Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Some music CD's will play and some will not

by jayfin / January 16, 2006 4:59 AM PST

Some of the CD's that I played in the past on a different computer with Win98 will no longer work. Other CD's work fine.
OS= winXPSp2
Media Player = MS Media Player V. 10

jayfin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some music CD's will play and some will not
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some music CD's will play and some will not
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you be more specific?
by kschang / January 16, 2006 3:15 PM PST

Some modern music CD's are copy-protected, with solutions against software ripping, which would prevent it from being played on a PC at all.

Collapse -
More specific
by jayfin / January 17, 2006 12:24 AM PST

Some interesting developments since my post yesterday. All of the CD?s now play on my computer but not on my wife?s computer. we both have the same OS. The following relates to her computer

Normally when starting from My Computer screen when I insert a CD the drive icon changes to an icon that is a picture of a disc with a music note on it and titled Audio CD (F:} then a popup menu comes on and asks what do you want Windows to do? And then from there finally ending up with Windows Media player playing the first track. But when I Insert a CD (by Sony Music Entertainment} the icon changes to what appears to be a windows icon that is listed under File Types as [NONE] AudioCD. Then next to that is the name of the recording artist plus (F:) The popup has on the top bar: START95 then below that
Visit
SONY MUSIC ARTISTS
50 hours free
America Online logo
SONY MUSIC
www.music.sony.com

If you click on the logo it wants to install America Online for Windows

Collapse -
The Sony item is a clue. Got Root?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 12:39 AM PST
In reply to: More specific
Collapse -
Sony
by jayfin / January 17, 2006 3:19 AM PST

I Mentioned that they were Sony CD's because I have been reading about the problem. Neither of the Sony CD's are on the lists you proved via the links. Both were copyrighted in 1996.
When I go to windows media player and do File/Open it shows these folders
AOL/ Setup
CDPlus/ Info.CDP and Sub_info.en
Pictures/Jacket01.00j
AutoRun
Start 31
Start 95

Am still wondering why the CD's play on my computer and not on my wife's.

Collapse -
Could be many things. Here's the usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Sony

The CDROM drive has aged and now won't play all discs. Try this test. Look up GEEXBOX on google.com. Make that BOOT CD (it's a small download) and see if GEEXBOX plays said disks on the machine. If it doesn't then you know you have a hardware issue.

Its very odd to get such popups for CD play. Let me add that spyware has cause playback issues as well.

Bob

Collapse -
I am sure it could be many things.
by jayfin / January 17, 2006 7:25 AM PST

I am not clear on what I am supposed to do ?Make that BOOT CD (it's a small download) and see if GEEXBOX plays said disks on the machine? I did get to Geexbox and found their downloads ? this is one of them GeeXboX 0.98.7 English Edition for PowerPC

I suppose it could be spyware though I am fairly vigilant in that regard. I have the newest version Of Norton?s Anti-virus program, Spysweepers latest program, Zone Alarm Pro 2006 which has a spyware stopper also. The computer goes through a Linksys router. Even though they are always on, each Monday I run a thorough sweep for viruses and for spyware. On the fist Monday of the month I disable these and then run the most current version of AVG and Spybot as a double check.

I have tried about a dozen music CD?s (none by Sony) and they all work just fine. I don?t know how many CD?s we have that are by Sony. Hopefully, not many.

This is not a related issue but some time ago I turned off the autoplay so when a CD whether it be software or music is inserted it does not automatically come on. I always have to go through My Computer and access it from there. Now I forgot how I turned it off and would like to turn this feature back on.

Jayfin

Collapse -
Since a dozen work fine...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 8:14 AM PST

It could be aging hardware and the CDROM's laser is fading. It's a common problem and drives owners nuts as many think it should behave the same on one CD or the next.

It appears you did not research GEEXBOX with google.com deeply, but its the tool of choice for me when I need to sniff out if it's a hardware or software issue. Your choice to pursue that.

-> In closing, let's try the next "usual." Go get your CD LENS CLEANER and run that on the machine that is having issues.

Bob

Collapse -
Yep, you got the Sony copy protection alright
by kschang / January 17, 2006 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: More specific

Rob already gave you the links to get more info about them.

Collapse -
Lavasoft (AdawareSE) Has a Stand alone Sony Rootkit..
by tobeach / January 18, 2006 2:26 PM PST

remover they say is safe to use. Removes the Rootkit but leaves the Digital Rights Mgmt (DRM) part intact.
Sony's OWN remover has trashed many machines so I wouldn't use it under ANY circumstances!! Sad situation!
I ,personally , have a lifetime ban on buying ANY Sony Product due to this greed driven horror. See this previous post of mine for more info & link to tool:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=148396&messageID=1669845

Other than this, I fear a OS re-install may be only hope of really getting rid of All of it. Back up any valuable files/programs first to CD, USB Storage or other computer first. I would scan both comps and then decide what to do. Good Luck & my sympathies! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!