General discussion

Sometimes the tech stuff goes on strike ...

I'm trying to restore order at home after some major renovation in the basement that included ripping out and replacing walls, replacing damaged ceiling, re-wiring the LAN and cable service. It's been about 3 weeks since we've been able to use the TV because it was buried under a protective tarp due to dust and such.

I also decided to move some computers around to match current work habits.

That's all straightforward, right? Or not.

Somewhere along the line the cable service was disrupted. I don't know if the Telco guy did it when he changed the Internet (it comes off the same box) or if the electricians did it when they re-routed the coax or if the set top box just rolled over and died. Of course we discovered the problem Saturday evening so there was no hope of a quick fix. I don't even know how to test if the cable is getting signal since everything has gone digital and requires a set top box. All I know for certain is that whether or not the coax is connected, the set top box reports a problem and says to contact the cable company - which makes me suspect that the electricians botched the cabling. It wouldn't be the only problem with the wiring that we have discovered this weekend. It's a bit annoying that when they go in to correct their errors they will mess up newly installed wall and ceiling.

Then I discovered that the computer I want to use to host the printer won't install the scanner driver. It's an older driver that installed just fine on XP (either original XP or SP1, can't remember) but the PCs are all up to SP3 now and it won't install (and from my reading it appears I'm not the only person struggling with this). It still works fine on the computer that's been hosting the printer for the last five years. Curiously, it works just fine under Windows 7. One of the service packs must have nuked something in the install program but not in the driver itself. Thankfully, Win 7 doesn't use an install program for this printer. Oh well. There isn't much chance that anybody will be writing new driver updates for 6-7 year old multi-function printers. I'll limp along for now. It isn't worth reinstalling the original XP and then doing all the updates just to get a scanner working. I'll hook it up to the laptop when I need to scan.

Here I thought that the hard part was over once the workmen were finished. It looks like the fun is just beginning.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Sometimes the tech stuff goes on strike ...
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Sometimes the tech stuff goes on strike ...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Driver tip

Quite often a manufacturer's driver for a later model in a particular series will work for earlier models in that series. I have for instance used the driver for an HP930C for an older HP750. Your mileage may vary...

- Collapse -
I thought about that, but

The computer I'm using is probably about due for replacement anyway and getting the driver to work just for printing was such a hassle that I probably won't fool with it anymore.

- Collapse -
inf file

If you can find the "*****.inf" file for the driver files you need to install, right clk on it and choose "install", then you can bypass the regular "setup.exe" type file which tries to do basically the same thing.

- Collapse -
Can't do that ...

I tried other installation methods. Sometimes there's a message about a 'class installer has denied the request to upgrade ...' (I'm not sure I'm quoting it exactly right) and sometimes a message about a corrupted INF. Downloading again didn't help. At this point it's just not important enough to keep spending time on it, but I was seriously annoyed over the weekend. I had better things to do than fight with stupid technical glitches.

- Collapse -
some suggestions
"Somewhere along the line the cable service was disrupted. I don't know if the Telco guy did it when he changed the Internet (it comes off the same box) or if the electricians did it when they re-routed the coax or if the set top box just rolled over and died. Of course we discovered the problem Saturday evening so there was no hope of a quick fix. I don't even know how to test if the cable is getting signal since everything has gone digital and requires a set top box. All I know for certain is that whether or not the coax is connected, the set top box reports a problem and says to contact the cable company - which makes me suspect that the electricians botched the cabling."

May we assume this means you have no TV signal at any TV? Do you have ONLY the set-top box, or is there another TV in home connected to a second set-top box, or a digital cable adapter?

You are trying to install a scanner driver for older "all in one" type of unnamed printer. It has a direct connection (USB?) to an XP with SP3 computer, which computer is also connected to a LAN by wire. First confirm this is an XP with SP3 computer by going to ControlPanel-System and seeing how it identifies the computer. If it isn't SP3, might as well take the time to upgrade it.

1) If USB connection and not old Centrex type, does anything else work on that particular USB plug?

2) With device unplugged from the computer, enter ControlPanel-System-Hardware-DeviceManager and look to see if the printer and scanner are listed there as devices. If so, then open each section in turn, find the device, right clk on Properties and choose to uninstall. Do this both for printer, scanner, and any fax function for the "all in one".

3) Unplug all other USB devices (if USB connected printer) except for keyboard or mouse. This will insure no other USB device interferes with the install. You can plug them back in later. Run the Setup program again and install each driver package for the "all in one" before plugging the device in. Even if after installing the printer portion and it says you may plug in device now, don't. Instead install the scanner part, then same for any fax part. If during the install it asks should it overwrite files, allow it, this will get rid of any older INF file. If you have a newer INF file it might ask if you want to use that one instead. Choose NO, but remember that means the manufacturer has probably released newer driver files you can try later if need be. Turn computer off, plug in device to a different USB port than the one it was plugged into. Reboot. Windows should recognize the parts of the "all in one" device now.

4)Still have problems then read the following pages, make sure you have Windows Installer 3.2 at least. You can also upgrade to Windows Installer 4.5 and see if that helps.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893803
Pertinent part of following page link included.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898628
To determine which version of Windows Installer is currently installed on the computer, follow these steps:

1. In Windows Explorer, locate the following file:
Msi.dll
This file is located in the Windows\System 32 folder.
2. Right-click Msi.dll, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Version tab. Note the file version number.
* If the version number is 3.1.4000.1823, the computer has Windows Installer 3.1 (v1) installed.
* If the version number is 3.1.4000.2435, the computer has Windows Installer 3.1 (v2) installed.

5) If all those efforts fail, then you can try manually adding the device by going to ControlPanel-ScannersAndCameras-AddDevice. If there is no "Scanners and Cameras" section in your Control Panel, then use Add Hardware.
- Collapse -
correction

Centronics or parallel port in above, not "Centrex". Hopefully your scanner printer isn't THAT old.

- Collapse -
The cable problem has been identified, but not solved ...

I couldn't do much trouble shooting with the cable because we have just one cable connection and just one cable box.

For some reason the electrician decided that using the existing coax was not on the agenda, so he ran new coax to the new outlet he put in. Never mind that it would have been MUCH easier and less expensive to just cut the existing coax down to the correct length for the new location. He then declined to connect the new coax to the cable box because 'they don't want us messing with their stuff' but NEGLECTED TO TELL ME that when the telco guy came to connect the new Internet access he also needed to connect the cable.

I'm pretty annoyed about the whole situation, especially since this means I get to pay for yet another service call from the telco. The telco installers usually take a few days to call about scheduling visits so I don't know when the problem will be solved.

As for the USB multi-function printer, I've done more-or-less all those steps (except upgrading msi.dll to 4.x) and the problem is that Windows refuses to install the INFs for the scanner. I'm tired of fooling with it. The computer is developing other unrelated problems anyway, and it just isn't worth spending a lot more time on it. I can't add it through the scanners/cameras because this model multifunction device isn't in that list. In fact, that list does not include ANY Brother models.

- Collapse -
Dedicated outlets

I was not aware until the move that a computer should have its own dedicated electrical outlet. (as a refrigerator does). When my son was having the 2 additions built along with the whole house remodeling, having the electrical contractor install those outlets where computers were used was recommended.

I have mentioned "home runs" for cable. before. It is best to have a separate cable to each TV, but even more important for a separate cable to each computer. There are 10 cables coming from this outside box. It did not cost extra except for the extra cable itself. Certainly makes trouble shooting easier.

Good luck.

Angeline

- Collapse -
I'm told there's a special section somewhere on the forums:

"Dr. Bill vs. technology" Happy

CNET Forums

Forum Info