Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Some websites inaccessible

by EratoMyMuse / January 16, 2007 3:58 AM PST

I have been trying to resolve a series of problems over the last 3 weeks; I am still having some trouble and am seeking advice here. I hope you can help; I'm becoming so frustrated that I can barely stand it. It's a long story, but I feel the background is important and may provide necessary clues, so bear with me please. Also I'm not too technically inclined though I've learned a lot recently, so bear with my lack of knowledge too:

I have 3 computers in my household: 2 Gateway desktops (new machines, just purchased 2 1/2 months ago) and one older Gateway laptop. All run Windows XP. I connect to the internet via cable modem and a Linksys wireless router. One desktop connects via wire to the router; the other via a usb wireless adapter. The laptop also connects via usb wireless adapter. All computers ran Norton Internet Security program with regular scans and no detection of any problems.

Just after Christmas the two desktops developed problems getting online, as well as severe slowness problems. It would take 20 minutes to boot the computers up and moving between any commands took inordinately long periods of time. I was able to - after much effort - run a full system scan and there were no viruses detected. I spent literally hours on the phone with various tech support help, first my cable company who had me run some tests and determined that the modem was operating correctly. Then I called Linksys tech support, and no matter what we attempted, the desktops could not get online. They had me change several settings in my network connections area and do loads of other things too. They had me bypass the router and connect directly to the modem; the desktops still could not get online. The first session with them ended with the rep concluding that my router had gone bad. I went out and got a brand new one, same type, and that did not resolve the problem.

Another call to Linksys, and several attempts at various settings changes and other things - manually entering DNS addresses, running ping tests, etc., all to no avail; that tech rep felt that somehow my TCP/IP drivers had been somehow disabled and suggested I call the computer manufacturer.

I had at least 2 sessions with Gateway tech support; many additional things were tried, including working on the winsock files. The best they could conclude was that I had an awful virus infection of some sort and, as a last resort, it was determined that I would need to fully wipe clean then restore these computers.

I just did that yesterday; I also full restored my laptop just in case I harbored some virus on it too. The first step after restoring the desktops was to install McAfee. The speed of the computers was back up to normal (very fast), and the computers (my laptop and the two desktops) are able to get onto the internet - HOWEVER - there are several sites that we cannot access:

www.worldofwarcraft.com
www.foodnetwork.com
www.marriott.com
www.highiqsociety.org

to name a few; these are some of the sites we frequent the most. The error message that is returned is that the sites cannot be found, but they are of course valid sites. Here's an additional twist: I access my work computer remotely from this laptop, and when I'm on THAT access, I can get into these sites no problem; however when I flip back to 'my' access, I cannot.

A few other sites will load, but very slowly. A lot of other sites will load very quickly, no problem.

I am at a loss. Does the nature of my problem seem to suggest that it's a router issue, or an ISP issue? Since I can access these sites via my remote log in to my work computers (and therefore work servers I would assume), does that mean my ISP's servers have issues? Could there be a virus in my router? If so, how does one get rid of it?

I've invested so much time and effort into this and I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some websites inaccessible
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some websites inaccessible
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More information is needed
by PudgyOne / January 16, 2007 9:56 AM PST

I realize that all three are running XP and all have Norton.

Are you using the Windows Firewall or Norton's?

use only one firewall at a time. Two or more firewalls will conflict with each other.

Two of the websites required Flash. You can download Flash here and click on get Adobe Flash Player

http://www.adobe.com/

Now for the tough part.

You said that your computers are booting slowly.

Are you using any type of p2p programs(Limewire,Kazza,Morpheaus, Etc.)?

If you are and/or not using such programs, you may have some type of spyware on your computer.

Visit one of these websites and follow the instructions.

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Protect_Your_PC/Get_Rid_of_Spyware%2C_Adware%2C_and_Web_Browser_Hijackers.html

more tools here

http://76.187.6.37/Spyware_suite.htm

and here

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=225081&messageID=2356051

Run these tools on your computer and then restart your computer.

Post back your results and possibly give more information.

Rick

Collapse -
Hi EratoMyMuse,
by smarteee2k / January 16, 2007 10:10 PM PST

As U have the Linksys router and a broadband cable connection, let me give U the steps to perform to access all the websites.

1. Start the computer which is wired to the router (not wireless).
2. Click on Start->Run and type cmd and hit enter.
3. U will see the Command Prompt. Type "ipconfig" and hit enter.
4. Note down the default gateway numbers which will be listed below under Ethernet adaptor local area connection (By default the value is 192.168.1.1).
5. Close the Command Prompt and Open the Internet Explorer.
6. Type the same numbers that you noted down for the default gateway in the address bar and hit enter.
Note: Dont type "www." or ".com". Type just the numbers eg., 192.168.1.1 and hit enter.
7. It will prompt for the username and password. Here you need to know the password for the router. By default, if you have not set any password for the router, the password is "admin". You can leave the username blank. Now you will be logged into the router setup page.

If U have a wireless B router with the older firmware (eg., BEFW11S4):
1. On the righthand top corner of the page, you can click on the "Advanced" tab.
2. Now in the bottom of the page, you can see the MTU. If it is disabled, you can enable that and set the size to 1300 and then hit the apply button.
3. The page will refresh and come back to the same screen. You can close all the windows and check with the websites. It should work with all the 3 computers.

If U have a wireless B router with the latest firmware (eg., BEFW11S4) or a wireless G router (eg., WRT54G):
1. On the main page, you can see the Router name, Host name, Domain name and then the MTU.
2. Dont add or edit anything in this page. If the MTU is set to "Auto", you can change it to "Manual".
3. Now change the size from 1500 to 1300.
4. Now goto the bottom of the page and hit the save settings button.
5. The page will refresh and come back to the same screen. You can close all the windows and check with the websites. It should work with all the 3 computers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?