Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

General discussion

Some system preferences not working (10.6, Mac Pro)

by angusdog / April 26, 2010 8:57 AM PDT

Hi all,

When I try to change the keyboard system preferences or the bluetooth system preferences, the 'application' locks up (Doesn't bring up any details, force quit gets out of it). I've tried leaving it for ages to see if it eventually opens but it doesn't.

This means I can't use any bluetooth devices or change the keyboard shortcuts.

It only happens on one of my otherwise identical Mac Pros; the other is fine.

Any clues as to how to repair it? I tried reinstalling Snow Leopard but that didn't help. I didn't do a clean install though as I'd rather put up with it than make a clean install work with all the apps etc.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Zap the PRAM
by Jimmy Greystone / April 26, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

Zap the PRAM if reinstalling the OS didn't help. That pretty much rules out the possibility of stale plist files, so what's left is resetting the PRAM.

I can never remember the exact key combo, so I'm sure someone will correct me or you can google it quickly. Pretty sure you hold Command-Option-P-R at boot. So, either immediately after you hit the power button, or after you start the system in a reboot cycle, hold down those 4 keys. You should hear the boot chime once, and then the system will reboot again. Generally people recommend doing this twice, so on the third time hearing the boot chime you can let go and the system will start loading the OS.

This will erase a few of your preferences like mouse settings, but nothing vital.

If that doesn't resolve your problem, stick your Snow Leopard disc in the drive, and reboot holding down the "D" key. This will load the Apple Hardware Test diagnostics which will run a few tests that will catch some of the most common hardware failures. You can also remove the side of the case, and look into the system. On most models, between the two RAM trays, there's a set of LEDs. If you don't see them, that's good, but if you see any of them lit up, let us know which ones.

Collapse -
Solved!
by angusdog / April 26, 2010 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Zap the PRAM

Fantastic! I must admit I posted the same question on the Apple Discussions weeks ago and got no replies. FIVE minutes after posting this here and I get a answer that works!

That's fixed the keyboard preference pane, and I now see that if I unplug the D-Link DBT-122 dongle the BT preferences load, but if I plug it in it locks up so the issue is going to be with the dongle and not the OS. I'll research a better BT dongle or perhaps drivers for the D-Link dongle.

Thanks for finding a solution, Jimmy - I know where to come in the future Happy

Collapse -
Good to know
by Jimmy Greystone / April 26, 2010 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Solved!

Good to know the extortionate amounts of money I spent on Apple certification has paid off for someone. Silly

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!