Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

something wrong with google and yahoo today?

the google site seems to be down. cant access it, and yahoo too seems to be down. yahoo's main page launches but thats it, cant search or do anything else, even messenger and mail. is it just me or is there really something wrong with their system? (hope its just not me) anyway, if its just me, is it a virus or something?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: something wrong with google and yahoo today?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: something wrong with google and yahoo today?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Works for me just fine

In reply to: something wrong with google and yahoo today?

Tried both sites no sign of slow downs or anything.

Collapse -
omg!

In reply to: Works for me just fine

have you tried searches? omg whats happening to my connection. other sites seems to have no problem, only yahoo and google does not launch, or has issues. anyway, that was a fast reply of yours, thanks

Collapse -
No problems here either and

In reply to: omg!

I searched with both of them. I doubt if this is a virus problem but without having more information from you there's no way of telling. There is a note written in red above the subject box. Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem.Also, which browser are you using and have you tried a different one?

Collapse -
yahoo problems yesterday.

seem fixed today.

Collapse -
Just a W.A.G. but is Yahoo your....

home page? Have you got one of those deals offering you "extras"? In my case the Cable Co., indentured all who knew no better, to Yahoo! In effect all their net searching is running thru Yahoos site/search engine 1st. In such a situation, if Yahoo's search engine went down you wouldn't get the site you typed into their search bar (including Google). Just a left field chance. Happy

Collapse -
Try MSN website, click any link

if you have problem too, then you might need to reformat/reinstall.

I came across this problem a few month back (in 4 different PC and location) ...

In Google/Yahoo/MSN (and others) - unable to do search or click some link (doesn't work)

still doesn't know what causing it and how to fix it, so I reformat/reinstall.

Up to now, I still have two other PC with the problem (have not got the time to reformat/reinstall yet).

Collapse -
hmmm...

In reply to: Try MSN website, click any link

it went find this morning (yahoo and google) but now, almost the same time last night, the problem occured again. any advice? anyone?

Collapse -
msn doesnt work either

In reply to: Try MSN website, click any link

i think only ask.com worked

Collapse -
Did you read my post here

In reply to: msn doesnt work either

Collapse -
Roddy, while you replying to my post..

In reply to: Did you read my post here

I have posted the problem a few months back and no fix...

here is my systems (pls note I maintaining around 20 pcs - belong to a friends and families --, only a few of them have the problem (5 pc's, and I reformat/reinstall 3 of them)

I purposedly keep 2 pc's with the problems, in a hope of fixing it without reformat/reinstall.

.... The hardware are in a range of P-III and P4, 2ghz-3.2ghz, 256mb-512mb memory, 40gb-80gb Hd, MB are ASUS (various type) with Intel Processor.

OS on all of them: Windows XP Pro SP2 + all critical updates, IE 6.

NAV, Spybot SD, Adaware SE, Spywareblaster, with the latest updates

Scan with all the above + online scan (Trendmicro and Panda)

Problem:
1. Unable to search using google, yahoo, msn (maybe other site as well)

2. Nothing happened when clicking some link in google, yahoo, msn (maybe other site as well)

Note:
This problem only occured in some user account (Administrator or limited user) -- Not a problem on some other user account...

Create New user, end up with the problem.

Tried:
System Restore
Uninstalled IE6 and reinstalled
Copying or transferring user setting from known good user account and from other pc
Following many step and tips (given by several poster in my older poster)

Result: problem still exist

Since following the steps to fix it takes too much time.. I prefer to reformat/reinstall, its definitely faster with a Fresh system as side effect Happy

Collapse -
I was actually responding to

In reply to: Roddy, while you replying to my post..

levihalos because that was the original poster Melati. My response is directly under his/hers. I don't have a solution for either of you but was going to ask if either of you have tried IEFIX. It wouldn't hurt to try it even if it doesn't help. I had a real wierd problem with IE a few months ago that was NOT listed in the symptoms on this page but it fixed it for me. Grin
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm

Collapse -
hey guys i think its fixed already...

In reply to: I was actually responding to

i did not know what i did, but somehow my pc can access both google and yahoo with no problems anymore. the last thing i did with my pc was update my spyware doctor and did some scanning with it (funny, i did not notice spyware doctor detecting anything malicious) but my pc is already fixed (i hope). thanks for the concern.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Glad it's working for you now levihalos :D

In reply to: hey guys i think its fixed already...

Collapse -
sir roddy32 hope you can help melati...

In reply to: Did you read my post here

since i think he experienced the same problem i encountered, but thankfully, my problem got fixed (i hope) without me doing anything Happy thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.