Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Sometimes have to boot up twice.

lately when I boot up, the screen remains blank so I turn off using switch on processor as I cannot use start/off.

It usually boots up ok this time but I ask why this should happen.

I have a good clean/maintainance routine and I try daily to use
enditall
stinger
spybot 1.4
adware se
spywareblaster
regseeker
disk cleaner
regcleaner
A2
diskfrag(monthly)
clear all my inbox/sent items/deleted items/rec bin
Imy o/s is XP home

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Sometimes have to boot up twice.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Sometimes have to boot up twice.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How lately

In reply to: Sometimes have to boot up twice.

1/It maybe due to a new driver or program you installed so try and do a restore point.
2/ Try pressing F8 and load in safe mode and see if it freezes.
3/ Look in "event viewer for any errors and follow the links to help and support online.
4/ It maybe hardware/driver problems so try removing non essential hardware and replace one at a time to find out which is causing the problem- you may end up having to reactivate with Micr$oft so do this last.
5/ try entering the bios (press DEL at bootup - just exit without making changes and see if it loads OK - if it does you may have to reinstall motherboard drivers - also get updates for your bios and motherboard.
6/ Also when you first boot (at the same time as you would press DEL to enter the bios) press the PAUSE button and wait 30 seconds - then press any key to continue - if it starts OK let me know.
7/ Goto this site and see if you are overloading your power supply http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

If I think of anymore things you can do I will let you know.
Peter

Collapse -
One other thing

In reply to: How lately

Instead of closing windows down try putting your computer on standby (not hibernate)- that way your computer remains warm - be interesting to see if you have the same problems.
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.