Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Some questions about IE7.

I have installed IE7 and don't seem to be experiencing many problems except for jerky scrolling and an IE7 Script Error in NAV. I can live with both of these.

However can anyone answer the following questions please? I have taken the grand tour but can't seem to find the answers.

1.What does the X (Stop -Esc) do at the end of the address bar?
2.If I open a folder full of favorites and get ten or more tabs, is there anyway I can close more than one tab at a time?
3.When switching between tabs the site address, frequently, is highlighted. Why?
4. Is it my imagination or is the text not as clear as in IE6? I selected clear type fonts at set up.
5.One site (The UK Inland Revenue) will not retain the IE7 icon. It doesn't matter how many times I remove the site from favorites and add it back, the icon vanishes. I suspect that this is a site problem.

Any thoughts please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some questions about IE7.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some questions about IE7.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some answers...... but not all.

In reply to: Some questions about IE7.

Not sure about the jerky scrolling. I saw a fix for that somewhere in these forums I'm sure, but can't remember where. Check some of the other IE7 posts in this forum, you may strike lucky.

Any more details on the script?

1] What does the X do. If a page is taking a long time to load, or if you don't want it to finish loading, click the X to stop the downloading of the web site.

2] Not sure about the "opening folders full of favorites", but I can't find anyway to group together tabs for closing. However, if you click the tab at the far left, the one that shows 4 little windows, you will see all the tabs grouped together, and each one has a close x box. You ca close each one from there.

3] Switching between tabs highlights addresses. This is by design I imagine. That tab now has focus, so the address is highlighted. I see no real reason for it though.

4] Many people thought the text was clearer in IE7. Obviously not all people then, Happy

5] It may be that the UK site hasn't caught up with IE7 yet. Being a Civil Servant site, that doesn't surprise me.

I hope that little helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Addition to the highlighting feature...

In reply to: Some answers...... but not all.

Switching between tabs or windows you may find the address bar highlighted. Previously the lone reason would be that the URL is selected so you can start typing a new one. Now, however, it serves an additional purpose; to tell you whether or not the site is safe. For instance, if the address bar turns red then the site is suspected of being fraudulent. I believe it should also turn yellow to indicate that the site is secure, as Firefox does. Just a few little touches to help make your browsing experience a safer one.

John

Collapse -
And in regards to the jerky scrolling...

In most cases that boils down to an incompatible with various mouse software, with Logitech being in the center ring. You can check with the manufacturer's website to see if there is an update available, but otherwise you'll have to wait for Microsoft to address it.

John

Collapse -
John, many thanks for both your posts.

In reply to: And in regards to the jerky scrolling...

I have a VAIO mouse and I can live with the scrolling. Happy Christmas.

Collapse -
Mark, many thanks for that , as for

Collapse -
That's very interesting about the script error

In reply to: Mark, many thanks for that , as for

And Norton's response to it. Like you, I find it surprising that they did not appear to know about this.

Merry Christmas to you Judesman, and a Happy New Year.

Mark

Collapse -
Mouse Related Problems

In reply to: Some questions about IE7.

After updating to IE 7 I had did a simular mouse problem with my MX500 Logitech Mouse's having jerky erratic scrolling.
Found that Logitech have an update "Mouse Ware Version: 9.79.1 build 25 Posted: 04/21/2006 Platform: Windows XP" with which I installed I found it did help somewhat with the related problem. Yet,however found if I entered "Safe Mode" or did a "Restore" I had to reinstall the above Logitech driver.
Please Note! Previsiosly before installing the Logitech update I was having computer freezing and the only way I could tuirnoff/restart my computer was to manually press in the power button

Now I since have overcome the related mouse problems by going out and purchasing and installing a "Microsoft Wireless Laser 5000 Mouse" [for XP Windows Only???] Yes, for you to have the mouse behave you will have do a little customising with the mouse programming setup to have it perfect!
Now no problems at all!
[Using Windows XP with all Updates installed and Internet Explorer 7]

Collapse -
(NT) Many thanks for that, darbhc.

In reply to: Mouse Related Problems

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.