Speakeasy forum

General discussion

some parents should be tested first

by WOODS-HICK / July 15, 2006 10:55 PM PDT

you need a license to cut hair, but no requirements for having children. another story we hear too often.

''Boy, 4, survives 110-foot plunge
Mother charged after child, who is talking to doctors, falls from Albany complex

4 yr old falls 110ft

The 4-year-old Albany boy who fell from an 11-story window is still recovering at Albany Medical Center.

Hasim Townsend's condition has been upgraded from serious to fair

http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=185476

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: some parents should be tested first
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: some parents should be tested first
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you ever notice ...
by Evie / July 15, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

... how kids get left alone on TV shows all the time? I frequently sleep with the TV on Nick @ Nite which means that I've caught more than a few Full House episodes over the years. It is amazing with all of the adults around in that house, how often the youngest child is left unsupervised entirely. Not to mention the soap operas where characters are forever having babies that magically raise themselves as the parents are almost never with them!

I'm not blaming TV, just pointing out that unfortunately many are influenced by what they see.

But, I am surprised that the kid could get out a window like that on the 11th floor of a building.

Police said they believe the boy awoke in the apartment alone, stood on top of a bed and fell out a screened window.

Sounds like this could have happened if the boy awoke in the apartment with his Mom out in the kitchen making breakfast too. Kids have been known to stand and jump on beds even with the best of parenting!

Collapse -
all the time
by WOODS-HICK / July 15, 2006 11:57 PM PDT

in stores, parking lots, parks, theatres, on and on. kids are on the loose while the parents concentrate on their purchases, cell phones, ipods etc. why more children are not injured or abducted makes me believe in guardian angels and concerned strangers. parents do not have to be overly protective but at least be aware.

nyc requires window guards if the tenant has a child under a certain age. I do not know current age requirement. they are permanent and installed w/no charge to the tenant. all tenants receive with lease a form that must be filled indicating if a child lives in the apartment. if landlord knows it is also his responsibility.

the mother of the boy who fell was illegally subletting in a 55+ complex. she left to find her cheating boyfriend and she worked as a receptionist at the hospital the boy was taken.

accidents can happen when parents are on the premises but this is where awareness enters. in seconds an unwatched child can be in harm's way. open screened window, 11th floor, 4 years old, alone, is that potential disaster I hear.

Collapse -
Not absolving the mother by any stretch ...
by Evie / July 16, 2006 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: all the time

... just noting that this accident could easily have happened even if she was around.

When I lived on the 4th floor of a dorm, you could not have fallen out of the window, that's how they were designed. Same with when my sister lived on a high floor of an apartment building.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?