Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Somehow I survived the hols

by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 1:02 AM PST

Hello Everyone,

Hope ya'll had a less eventful xmas and new years than I did. From right before Christmas to yesterday, I've crashed my bicycle twice, been robbed at gunpoint and beaten up by three "gangsta" types (also astride my bike) and to top all of that off, almost had my neck broken by a friend whilst 'wrestling'.

So, I've nearly been killed twice and now have five scabs/new scars, but ok, two of those were my fault for wiping out while riding the bike in a rather reckless manner. Still, I feel all in all it's been a great Holiday Season. And, damn near leaving the natural world (twice in less than a week!) gives one a nice respect for being alive. Happy Food tastes better. A simple slice of cheesecake transports me to nirvana. A sunset sometimes makes me cry, but it's a joyful tear.

Anyhow, now that I'm not quite as creaky from the various bruises/wounds/etc. I'll be bothering the board with my silly antics. You've been warned! :^)

Road Rash Richard aka "the bloodied biker" Jones

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Somehow I survived the hols
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Somehow I survived the hols
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bike riding is very dangerous.
by EdH / January 7, 2006 1:04 AM PST
Collapse -
Glad you survived!!
by Evie / January 7, 2006 1:09 AM PST

I don't know if this works for guys, but I've always said "scars add character" Wink Being a tomboy as a kid, I have more than my fair share. My "perfect" college roomie was once horrified by a cut on her knee that might leave a scar and that's what I told her. Would'ya believe she bought it?? LOL.

Stay safe on that bike Rick!!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Then I've got lots of
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 1:33 AM PST
In reply to: Glad you survived!!

"character". Wink

Allo Evie, good to "see" you. Whew, I'm used to wiping out on my mtb, it's the almost dying that's gotten to me.

My crash count on my current bike is eleven - that's over two years of daily/nightly , six days out of the week riding. So, fairly safe statistically speaking.

Three Latino 'homeboys' with guns was not any fun, but luckily I was broke at the time so they didn't get any money Happy and I was merely pistol whipped and got a "shiner" on my right eye/cheek and a large knot/scab/scar on the crown of my head. No stitches, no broken bones. But I really thought I was going to be shot and killed.

The Police here still haven't got any leads. It's a rough neighborhood, crap like this happens all the time where I work, rather safer where I live, though robberies/burglaries/altercations are still more than one would like. I worry about Victoria more than myself, of course. And she rolls her eyes when I come home with blood on my shirt/pants/hair. Happy She loves me, darn it.

How was your holidays? Hoping you, husband, cats, relatives, etc. are all well. I've *also* got a chest cold - which is real fun when I cough with bruised ribs - the ribs are better than a week ago, but the dang cold is sticking around. I'm thinking about getting some knee "armour" ; they make stuff for bmx and off-road that is lightweight and comfortable whilst also being durable, unlike my skin. Happy

Hugs and kissies,

Rick " wow, I'm still alive, how did I manage that? " Jones

Collapse -
Coughing with busted ribs ...
by Evie / January 7, 2006 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: Then I've got lots of

... man you can talk to my hubby about that one! He had pneumonia several times one year. The second time the x-ray showed recently healed/healing rib fractures -- he hadn't suffered any injuries so the doc said he must have done it coughing. Every time he coughs he holds his side. Grab a pillow and hug if you have to cough -- that's what they gave my FIL after his bypass surgery and it helps some.

My holidays were clearly less eventful than yours! Good overall as well. Had the FIL and his wife over with my folks for Christmas Eve and I did the Ukie traditional thing. I was so darned proud of being ready with all the dishes early that I miscalculated and put the cabbage rolls in a bit late Sad Had a more mellow Christmas day with just my folks. Went to PA for the New Year and hubby had a few extra days comp time since he has worked so many holidays this year. So we had a nice relaxing trip down and back and got a whirlpool suite for one night on the way back.

My biggest catastrophy was the death of my laptop. It's my lifeline, but aside from it dying just before printing out my final exams (files so new they weren't backed up yet :() at least it's a fairly good time to happen being between semesters. Still, I do a fair amount of online bill paying, etc., so it's been a hassle with the holidays intervening, etc. Got that fixed by purchasing a new laptop -- not an expense I needed at this time of year (or any considering the last one was fairly new) but I'm happy so far with the purchase.

XOXO and heal well my friend! Evie Happy

Collapse -
laptops
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 3:23 AM PST

Hi Evie,

I've never really trusted portable computers, seems like they overheat pretty easy, and are difficult to fix or even impossible to repair by one's own self. Then there's the dropping on the floor thing. And theft - I'd always worry someone would kipe it. Anyhow, did you not have a warranty, or expired? Usually they'll at least get it running again, maybe no dice on data recovery though. Sister had a less than year old hard drive fail on her - she wasn't too up on backups, so lost 250 pages of a novel she was writing. Ouch.

Glad to hear your Hols went well,

XoXo,

Rick

Collapse -
Expired warranty ...
by Evie / January 8, 2006 8:15 AM PST
In reply to: laptops

... and as Murphy's Law would have it, this was one time I didn't get the extended one Sad I *NEED* the portability of a laptop, even if I'm not dragging it with me to work every day (which I don't). Now with wireless, I'm ''addicted'' to the portability within the house.

My dead laptop was a Toshiba. It came highly recommended and I really did like it. But for a ''laptop'' it had an absolutely IDIOTIC design of having the exhaust fans on the BOTTOM!!! Even on a flat surface, that didn't make airflow too good Sad It shut down from overheating on a few occasions. I'm not altogether unsure that it didn't have a problem with heat all along -- it really did seem to run quite hot a lot. The charger wasn't very robust either -- the second one had apparently also busted on me Sad My new one already runs a LOT cooler than the Toshiba and the fans vent top, side and back -- nothing on the bottom. It was considerably less expensive than the last one, but with much the same features except the slightly smaller screen. While the 17'' widescreen was nice, since I'm not a gamer and don't watch movies on my computer, it was a bit wasted on me. I'm already adjusted to the 15.4'' widescreen -- one nice thing about the w.s. is that I basically get a ''normal'' screen for the browser and have my start/taskbar up along the right side but stretched wide so my open apps/windows are displayed vertically and with enough text to know what they are. {Grin} ... while browsing around wireless gadgets, I figure maybe I'll get me one of these! Heck if hubby gets his big screen TV at least I can surf the net on it!! Wink

As for the old laptop, I'm sure I can get the data off. I have it out of the computer. I'm still tinkering with that myself first, otherwise I'll bring it to a shop. Just haven't had much of a desire to tackle that whilst playing with the new ''toy'' and getting it up to speed. Most of the old data is backed up, but there was some recent stuff I would rather not have to re-invent any time soon.

Hope your healing well. Warm tea with that honey liqueur is good for coughs -- forgot to mention Wink

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Your escapades prove my point
by TONI H / January 7, 2006 1:18 AM PST

that exercise really IS bad for your health.

No wonder we haven't heard hide nor hair of you....I'm happy that you escaped without severe injury, and suggest that you pass that cheesecake, please.

Here's hoping the rest of the new year is uneventful...perhaps wearing a sign like they have in stores of 'clerk has no access to cash' in neon letters will keep robbers at bay if they know immediately you're poor/broke/not worth the effort (or it will tick them off enough to kill you anyhow just for ruining their day).

TONI

Collapse -
Yep, it's really bad
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 2:09 AM PST

Hi Toni,

They used to say that about jogging - knees, ankles, all the joints really, getting pounded. And it's true. Bicycling is *mostly* low-impact, and great exercise, too, though I do it out of necessity and for fun. It's only six miles round trip home to work to home.
Sometimes I'll take an extended jaunt on weekends to the parks here, or I'll just aimlessly explore. Usually only 15-20 miles but in a busy city like Houston one cannot always take a 'quiet' route i.e. backroads/subdivisions. There are a few "bike path" and shared thingies, but it's still not very bike "friendly". Our current mayor is a cyclist, though, and he has encouraged a lot of new and future plans. But some (car)drivers are going to be either hostile/indifferent/stupid anyhow. Sigh. It's so much fun though, that I don't mind the scars. And as mentioned by wiser persons, they "add character". Wink

The best cheesecake I found here is made at a French bakery. It's "euro" style, but of course! , and is light years away from what I call "ice box" or "New York" kind (though that's good in it's own manner). Quite pricey too - sacre bleu! - but worth it. I get a whole cake and share with others, usually eat two slices and feel tremendously guilty, like I've just had sex in public or something. Happy They make a dark chocolate covered one that's almost too good for words. In fact, it is. Indescribably delicious. And good for you, too! .....ummm, well, not really. But I burn those cals off with the rush and a few miles on the ride. They have wonderful bread, too, and killer croissants. Sometimes I'm able to resist temptation and just leave with a loaf of bread. Sometimes, not often. Wink

I like the sign idea, though yeah, could trigger an altercation. I wear loud socks and shirts so people can see me, also have flashing LED lights at night, front and back, reflector strips on frame/pedals, and still have more idiot drivers that either cut me off or jump right in front of me. Then they express surprise/dismay /hostility sometimes. I've yet to hit a car or be hit by one, had a few close calls. I've hit the pavement several times though, usually road conditions or bad judgement on my part. Cycling is so much fun that's it's worth the risks, to me. It'd be nice if I didn't crash so often, but usually it's no biggie.

Rick " top speed? around 45mph on a flat, smooth road " Jones

Collapse -
Decadent desserts
by TONI H / January 7, 2006 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Yep, it's really bad

Applebee's might be a great restaurant to eat a meal at, but if you want a dessert that is to die for and make you feel like you just found a sex replacement, they have it. It's called Triple Chocolate Meltdown....and it truly lives up to its name.

As for the exercise...I'd rather dig my hillsides and create gardens and fishponds by hand (I really do that) than ride a bike through this mountain. I could get a quarter of a mile away or less and never make it back here.

TONI

Collapse -
the "homies" probably thought
by jonah jones / January 7, 2006 1:53 AM PST

that your little red "M" stood for "****...." Wink

glad your OK....

jonah

Collapse -
:^) Thx
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 7, 2006 2:17 AM PST

Hi Jonah,

A friend used to say "it's a jungle out there" - and now I believe it. Happy

I'm not an "adrenaline junky" , well, not really, though I have been accused of being "dangerous". I only jump out of buildings when they are on fire, or otherwise uninhabitable. :^)

Rick " stunt pilot? hah, that's easy money " Jones

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Chuckle :-)
by Evie / January 7, 2006 3:12 AM PST
Collapse -
You need,
by duckman / January 7, 2006 2:37 AM PST

a new hobby, a new neighborhood and new friends

Collapse -
glad your
by Mark5019 / January 7, 2006 3:07 AM PST

ok in 85 i wasnt as lucky

Collapse -
Wow, I've NEVER been pistol-whipped for Christmas!
by Cindi Haynes / January 7, 2006 5:00 AM PST

Some guys have all the luck! Hope yours turns to good sooner rather than later!!

Cindi (Uh, Bond...Joe Bond, yeah, that's it!) Haynes

Collapse -
Thanks,
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 3:13 AM PST

Hi Cindi,

Thanks, I got a grin out of that! Happy

I'd like to say that after all that I've been through it's "bound to be a good year" - but maybe that would just jinx me. Ha Ha. Anyway, I'm rather more aware now, avoiding the iffy areas.

Cheers for the New year,

Rick " a bit more careful now " Jones

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I thank God you're here and OK !
by Angeline Booher / January 7, 2006 7:24 AM PST
Collapse -
Remind me never to ride with you!
by Bill Osler / January 7, 2006 7:59 AM PST

I'm so thankful that I don't have to deal with gangsta types on my rides around here.

I've had a few self-induced wrecks, including a couple of low-speed endos while riding single track, but nothing serious so far.

I hope things take a turn for the better!

Collapse -
endos
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 3:46 AM PST

Hi Dr Bill,

One of my first mishaps on current bike was an endo - on concrete. Thankfully all the rest have been of the vertical then horizontal type. I'm sorta amazed no broken bones - knocking on wood right now.

Part of it is that I ride a mtb that's fairly 'twitchy' ; very manueverable, but a bit too much so at speed. Nishiki "Alien" which is an elevated chainstay design. It's second hand, made in 1989. I've upgraded a bunch of stuff, love her madly. Happy

Happy trails,

Rick

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Wow, glad you're ok, but what a rough Holiday season.
by Roger NC / January 7, 2006 8:17 AM PST
Collapse -
All I can say is ............
by Glenda / January 7, 2006 9:33 AM PST

OUCH!!!! That had to hurt!!!!! Get well and go armed next time!!!

Collapse -
Thanks,
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 3:54 AM PST

Hi Glenda,

I thought about getting a small frame sidearm. Here in Texas one can get a concealed carry permit. But knowing myself, I'd probably be too tempted to use it. Wink

Rick

Collapse -
The kind of luck
by Glenda / January 8, 2006 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks,

you have had lately you just might shoot your own foot, So maybe not good idea after all]:) Get Well, Guy!

Collapse -
Now you know one reason that I don't ride a motorcy...cle
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / January 8, 2006 6:10 AM PST

(unlike Arlo Guthrie!) More than glad to hear you survived! Speaking of Arlo, he's now to the age we can now be fairly certain that the coin came up heads and he won't surcumb to Huntington's, the dreaded genetic disease that claimed his father (there's a 50-50 chance, and it doesn't usually show up until around age 40...)

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Motorcycles are pastry,
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / January 8, 2006 6:38 PM PST

wreck-wise, compared to the non-motorized variety. At least in my experience.

I rode motorcycles for years, had a few crashes. Got lucky, I suppose. One thing is, on a bike one is higher off the ground than on a motorcycle (unless it's a motocross bike) and so there's a bit more momentum/ 'moment arm' involved, even though the speed is generally less. Bigger whack on the pavement.

Then again, I had four really close calls on my last motorcycle. None of them my fault, and had I not been alert chances are I would be either severely messed up or below ground. It's inherently dangerous to drive a car, too, but more "survivable". And less fun, mostly. Happy

Rick

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!