse -
Nope, not Far Cry
by cbjellybean1970 / July 7, 2006 9:21 PM PDT

No I don't think it's a Far Cry problem. It's incompatable drivers. I didn't read the Sonic MyDVD small print. It said to uninstall IAA (Intel Application Accelerator driver). Apparently, it causes mayhem with the Sonic DLA. As a short-term solution, I disabled my DVD RW. I intend to ask Sonic to provide a solution to this problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!