Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Something MAY be fishy in King County, Washington!

by Paul C / January 1, 2005 9:33 AM PST

After three vote counts, Democrat Christine Gregoire was certified as the winner of the closest gubernatorial election I've ever seen. Ms. Gregoire's margin of victory over Republican Dino Rossi was but 129 votes out of over 2.6 million votes cast.

Most of the increase in Ms. Gregoire's margin came from heavily Democratic King County, where additional votes mysteriously appeared during the third (hand) recount (Dec. 13 entry in timeline).

Now, we find that over 3,500 more votes were certified by the state in King County than the number of voters who cast ballots according to county voting records:

As has been the case since Election Day, much of the attention is focused on King County. Republicans are asking questions about why the county's list of registered voters who cast valid ballots in the election shows about 3,500 fewer people than the total number of votes certified in the race.

They also continue to search for military voters who say their ballots either didn't arrive overseas in time for the election or weren't counted when the votes were returned home. Rossi appeared at a news conference with the parents of a Marine serving in Iraq who got his ballot the day after the election.

Certainly, this must be an honest error, right? Maybe not, says Dave Logan, King County elections director:

...Logan said it is not unusual to find a discrepancy that must be reconciled through a painstaking comparison of computer data and other records after votes are counted. He said that two recounts have meant the county could not do that work as quickly as usual.

But the discrepancy in this election appears to be larger than usual.

"I think historically the data has never been reconciled 100 percent between ballots cast and the voters given credit for voting," Logan said. "I think 3,500 is higher than what I'm comfortable with. ... I would be less concerned if we were in the range of 1,000 or 1,200."

Seems like one helluva fudge factor to me even at 1,000 votes in this close an election.

Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed, meanwhile, says that it's very possible that Gregoire won't be sworn in on Jan. 12 as scheduled:

While Rossi said he won two of the three counts, Gregoire pointed out, "The winner was only when the manual recount was done and that was today."

That's Reed's position, too.

But the issue of the mismatched numbers in King County came as a surprise to him. And while he said some discrepancy is not unusual as counties reconcile records after an election, the number in King County is large enough that he sent a staff member to investigate.

"This is exactly the kind of issue that I think can be brought up in the contested-election statutes," Reed said.

But why did he certify the election if the numbers are in doubt?

"What I signed was a certification for the numbers that were submitted to us by the counties," he said. "I am not in a judicial or an investigative role here.

Do we have some Democrat ghost voters here? I don't know, but I perceive the first whiffs of an unmistakable stench here!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something MAY be fishy in King County, Washington!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something MAY be fishy in King County, Washington!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Democrats stealing elections? I am shocked!
by EdH / January 1, 2005 9:54 AM PST
Collapse -
I too am shocked! Don't we need a hand count to make
by Kiddpeat / January 1, 2005 2:02 PM PST

sure that ALL the votes were counted? More votes than voters? Gosh! I wonder how that could have happened in a hand count of a Democrat controlled county. As Mayor Daley would have said, Wink

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?