Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

something is wrong in safe mode don't know what to do

hello

For some days the only way manageable for my computer to work in safe mode by arrow keying down to VGA mode. I turned on my computer as I've been doing in safe mode -- going VGA. The safe mode screen do longer displays VGA . This appears in safe mood. .
Boot in safe mode
Boot safe mode networking
Boot safe mode at command prompt
Last known configuration
Start windows normally

Tried all of the above none are working. I've boot in safe mode do to getting this message "out of range" and I can not get passed it to get to desktop. I am just stuck there. I boot into safe mode by pressing F8 and also tried starting the computer and then rebooting a the widows logo to safe mode. No VGA option. Don't know what to try in safe mode or trying something else.

I try doing my home work in regards to my other question unsupported drivers. Just don't know what else to do but post another time. Please help. Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: something is wrong in safe mode don't know what to do
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: something is wrong in safe mode don't know what to do
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually, that's been reported many times.

In reply to: something is wrong in safe mode don't know what to do

When all safe mode modes fail that means there is deep damage to the OS or a hardware failure. The long story is that XP support is hard to find and there are no "supported drivers" today. All the companies are taking the exit now. You may mean something entirely different such as what drivers may work but using the words support and XP is well, no longer funny. Keep going, tell more about this PC so folk can find what drivers might work.

And let's hope you had a backup of the working system. Many forgot to do that!
Bob

Collapse -
Installing the new operating system

In reply to: Actually, that's been reported many times.

Bob

I don't recall doing a backup of the working system. But I would like to do the Clean install of Windows Xp Professional anyway I am to far in. I made a list of the drivers in device manager and would like to show them to you. Someone mentioned downloading Speccy to review my system. But unfortunately that information can not be retrieved because that computer is malfunctioning. Perhaps installing xp professional will clear up any operating system malfunction.

Others also gave me a website where I can find drivers for this computer. My computer is 12 years old and when I look for drivers at the provided website they appear to go back to Windows 2000 or 2002 while some go back to xp. Can this be true that the drivers I saw at device manager are that old. The operating system was installed in 2013 xp version could those drivers go that far back even with newer operating system. If I provide you with the names of the drivers I found at device manager and post them at the thread unsupported drivers. And another time coming back with what I have researched from the provided website. Can you give me an idea if the drivers will work.

Lastly like to download drivers and save them on to disk. Can you briefly show how to. Please.........any other input from the forum members would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Collapse -
Sorry no I can't.

In reply to: Installing the new operating system

I re-read your last post and while there are many fine guides on the web there is no step by step for your PC. It's one of the reasons folk run screaming to Apple and hand them their wallets.

OK, I've never found XP in any version to change this issue. We're stuck with the old ways. Inventory the machine, find the maker's web sites and collect the drivers and make notes about how to install and in what order.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
what do you see

available in display properties when you are in safe mode?

Collapse -
safe mode

In reply to: what do you see

I can make any these selection in safe mode.

Boot in safe mode
Boot safe mode networking
Boot safe mode at command prompt
Last known configuration
Start windows normally

And I'll get a run through. But without a return of desktop and then seeing the message out of range.

Collapse -
safe mode won't boot to a display?

In reply to: safe mode

Have you tried another monitor?

Collapse -
yes

In reply to: safe mode won't boot to a display?

Tried another monitor. Same thing. I get the run through.

Collapse -
I don't know

In reply to: yes

what you mean by "run through". If you mean it looks OK except for not seeing the desktop display you wanted, but some other desktop, and since you have tried another monitor, then it's some corruption of your windows system. If the computer is old and with original drive, then maybe a bad spot lost some necessary files. Are you able to create a new profile? Boot into Admin mode?

Collapse -
I just looked at your other threads

In reply to: yes

Other than mentioning "maybe Compaq" I've not found what computer system this is, or the motherboard used, etc. I see you've been doing a couple upgrades, not sure from which system you started, but see XP and W7 mentioned. If you can see enough on the screen to read characters in Safe Mode then your whole problem seems to be driver related. That means the correct drivers for the video card or onboard video chip that is on your computer. Unless you know the make and model, or the motherboard model (usually printed directly on the motherboard) you are shooting in the dark in hopes you hit the correct driver files. If this computer is old enough and only using a video card inserted into a PCI slot, (I sure hope not so old it's ISA slot) then you'd need to know the make and model of the video card.

You've been pointed to Speccy, but I don't see any info provided from it.

Does this computer have a DVD drive, or only a CD drive?

If you provide proper information about the system, then you can be pointed or linked to the proper driver files for your system (motherboard).

Collapse -
Answer
video issue.

out of range usually means there is something wrong with your video, open the case and make sure it is dust free. While open, check all cables and cards making sure everything is securely connected. If you have another monitor cable, give it a try. If not, disconnect then reconnect.

Collapse -
video issue

In reply to: video issue.

Tried. Appears to be out of range.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.