Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Some Help in Excel and Powerpoint link

by xgiriboy / January 21, 2015 3:35 PM PST

Hi . I previously created a thread to look for solutions about broadcasting power point slides . And i manage to link it and auto update the slide .
But i am facing a problem now .
As I was Playing loop slideshow on pc 1 . Then i wanted to edit the excel file on pc 2 . But during the slideshow . it will auto updates the details , But it prompt me this message while updating . File in use , Locked for editing in Excel 2013 And give me 2 option to choose . either Read only or Notify . I dont mind read only . Just that message will disrupt my slideshow . Is there anyway that i can disable this message or Just like when this message prompt up then it will auto be read only ? . so that it will not prompt me and disrupt my slideshow . As this slideshow is gonna be broadcast on a tv .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some Help in Excel and Powerpoint link
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some Help in Excel and Powerpoint link
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: autoupdate
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2015 5:47 PM PST

If you can tell how you managed the auto-update of the slide and the link to the Excel workbook, then maybe somebody can tell. But now it's too vague for effective help.

Kees

Collapse -
re
by xgiriboy / January 21, 2015 9:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re: autoupdate

i used a VBA code found on the web . and add it . its something like autoevent .

Sub OnSlideShowPageChange(ByVal SSW As SlideShowWindow)
'
' AUTO UPDATE OF OLE LINKS MACRO
'
If SSW.View.CurrentShowPosition = 2 Then
ActivePresentation.UpdateLinks
End If
End Sub

I have it set up such that the links automatically update everytime the presentation loops back to the first slide. THE PROBLEM IS...because the excel sheet is open, when the PowerPoint attempts to grab information from the excel sheet it pops up a message telling me that the Excel sheet is open (by someone on my team entering progress results), and that I have to click "Read-Only" or "Notify" or "Cancel". If I click "Read-Only", the data does update properly. HOWEVER, I just want it to ALWAYS open the excel file in Read-Only when grabbing the data so that this spreadsheet can loop continuously without me having to ever touch the presentation.

I'm thinking I may have to write some VB to make this happen. But even any guidance you could give me on that would be extremely helpful.

Any advice?

Collapse -
Re: update links
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2015 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: re

Did you check the documentation of the updatelinks method to see if it has a parameter to tell Powewrpoint to open any file the link points to in read-only mode? If not, you're out of luck.

But there is an obvious work-around. Write a macro in Excel to save a copy of the workbook under another name, then reopen the original. Tell your team members to execute that macro when the spreadsheet is in a nice consistent state for publishing it.
And link to that copy in your presentation. There's a small chance that the update will happen at exactly the same moment as the save, so you must find a way with some semaphore file to sync that.

An alternative is to have the macro write and upload a webpage and link to that webpage. I expect the that the web server will handle the sync, by presenting the old version until the new version is totally available.

Kees

Collapse -
Same exact problem...solved?
by Slippery__Pete / January 20, 2016 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: re

I am having the same problem with a looped slide show that I'd like to display hourly data on for the production floor. I am wondering if you have solved this issue?

Collapse -
If you can't implement the above, automate it wtih
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 11:30 AM PST

Look again at AUTOIT to automate your solution. It's free and quite good with forums all about it.

Collapse -
I don't believe this will be a solution for me...
by Slippery__Pete / January 21, 2016 12:27 PM PST

I don't believe this will be a solution for me, doubt I will be able to use this software where I work.

Collapse -
That's an odd statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 12:41 PM PST

Work needs this to work. You find a solution and then you write you can't use the solution?

Is there someone that wants you to fail there?

Collapse -
May be odd, but true.
by Slippery__Pete / January 21, 2016 12:52 PM PST

Would be an issue to have this software installed.

Collapse -
Then tell the company it can't be done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 1:02 PM PST
In reply to: May be odd, but true.

You can't use the above solutions so it's not going to happen.

Revealing my hand here. I've written apps for such companies. It's bizarre at times their rules don't allow a solution but will pay 5 and more figures for a custom app when a free one exists. Good news for small software houses?

Collapse -
I don't give up that easily...
by Slippery__Pete / January 21, 2016 1:10 PM PST

True. It just seems silly to me that Microsoft would allow this "bug" to happen especially when the point of automatic links between the 2 applications is just that...they are supposed to AUTOMATIC. Frustrating!!

Collapse -
Your definition of automatic is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 1:24 PM PST

Different than the one I read. We could debate this or use the solutions offered so far.

IF YOU FEEL THIS IS A MICROSOFT BUG, you call Microsoft on it and ask for a fix.

Here I've solved the "display near real time data on a factory floor" so many times over the years that I fear my view is this is something we solve rather than debate.

Collapse -
Something to try.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 21, 2016 1:27 PM PST

Use Windows security to give the user doing the presentation only read access to the folder that file is located in. Maybe (small chance, but worth the try) Powerpoint sees it has read-only access and doesn't ask for it anymore.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?