Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Something running in the background

We are on a small network with 100 or so users. We are on a sattelite system in Iraq. This system runs great at 1ms to 300ms. I have found some computers with a 6 character.exe process running under the user in the task manager. When these computers are connected to the network, the speed incresses to the thousands and times out. I have had no luck keeping these from comeing back. They say they are system security updates? But they they keep the system down and return even after deleteing them from the registrey and files. Please help us! This is what they look like. icfsnp.exe, bjhvte.exe ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something running in the background
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something running in the background
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Something running in the background

In reply to: Something running in the background

What OS are you running, where did you find the files, and how big are they? If you're using XP try disabling first the system restore, reboot, look again for these files, and delete them. You may need the antiparasite suite.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Something running in the background

That's right, forgot that you have to disable system restore. Boot into safe mode. You could try some of these programs (some are available at CNET): Adaware6, SpybotSearch&Destroy1.2, and Spywareblaster (it cured my friend's pc, he was about to reformat the hd). I run all three on my PC with no problems, although Spywareblaster needed to be tweaked because I go to rebate sites, and I need their "tracking" cookies to get my money, otherwise I cannot use the links to the other shopping sites. Visit Steve Gibson's web-site.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Something running in the background

I copied your inquiry to the nice people at "The Ultimate Troubleshooter." They have some great free programs, too.

Collapse -
Sounds like one of the XP Worms.

Look up HOUSECALL on google.com

Collapse -
Re: Sounds like one of the XP Worms.

In reply to: Sounds like one of the XP Worms.

Great idea. I go there several times a week! Trend Micro has the top spot in Consumer Reports mag antivirus ratings! Or just go to www.trendmicro/housecall.com

Collapse -

ummm I don't know much about networks, although I read up on them at Steve Gibson's web-site yesterday morning. Have you tried "Hijack This?" What is the source of the security updates? Your firewall? There is a web-site that can tell you what the processes are...I am trying to remember; there is a web-site that you can download a program (free for trial) which will explain everything...My mind is gone; can't find it in my bookmarks.. I hate MSN8. Trying to remember if I visited BornHigh.com and found the links from there... Find "The Ultimate Troubleshooter". Another good program is RegCleaner...cause I hate changin the registry, but I finally got rid of all traces of Mr. Gozilla (Gain, Claria, etc) from my registry and Start up (it was some sort of dial up fix in the start up) I'd uncheck it, reboot the PC, and there it would be again...What kind of security do you have? and satellite systems I know even less about. I'll see if I can dig up some research on those two processes. GL

Collapse -

Symantec has virus removal tools (for free) as does McAfee; in addition to Housecall. I am still searching for the 2 file names. Are you sure they are spelled correctly. Find "Hijack this" and copy & paste it here, it would be helpful!

Collapse -

Collapse -

From "The Ultimate Troubleshooter:
I copied & pasted some of the information:
Icmon ICMon.exe

(Sophos) Sophos AntiVirus InterCheck Activity Monitor. InterCheck is the on-access virus scanning feature of Sophos AntiVirus. "On-Access Virus Scanning" means that files are virus scanned in the background as and when they are accessed. The InterCheck Activity Monitor, ICMON, is no more than a System Tray icon which you can click on to check that on-access virus scanning is enabled (Active), to check how many files have been virus scanned since your last boot, and to see what was the last virus scanned file.

Recommendation :
This is a harmless System Tray icon. We would suggest to leave it alone so that you are always able to check quickly that your Sophos AntiVirus software is active.
Iconfig Iconfig.exe

(Shuttle Technology / now SCM MicroSystems) System Tray background task which gets installed by the drivers for Shuttle Technology products (now part of SCM MicroSystems). SCM MicroSystems is an OEM manufacturer ? that is, it makes/assembles the original products which are then sold under various badges by other companies (e.g. DataFab, Hewlett-Packard, Apple, etc..). The products include USB card readers, USB CD-Writers, USB Zip or Flash Drives, USB LS-120 drives, etc.. ICONFIG sits in the System Tray and its sole purpose seems to be to provide connection and status info about your USB device.

Recommendation :
On some systems, and depending on which reselling manufacturer has adapted the original drivers, ICONFIG hogs resources and also causes crashes. Disable with The Ultimate Troubleshooter if you have unexplained problems.
Icsmgr
ICSMGR.exe

(Microsoft)
ICSMGR gets installed on any PC which shares an Internet connection using Microsoft?s Internet Connection Sharing protocol (ICS). This program, which relays all DNS and DHCP requests, is vital if your PC is accessing the Internet via ICS.

Recommendation :
Leave alone if you are on an ICS network. If you are not, remove Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) from the Network icon in your Control Panel as its presence can often cause [sometimes serious] conflicts or unnecessary complications when you are configuring network components of your PC.

Icwconn1
ICWConn1.exe

(Microsoft)
If this task is currently running, then you have the Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard currently open. If, however, this entry is on the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter, it will usually look like this : ?C: \ Program Files \ Internet Explorer \ Connection Wizard \ icwconn1.exe / desktop?. It will have been put there by a past installation of Windows or of Internet Explorer to ensure that you always have an icon on your desktop labelled ?Connect to the Internet? and which enables you to start the Internet Connection Wizard (if the icon is deleted from the desktop, this startup entry ensures it is recreated at your next bootup).

Recommendation :
As a startup entry, it is down to end‑user preference as to whether you keep this entry or not. Advanced users who know how to create Internet connections will usually have no need for this entry and will delete it from the Startups tab of The Ultimate Troubleshooter. Less advanced users, on the other hand, may wish to leave it enabled so that they always have an easy way to create new Internet connections straight from the icon on the desktop (if you need to recreate your Internet connection at some point and you ask your Internet Service Provider to help, your ISP?s tech engineers will usually favour walking you through via the ?Connect to the Internet? desktop icon).
I could not find the other process listed. As I stated, a full listing of running processes would be helpful. Probably legit processes! Don't panic...(My famous last words as I see the black screen of death on my XP machine, lol; on 98 it was the blue screen.)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.