Computer Help forum

General discussion

somebody help me please!!how can i turn my pc from NTFS to FAT32???please answer me!!!

becuase i want to install win98 and i have win2000 Proffessional

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: somebody help me please!!how can i turn my pc from NTFS to FAT32???please answer me!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: somebody help me please!!how can i turn my pc from NTFS to FAT32???please answer me!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:somebody help me please!!how can i turn my pc from NTFS to FAT32???please answer me!!!

why do you need to change to Win98? Microsoft no longer supports it.

Herb....

Collapse -
Re:somebody help me please!!how can i turn my pc from NTFS to FAT32???please answer me!!!

May I suggest I do not think you can return to FAT 32, once you are NTSF.

If you want to have FAT 32, you will have to reformat and start over and choose FAT 32....but why would you want to go back
in time to the slower file structure? NTSF is definately the better file system...IMHO....
Karen

Collapse -

You will need to install Windows 98 from scratch, or from a CD for 'computer with No Windows', and in the process, you will need to remove Win 2000, then FDISK, then format-and this is when you choose the FAT32 file system-and finally install Win 98--for whatever reasons. Remember your backups !

Collapse -

I've done this myself with help from "RADIFIED FDISK GUIDE" when I changed fro XP to ME, read the guide fully first it sounds scarey but is quite easy. It can lead you into making unnecessary partitions I made one (PRIMARY DOS PARTITION...100%)

Collapse -
file systems basics

You may need to fdisk and format your hard drive which involves erasing all data, if you wish to change the file system to fat32 and use 98 as your primary OS. If you have an NT disk(xp, 2000pro), put it in and proceed as if you were going to re-install win 2000 and then choose to format as fat 32 when the menu choice comes, (not ntfs). Formatting can also be done if you can obtain a DOS disk (floppy), insert and type "fdisk c:" at the a: command prompt and take the necessary steps to delete paritions and create a new partition, then while in dos type "cd..c:" to change directory to c, then type format. After formatting, slap in 98 disk and proceed with install. A possible alternative to erasing all data: if your hard drives main partition is not using the full space of the HD, you may create another partition and install 98 an that( thus running two operating systems on one machine). doing this is known to create problems in the long run, but is possible. Problems arise from boot sector conflicts when OSs with differnt file systems are used and .ini(OS initialization) files are not loaded correctly on boot. I recommend sticking with NTFS, as it is superior in many ways. You should just reinstall 2000 pro after formatting HD, if your computers instability is the main reason for this install.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!