General discussion

Someone is hacking me. I need help urgently.

Apr 6, 2007 12:57PM PDT

Recently, Someone has been hacking me over 180 times in a day. They are all UDP/TCP pings. Luckily, my router is set to Deny it. Today, they are still pinging me. I don't know what to do. They're all coming from different places in the world. I don't know if it's just that when I surf the internet, websites are supposed to keep pinging me or it's just that someone is hacking me. Should I just turn off the log settings for Dropped packets and leave it alone, or do something(which I don't know what it is) about it? Please help quickly.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Someone is hacking me. I need help urgently.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Someone is hacking me. I need help urgently.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More information is needed
Apr 6, 2007 1:07PM PDT

You did not say what operating system you are using.

Type of firewall

Are you using a wireless router?

If so, does it have security? Maybe add Mac addresses.

Virus protection? Spyware tools?

Need answers to help answer your questions. Maybe even your isp.

Rick

- Collapse -
Sorry. More facts
Apr 6, 2007 1:12PM PDT

I am using a wireless router, DI-524. I have 2 computers connected, and a game console on it, connected wirelessly. I don't think anyone can hack my wireless network, with WPA-PSK 64 key Passphrase and 32 key ssid, with the ssid not broadcasted. Also, it seems that when I surf the internet, no matter Youtube or Cnet, I get those UDP/TCP pings blocked, which are coming from different places on the globe.

- Collapse -
To be sure
Apr 6, 2007 3:24PM PDT
- Collapse -
I think my Ex Husband put a bug in my computer
Apr 11, 2007 8:28AM PDT

Can anyone help me with this? My ex husband seems to know everything about me that would only come from my computer. Who i'm dating, emails, things that are password protected. He had my computer for months before giving it to me and he used to build them from scratch. Is there something he could've put on or in my computer to track and get information on me? Please help!!! I was thinking of bringing my computer to the Geek Squad to have it checked over but don't want to spend the money! I just downloaded Lavasoft and am hoping that'll help.

- Collapse -
Change All Mail And Passwords You Own..And...
Apr 11, 2007 10:24AM PDT

..it might be a good idea to reformat the computer and reinstall the operating system and all software. Change the password on your Internet Service Provider mail and login as well. Create a new password to log on to your computer and create a new password for the "Administrator" log on.. . Since the computer was used by your husband previously, he may have knowledge about most of your data.. If you're a beginner at computer use, a clean start would be the safest way to be sure the computer is clean..

He might know your e-mail address and password or have access to it.. I recommend changing your e-mail address and password.. Remember also... I'll bet you both have some common friends that keep in touch. If you send mail to your friend and they forward a message to your "ex", then your husband will then know you address but not your password.. Don't give the new password to ANYONE. In addition, don't let anyone USE your computer after its reset.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Reformat
Apr 11, 2007 11:14AM PDT

How would I go about reformating? What if I have programs on my computer that I don't have the original disk for?

- Collapse -
Reformatting/Reinstalling Depends On What You Have...
Apr 12, 2007 12:05AM PDT

Some brand name computers allow you to use a Recovery Partition or Recovery CDs to perform a destructive recovery. It will format the drive and reinstall the operating system and all the programs to its original factory condition.. If you don't have other program installer CDs, then you'll need to obtain those before that particular program will work.

Yes, reformatting the drive will wipe EVERYTHING from the drive including those programs that you don't have the CD's for.. That's the point.. Clean it out entirely.

If you don't have a Recovery Partition or CD to reinstall with, then you'll need to do everything from scratch.. You'll need the operating system CD plus a CD with all the drivers.. Once you have that, you'll also need to accumulate all the rest of the programs that came with the computer..

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
That's not hacking
Apr 6, 2007 1:09PM PDT

If someone were trying to hack you, your router would be unlikely to stop them, unless they were one of the worst hackers in the world. What your experiencing is probably a pretty common port scan. It's an automated program that just sends out requests to random IP addresses looking for any of a list of vulnerabilities in Windows, Internet Explorer, and/or some other program.

The good news is, it's automated, and they're looking for easy targets. If you keep up on your Windows security patches, avoid using anything based on Internet Explorer, and don't use any P2P file sharing programs, you have next to nothing to worry about. The program will run through it's list, if it doesn't have any luck with your system, it will move on to the next one.

It wouldn't hurt to scan your system for any viruses and other malware however. Especially if you've been using Internet Explorer as your primary browser. A firewall will do next to nothing to protect you against malware that attaches itself like a barnacle to Internet Explorer.

- Collapse -
(NT) So, what's wrong with IE that's not wrong w/others?
Apr 6, 2007 7:16PM PDT
- Collapse -
Wrong question
Apr 7, 2007 1:31AM PDT

It's not what's wrong with IE that's not wrong with the others, it's what's more wrong with IE than the others.

While I don't buy the excuse that it's impossible to write bug free code, I do recognize that bugs are unavoidable for end users. So, it's important to look at the number of known bugs in a given program, the frequency in which new bugs are found, the severity of those new bugs found, and how long it takes for the application maintainer(s) to issue some sort of fix for any given bug.

If you take all those factors, and then compare Internet Explorer to browsers based on Mozilla code, and Opera, it

- Collapse -
Yeah. I don't use IE
Apr 7, 2007 3:22AM PDT

IE has too many bugs and it takes them too long for them to fix it. Secunia reports that IE has the most bugs during a period than any other browser. I use firefox, because I feel comfortable with it and it is more secure. I ran the GRC shields up test for all service ports and it came back with all ports stealth, even 113, which I manually made steath. Is it possible that someone hacked my wireless network, with WPa-tkip and 64 key passphase, 32 Hexidermal ssid, disabled? Also, is it normal for websites to ping me while I'm playing games on my game console(wii) or surfing the internet?

- Collapse -
Makes no sense
Apr 7, 2007 4:22AM PDT

First off, the GRC website is not really to be trusted. "Stealth" ports mean diddly when it comes to someone potentially hacking into your system. And really "stealth" ports are just ports that aren't open. Or even more specifically, that when this program tried to communicate on that port, it was unable to establish a connection. "Closed" ports would have been a much more accurate description, but it doesn't have the same oomph that "stealth" does in people's minds. And the guy behind the GRC website is a very talented marketer, as shown by this little display of psycholinguistics, but a laughing stock of a security expert, as shown by telling people that "stealth" ports are some great thing for security.

That being said, the 64-key passphrase and 32 hexadecimal SSID you keep mentioning makes no sense at all. It sounds like you're mixing and matching a few things from different areas. It's understandable, since even basic IT security can demand a pretty high level of knowledge to really make sense of. It's not something the average person has, or even necessarily should have.

However, if you're using WPA encryption, that's a good thing, and if you've disabled SSID broadcasting, that also is a good thing. I'd add to that MAC Address Filtering if your router supports it. None of those things alone will be enough to secure you, but together, it's less likely anything will happen. Anyone interested in making use of your network will likely move on to a different one that doesn't require as much effort to connect to.

Like I said, it sounds like your garden variety port scan. In a few days it will probably start to subside. Some of it could also be the normal back and forth chatter generated when you load a website or play a game online. It sounds like the router's firewall is doing its job and keeping it out, so there doesn't seem to be any real reason for alarm.

- Collapse -
Curios.
Apr 7, 2007 6:15AM PDT

What are the sources of this data? Can it really be true and absolute? Didn't see it while I was watching paint dry. Wink

- Collapse -
Numerous
Apr 7, 2007 7:04AM PDT

You can go and check the dates yourself if you like. For open projects like Mozilla, there's likely to be some chatter about it on the mailing lists as soon as someone's notified of the problem... The security researcher might even make their announcement on the mailing list. Then you can check the CVS commit logs to find out when a patch was checked in to fix the bug.

With IE it's a bit more difficult, but sites like Secunia (can never get that spelling right) are good sources of information. They run an ongoing list of security issues with various programs, rate the severity of them, and keep tabs on things like patching times, etc.

The BugTraq mailing list is another good place to find such information. Or you could just do the legwork yourself with Google or any other search engine.

I'll admit that there could very well come a time, and I suspect it may be very soon, that Microsoft is taken to task by its customer base over security. To the point where it will absolutely require them to likely rewrite each and every one of its programs from scratch, or face extinction as a company. It could also happen that Opera and/or Mozilla start getting equally sloppy with security. Highly unlikely, but within the realms of possibility. Should any of these events come to pass, I'll be happy to back off the claims, though I suspect it's not going to happen. So long as Gates and Ballmer are still holding large amounts of influence regarding Microsoft policy decisions, I don't see anything but oblivion in store for Microsoft.

- Collapse -
Re: chatter
Apr 7, 2007 9:12AM PDT

A lot of chatter. Seems to be much more chatter regarding FF being less secure than IE, e.g. last year Secunia seems to have reported FF 1.x having only 13 Advisories (which actually involved 88 vulnerabilities) and IE 16 Advisories involving only 36 vulnerabilities.

It seems that most of FF's vulnerabilities are reported as versions are released where as IE vulnerabilities are reported as they are discovered with exception that they usually are not reported until shortly (usually one week) before the security patch is published, to help circumvent attacks. And often attacks are permitted as a result of User's not keeping up with patches and updates.

As far as surfing speed, some seem to experience faster surfing with Opera over FF. I've experienced much faster surfing with IE over either Opera or FF.

BTW, how large of amounts of influence regarding Microsoft policy decisions do Gates and Ballmer hold? How much should they hold? Gates [is] the Chairman. BTW, Gates is in the process of transitioning from his day to day activities in the Business to an Advisory role.

CNET Forums

Forum Info