Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Something is wrong with my internet

I'm having an internet related problem. If my internet idles for somewhere around 1-3 minutes and more, it gets really slow and internet explorer says that it cannot display the page. I then click refresh and it instantly loads with no problem. Sometimes, the page does manage to load, and it's good from there. I am using Internet Explorer version 7, but I don't think it has anything to do with this because I've been using this version for months and this annoyance started several days ago. Also, I discovered that me constantly using the internet connection does not affect the lag that comes. I get the big lag somewhere between 1-3 minutes regardless of what I do. What should I do? Sad
I'm running Windows Xp Home SP2 on a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 512 MB of RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Something is wrong with my internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Something is wrong with my internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Phishing Filter

In reply to: Something is wrong with my internet

I was having similar problems and may have just found the answer just minutes ago. According to Microsoft, this may be a problem with the phishing filter. If your web page contains alot of frames or if you browse several frames in a short time, it causes high CPU usage. There is a resolution available from Microsoft. You can download the 928089 package or you can disable the phishing filter. You can find the download by searching for KB928089 at Microsoft.com.

Collapse -
Phish filter wasn't it :(

In reply to: Phishing Filter

Darn, I was convinced that it was the phish filter that was causing the problems for me but after I installed the fix from microsoft.com and restarted the computer and even tried disabling phish filter as a secondary solution from microsoft, both failed to fix the problem. I don't think the root of the problem has to do with IE7 because this affects other internet-using programs too, like Windows Live Messenger. When I send a message to anyone, the chat window freezes, then my message shows up in the chat box almost 10 seconds later. However, whoever I send a message to receives my message instantly, so it seems that the lag is one sided.
I want to ask, does this seem like an internet connection issue or a computer issue? Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
This did it for me.

In reply to: Phish filter wasn't it :(

It sounds like your having the same problem I had. Took me months to solve it! This is what I did and my connection is now fine:
Download HiJAckThis if you dont already have it: (http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html) Close all open windows and run. When the test finishes you will probably find this in the log, I did:

O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\rlls.dll

It is caused by a certain piece of adware called marketscore relevant knowledge. You may have already removed this using spybot, but check the following anyway:
Find it in add/remove programs in control panel, it will probably be called RelevantKnowledge or something similar. Remove it, and delete folder in Program files.
Remove any exceptions in your firewall called RelevantKnowledge,RK or similar.
Then run fully updated Spybot (download here http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html) Remove any nastys.
Now if you followed those instructions your connection will probably still not be working properly because of damaged winsock files in windows caused by the removal of RK. To remedy this, download and run WinsockXPFix: (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html)
Reboot when instructed, then run HiJAckThis and the unknown files should be gone.
This made my connection function normally again.
Some people use LSPfix instead of winSockXPFix, you can download it here: (http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm) I did not use this program though, WinsockXPFix sorted it for me first time.
Afterwards even though my connection was fine, the rlls.dll file was still in my system32 folder. I deleted it to no ill effect.
Its probably a god idea to run registry mechanic afterwards.
I hope this solves your problem, it solved mine after months of headaches!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.