Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Some questions about 802.11 g and n connectivity

by BigVtheMan / July 22, 2013 1:15 PM PDT

Hello all, I recently purchased an Airport Extreme Dual Band 802.11 a/b/g/n router to replace an old Linksys 802.11 b/g one. Some of the devices in my house support both 2.4 and 5 GHz 802.11n, some just 2.4 GHz 802.11n, and some just 802.11g (mainly an often used PS3 and an old, rarely used dell Laptop running XP). I have read that running the 802.11g devices along with the 802.11n devices will cause a noticeable slowdown on the 2.4 GHz channel, but that usually the 802.11n devices will automatically move to the 5 GHz channel to avoid the slowdown. However, as I mentioned, some devices do not support the 5 GHz channel, and would be subject to the slowdown. Additionally, I have read that the 2.4 GHz channel has better range that the 5 GHz one, which is important to me (as some of the 2.4 and 5 GHz compatible devices will be used farther away from the access point while the 802.11g devices are connected)

I have a few questions regarding this:

1) Is everything I mentioned above correct? (about the slowdowns, range, ect.)

2) Is the slowdown, if existent (or noticeable, see next question), only present when 802.11g devices are on and connected? (this one is just out of curiosity)

3) If there is a slowdown, is it even noticeable? I have tested my internet speeds on speedtest.net, and have never received any results above 30 Mbits/s. I know that 802.11g supports up to ~54Mbits/s, and I don't do much LAN work to need the extra speed. Is the fact that my internet speed is slower than the 802.11g maximum make the speed drop caused by connecting 802.11g devices irrelevant?

4) In the event it does not, I still have the old router, and read that I could attach it to the new router, and then set that up as an access point for the 802.11g routers only. I assume that I would need to adjust the channels on the two routers for the 2.4 GHz bands to avoid interference? Would the internet/bandwidth that the second router "takes away" from the first one cause any slowdown?

Thanks,
VTM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some questions about 802.11 g and n connectivity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some questions about 802.11 g and n connectivity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Minor Edit
by BigVtheMan / July 23, 2013 9:47 AM PDT

Oops, I accidentally said AirPort Extreme. I meant to say AirPort Express.

Collapse -
Answer
Some questions about 802.11 g and n connectivity
by livepcexpert7 / July 26, 2013 6:04 AM PDT

There won't be any noticeable slowdowns in browsing or downloading speeds.
You can increase the channel from AUTO to 11 and then should resolve the
issue if you face.

You can change the Link Speed and the Duplex Settings of the Wireless and
Network Cards to get a better performance.

You can also follow the article for further information -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc339518%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?