Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Some fear atom-smasher could destroy the Earth!!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/30/doomsdaycollider.ap/index.html

Dango take note...here's the doomsday scenario of your dreams!

The most powerful atom-smasher ever built could make some bizarre discoveries, such as invisible matter or extra dimensions in space, after it is switched on in August.

But some critics fear the Large Hadron Collider could exceed physicists' wildest conjectures: Will it spawn a black hole that could swallow Earth?

Or spit out particles that could turn the planet into a hot dead clump?

Ha! Global Warming? A mere bag of shells.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some fear atom-smasher could destroy the Earth!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some fear atom-smasher could destroy the Earth!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I will admit the subject matter is fascinating

In reply to: Some fear atom-smasher could destroy the Earth!!!!!

....despite the pointed fulmination...

The prospective results of the project is similar to the questions the first builders of the atomic bomb had, as they neared completion of their project. That is that they were not quite sure what it was going to do when the set it off, but they expected it to do something big. Some even speculated that the bomb could set the Earth's atmosphere on fire.

I have no clue if these fears about this new experiment could possibly be true. One does wonder if the builders can say with 100% assuredness, that this project can't create a mini black hole or some other unfortunate side effect that the project's critics are afraid of.

Collapse -
Re: the A-Bomb

In reply to: I will admit the subject matter is fascinating

""It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful, they are found because it was possible to find them."

J. Robert Oppenheimer.

"Knowledge itself is the basis of civilization."
Physicist Niels Bohr.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/special/trinity/supplement/quotes.html

I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.[11][12]
Test director Kenneth Bainbridge replied to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of *******." According to Oppenheimer's brother, Frank, Oppenheimer simply said, "It worked."[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_site

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
Collapse -
I believe P. Morrisson, who was at both places,

In reply to: Re: the A-Bomb

said the SOBs quote came at Los Alamos, when news of Hiroshima's 100,000 arrived. He also said only one, or maybe two, had the 'grace to go in a corner and throw up'.

Collapse -
That's true-

In reply to: I will admit the subject matter is fascinating

speculation "that the bomb could set the Earth's atmosphere on fire"- even though it sounds Hollywood.

Collapse -
Poster reading

I'll drag out my old Civil Defense poster and re-read the instructions. No need the real text is: "If you see bright flash, bent over as kiss your tush good-bye". In new context, I guess, if you see an expanding blackness and you're flying through the air, forget about paying the bills. adios -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE: Civil Defense

In reply to: Poster reading

Don't forget to Duct tape the windows and doors.

Collapse -
Exactly !

In reply to: RE: Civil Defense

It keeps the odor of rotting bodies from wafting through the neighborhood.

Happy

Collapse -
I doubt it.

If an atom or hydrogen bomb wouldn't do it then I doubt a firecracker like that one would.

Collapse -
atom destroy the earth

its a very informative post that it will happen with the earth so i think that we first have to find those people who wants to do this.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.