Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Somehow stuck in Safe Mode

by Paul Roantree / October 9, 2005 3:35 AM PDT

I have managed to get my 'normal' boot stuck in safe mode. Tried F8 to Start windows normally, nothing, three system restores, said OK, but stuck in safe mode. Hijack this file shows nothing unusual or unrecognizable, CW shredder, spybot, ad aware Ms antispyware all clear. Am currently trying 'chkdsk f/c/', but otherwise looks like a repair install.
XP pro, 3 g Athlon XP, 1024 Mb Ram.EZ Armor fw and av.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Somehow stuck in Safe Mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Somehow stuck in Safe Mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 4:45 AM PDT

when you select the option from the Safe Mode list to start normally?

How did this start Paul? What happened that you became stuck in Safe Mode?

Mark

Collapse -
thank goodness
by Paul Roantree / October 9, 2005 5:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What happens

Hi again Mark. Thank you for replying. I solved it, because I did something very stupid. I installed a new hard disk on Wednesday last and have been adding applications etc in my spare timeever since. I tried to do the icon for the forums by using the save link method and invoked the m/s synchronisation set up which highlit the text in lime green under all my icons. Not liking the aesthetics of the colour let alone the highlighting, I did a system restore successfully, or so I thought. BUT I forgot that I still had windows on my slave drive, and not wanting any change on that disk I unplugged it. When I went back to it I got the safe mode saga. SO I went back to the new disk, and re-did system restore and Thank the Lord both working fine. I've learned a nasty lesson and feel vey sheepish. Thanks for your regard.
The moral of this time consuming mistake is if you have system restore installed remember it serves two disks, and any interruption to thus is zero tolerated. When it occurred I tried F8 and 'open windows' normally' but to no avail at the time
good luck,

Paul

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) We live and learn don't we...... :)
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2005 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: thank goodness

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!