Question

some questions about Dell PowerEdge 2850

So. I have this PowerEdge 2850 motherboard from local seller, and I've decided to make it work again. I did me some reading and found out that server motherboards are more complicated to run and set up than anything else.
But that did not stop me...
I have ordered following components:
2x Xeon 3.4GHz single-core 32-bit (<- enough for my purposes)
GD419 700W PSU
And some DDR2 RAM, which I hope should be the easiest part to install...
Is there anything more that is REQUIRED for the server to run?
Just to make it clear, I don't have any case for it, nor any buttons, but I hope that I can connect a spare one to it's pins? Or does it have a "Dell Server-Specific Button"?
Also, it does not support graphics cards, which is fine, because it hould have a basic inbuilt GPU, so I don't have to buy one. Right? Or do I?
Turns out setting up a server without actualy buying a server is way more complicated than I thought...
Any advice? Can I install linux at it? Do I need some special extension cards or is the inbuilt I/O enough?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: some questions about Dell PowerEdge 2850
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: some questions about Dell PowerEdge 2850
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: server

I would add a hard disk or SSD to it to run.
And why not download the manuals from Dell? Those should answer a lot of questions.

What do you need a server for?

- Collapse -
hdd

The manual from Dell is a 2 page pdf describing technical specs. Maybe I just missed something?
I wanted to use it as a server for some lightweight games like transport tycoon or factorio.
Oh yeah, hard drive is propably a good idea Grin It should have some ATA connectors

- Collapse -
Mobo
- Collapse -
Answer
Took a look and it's nothing like a normal PC.

I see others have shared where the manuals are but if you were hoping to turn this into a run of the mill gaming PC, it's not made to do that.

The SCSI drives alone will have the average builder or the seasoned builder sending this to Ebay.

CNET Forums