Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Someone is smelling money in Missouri

by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2014 9:59 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Someone is smelling money in Missouri
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Someone is smelling money in Missouri
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this is why
by James Denison / August 28, 2014 4:49 PM PDT

they should give a warning that "shoot to kill" will go into effect within the hour and curfew will be enforced.

Collapse -
they need to be smelling
by James Denison / August 28, 2014 4:52 PM PDT

more tear gas it seems.

Collapse -
Or maybe it would have been better
by Steven Haninger / August 28, 2014 6:43 PM PDT

had the police not shown up at all. Let 'em have their tantrum in the neighborhood this happened and only intervene if it spills outside. Of course the police would be sued for that too. This whole incident will just encourage others to do the same if money can be made. Sorry, but if you create a war zone, whoever is sent to try and calm things down isn't going to bring flowers and peace symbols.

Collapse -
they did that in Watts, now....
by James Denison / August 29, 2014 3:22 AM PDT

....renamed South Central Los Angeles. Seems even changing the name doesn't change the people living there. After that last riot, LA should have changed the name back to Watts.

Collapse -
The presense of the press with lots of cameramen
by Steven Haninger / August 29, 2014 3:43 AM PDT

didn't help. It's well known that news media coverage inspires a mob rather than dampens their mood. The police were right to try and chase them away for two reasons. Reason 1 would be remove media attention that was what the activists wanted. Reason 2 would be not taint any court proceedings that might make it more difficult for the justice system to treat all parties fairly. It's extremely important that media coverage hasn't limited the possibility of finding an impartial jury. Whether or not these were reasons considered by the police in trying to push news media back behind the line, they was still proper IMO.

Collapse -
(NT) sort of segregate the situation?
by James Denison / August 29, 2014 3:25 AM PDT
Collapse -
Maybe
by itsdigger / August 29, 2014 4:19 AM PDT

But maybe instead of not showing up .... Surround the area to keep the violence contained . No more people enter either for their own safety . If the crowd gets close to the line, just back the police up a couple of more blocks.

See how the "locals" deal with out of towner's, burning down the businesses and homes in the neighborhood they have to live in....

Digger

Collapse -
Turns out most of the violence was from outsiders
by Diana Forum moderator / August 29, 2014 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

When the outsiders were kept out, the protests were peaceful.

Diana

Collapse -
I agree with that approach
by James Denison / August 30, 2014 2:35 AM PDT

Cordon it off and "residents only" policy till calm is restored. Any visitors during that time, such as the usual money sucking "black leaders" who we all know will show up for the cameras, must first obtain police permission to visit the area. Any that aren't "leaders" but members of gangs and have criminal records, detained for questioning on why they are there.

Collapse -
I don't think you can do that
by Steven Haninger / August 30, 2014 2:47 AM PDT

There's no preventive action they can take. With freedom of speech and assembly to hide behind, all cops can do is to try and manage the damage and mop up later.

Collapse -
I think the people that live there would agree to keeping
by Diana Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 5:10 AM PDT

the outsiders out.

Diana

Collapse -
One. An *unarmed* young man gets killed at a distance from
by Rob_Boyter / August 29, 2014 12:10 AM PDT

the officer. Roughly 25 feet as I understand it. (And I'm leaving aside the questions raised by the cell phone audio which has come to light and the number of casings recovered, 12. That's 2 shots before the cellphone audio, plus 6 more on audio, a pause of 3 or 4 seconds and then 4 more shots. What? He wasn't dead enough??)

Two. He is then left lying in the middle of the street for 4 or 5 hours in the middle of the street, and is only covered over as an afterthougth an hour or more later. The site wasn't cordoned off in any of the images and footage I saw. When has it ever taken 5 hours for the Crime Scene Techs to show up to a homicide?

Three. This is a community with long running deep seated problems between the police and a large segment of the population, and a remarkable astonishing imbalance in colour make up between the police force (93% white) and the community (60+% black)..

Fourth. The police response was, as has been discussed endlessly, excessive and "militaristic" to the point that the State Troopers had to be brought in. Both the State Trooper Captain Ron Johnson and your favourite whipping boy Attorney General Eric Holder were able to calm the locals at least temporarily just by showing up and talking, something which the local police and City administration failed to even attempt.

And Fifth. Lawsuits always arise in America out of situations like this. It's not a surprise, that there would be a law suit was certain from the second the Police Officer shot the young man, let alone the police response to what had been peaceful protests. And in case you didn't notice, the police were targetting journalists and cameramen. I'm surprised that it has taken this long for lawsuits to be filed.

Rob

Collapse -
and if they'd just go home
by James Denison / August 29, 2014 6:23 AM PDT

all gather around the table for supper, hold hands while saying a blessing for the food they have, and then minded their own business, nobody would be on the streets, them or the cops. I guess that's asking too much from them?

Collapse -
You left out one important point, Rob
by TONI H / August 30, 2014 12:07 AM PDT

The cop had an up close and personal confrontation with Brown IN the police car where Brown assaulted him and broke the orbital socket of his eye, allegedly was trying to the cop's gun from his holster and shots rang out.....I suspect by the cop trying to keep from being assaulted again.

AND Brown WASN'T dead until the final shot to the head....all the rest of the shots either missed completely or hit him in the right side of his body (all shoulder and arm hits).

According to SOME of the witnesses, Brown was charging at the cop when he finally went down. If YOU had a debilitating facial wound and obviously couldn't see very well anymore, but well enough to know Brown was coming back at you for another 300 pound, 6'4" attack on your body, with your adrenaline pumping heavily would YOU not keep firing until he was put down? Survival instincts kick in without you even being aware it's happening, Rob.....

Figure this out carefully....the COP didn't know about the robbery that took place a few minutes before the encounter, but BROWN knew and probably thought he was being stopped for that reason..........that cop had no clue WHY he was being assaulted by this huge 'teenager'.

Collapse -
The cop did not have his orbital socket broken
by Diana Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 5:13 AM PDT

That was proven wrong after he went to the hospital.

As to the car confrontation, there are different stories about that as well as whether the cop knew about the robbery.

Diana

Collapse -
Actually, not so much, Diana
by TONI H / August 30, 2014 7:43 AM PDT

The only media so far stating that as 'fact' is CNN based on an unnamed source.....so we have an unnamed source stating it was broken and another unnamed source saying, nope.

Since the grand jury is confidential, we still don't know that as a fact....but for sure there WAS a physical confrontation and it involved the cop's face between the two prior to the shooting. THAT is undisputed so far by ANYbody.

Collapse -
This is from CNN
by Diana Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 8:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's exactly what I said
by TONI H / August 30, 2014 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: This is from CNN

CNN is the only media reporting this information based on an unnamed source.....but it was also an unnamed source that originally said the socket was broken. We'll eventually find out.......but in any event, there WAS a personal confrontation between the two that involved the cop's face.

Collapse -
The same source that said he did said he didn't
by Diana Forum moderator / August 30, 2014 11:04 AM PDT

The altercation in the car has been reported two different ways as well. One said that he slammed the car door in the cops face and the other said that he jumped out of the car and the car door hit the end of it's swing and came back and hit the cop.

Who knows? I keep hearing that eye witness is the least reliable testimony.

Diana

Collapse -
one of the guys with Brown
by James Denison / August 30, 2014 5:14 PM PDT

is claiming the door swung back on it's own. Is he lying? Is he telling the truth? Has he a personal interest in all this?

Collapse -
I've had a car door swing back on me while exiting
by Steven Haninger / August 30, 2014 7:45 PM PDT

It catches my legs and not my face.

Collapse -
you are supposed to
by James Denison / August 31, 2014 12:07 AM PDT

fall out of your car, not step out of your car, especially if a policeman in Ferguson.

Collapse -
and shot in
by TONI H / August 31, 2014 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: you are supposed to

the top of your head so the bullet comes out of your cheek while kneeling with your hands in the air instead of charging headfirst at the cop with the gun.........

Collapse -
RE: I keep hearing that eye witness
by JP Bill / September 1, 2014 12:58 AM PDT
I keep hearing that eye witness is the least reliable testimony.

Eyewitness Accounts in Ferguson — and Everywhere Else — Are Very Flawed

Rather, it's much more flawed and easily malleable than a video recording. As Lilienfeld points out in the article, this misunderstanding can have dire consequences. Referencing an Innocence Project report, he and his co-author write that "73 percent of the 239 convictions overturned through DNA testing [since it was introduced] were based on eyewitness testimony. One third of these overturned cases rested on the testimony of two or more mistaken eyewitnesses."

Memories of events "can be very affected by people's biases, preconceptions, expectations, and the like," Lilienfeld said. He explained that neuroscientists believe memory is "really reconstruction rather than a reproduction" — we're not drawing on some untainted recollection of the event, but "rebuilding" it, in a sense, every time we summon the memory. All sorts of impurities can seep in each time this reconstruction occurs.
Collapse -
I was reading that a memory is not a memory of the event
by Diana Forum moderator / September 1, 2014 9:48 AM PDT

but a memory of the last time you remembered it.

Also the police were doing it wrong. They show the witnesses a group of pictures and they feel pressured to pick one. So they pick the one that looks the most like the bad guy and that face replaces the other face.

The police should show the pictures one at a time and the witness can say yes or no.

Diana

Collapse -
Did you notice that first picture of
by Steven Haninger / September 1, 2014 8:12 PM PDT

Michael Brown that circulated through the media? He's wearing headphones and appears to be an an arcade. To me, he looks to be about 12 years old. Remember the complaint about the use of old pictures of Trayvon Martin in the media? Anything look familiar in that respect? IMO, it's our media that poisons memory far more than police could ever do.

Collapse -
I noticed it, but par for the course nowadays
by James Denison / September 2, 2014 12:24 PM PDT

Maybe Charlie Manson should have used his childhood pictures with the media and court in his day and time. He might be a poor misunderstood child of adversity instead of in jail.

Collapse -
what is heard on that recording
by James Denison / August 30, 2014 2:36 AM PDT

and what witnesses say they heard concerning the shots, seem to be completely different shootings.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!