Computer Help forum

General discussion

Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......

by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 2:32 AM PST

Hello.....I only know how to operate a computer, and that's about it! So this may seem like a stupid question, but....I was wondering something, someone was trying to help me with my computer, and they told me to go to http://host.mediagonal.net/ so I could get my Hostname and IPAddress. What info can be found out about me if they had that information?? Any and all help you can give me on this would be appreciated!! Thanks in advance for your time!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
by Cursorcowboy / February 23, 2004 2:49 AM PST

1. Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be very helpful:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

2. You can also use the NETSTAT -a command at an MS-DOS prompt to show local active TCP ports. Use NETSTAT -aon to show which processes are involved with the active ports.

3. In addition, type ipconfig at the MS-DOS prompt and then press Enter for an additional display.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:Re:Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 2:58 AM PST

Hi Cursorcowboy.......thanks for your quick response. To your point 1....The reason I did not put info about my computer, is because it is a general question I had regarding what info could be found out if someone had my Hostname and IPAddress. I did not need any help with "my computer" so what type of computer I have and what windows I am running, would not matter.

To your other points........as I said in my message, I only know how to use a computer, and thats about it, so everything else you said in your message is greek to me. All I would like to know is if someone got ahold of my Hostname and IPAddress, if there is anything they could do with it like find out info about me or spy on me? Any info you or anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your time and consideration.

Collapse -
Re:Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2004 3:02 AM PST

Mydiemyn,

The IP address and host name to your computer give the exact location of your computer on the internet. Websites such as the one you have given, depending on the browser security you have set up, have the ability to determine that information. As Curosrcowboy indicated, you can find that information other ways as well. Giving out your IP address is like giving your address and telephone number to someone. That information can be used by unsavory individuals to hack into your machine or could allow an individual to place remote access software on your machine and make changes to it. It's your choice about whether you want that to happen or not.

If you have a dial-up connection to the internet, the IP address will change slightly each time you connect. If you use a broadband connection, the IP address may or may not change.

Be cautious who you give out your IP address to.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re:Re:Someone wants to know my Hostname and IPAddress......
by myndiemyn / February 23, 2004 3:09 AM PST

Grif,

What do I do if I have given this information to someone to keep them from taking advantage. I have a dls connection. I am freaking out right now. Please, please help me!!!!

Thanks,
Myndie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.