Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Something (was) wrong with tunnel.sys

I've had a rather tricky problem recently. Three times this week, my Vista Home Premium install has gone wrong. Every time it has just stopped half way through booting, and done nothing more. Each time I have simply popped the install DVD in the drive and used the system restore on the disc to sort it out.

While checking if Safe Mode made any difference (it didn't), I found out that Vista loads crcdisk.sys and then stops. Consulting my (old) boot log, I think I can be pretty certain that the driver after this one is tunnel.sys.

The problem flared up when my computer simply wouldn't boot the Windows DVD - the BIOS did it's job fine and the message "Windows is loading files..." came up with the white bar, but after that it just returned me to the useless hard drive boot screen.

To sort this problem out, I have had to remove the hard drive from my computer and put it in an external caddy, plug it into an old computer (via USB), boot the Vista DVD on that machine, and do a system restore from there. I also used the hard drive checker (in the Tools tab of the properties dialog for the disk - it showed up as an external hard drive) and the other tools on the drive for good measure, and returned it to my computer.

I am currently typing this into Firefox on the Vista machine, so everything is working fine *right now*. However, all my system restored points have disappeared, which is odd.

When I contacted my computer's manufacturer (Eclipse Computers), they told me to format the drive and start again - fat chance!! - and warned that it might be a virus/other malware. Mainly for peace of mind, I have installed the full Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 suite, and will buy it once the trial ends. I think that

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something (was) wrong with tunnel.sys
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something (was) wrong with tunnel.sys
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Causes I've run into.

In reply to: Something (was) wrong with tunnel.sys

Favorites I'm running into.

1. Heat.
2. BIOS out of date.
3. Hard disk cables.
4. Just big enough hard disks.
5. 4GB RAM. (long story!)
6. Hard disk prep done improperly (Hint: didn't use the Microsoft installer.)
7. Pirated OSes (coming up fast now, seen hundreds of XP and now Vista.)
8. Odd combo's that don't work together of hardware and "protection" software.
9. Overclocking.
10. Drivers (missing or old.) Hint: Old = came from CD in motherboard package!

Collapse -

In reply to: Causes I've run into.

OK...

1. I have a temperature gage on the front of my PC and it rarely tops 35
2. I'll have to check
3. ? I only use one! (but it goes into the 3rd SATA slot!)
4. Nope. less than 50% full
5. Ooh. I have 4GB RAM and 32-bit Vista - should I remove 1GB?
6. I did actually install this legally on *one* computer using my original key and DVD!
7. Ditto
8. Hm... what do you mean by protection software - anti-virus or other?
9. I wouldn't dare Wink
10. I've used DriverAgent to check this, but I will check again...

Drivers are out-of-date for a handful of things (network card, webcam, GPU, HD audio and PCI system management), but I think they have been for a while. Could any of these be the culprit?

Thanks!

Isaac

Collapse -
I think you nailed it.

In reply to: ...

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: I think you nailed it.

I might just use DriverAgent as it refers me to the correct drivers, which makes my life easier.

Thanks again!

Isaac

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.