There is the old fashioned way to finding and installing drivers. That is you hunt them down at the maker's web sites and install them. Windows since it's inception has never made this easy.
By unknown reason my PC, XP+SP2, HP Pavilion, stucks at driverupdates. Not all of them but especially them concerned to the USB connection.
E.g. connecting a new USBstick or a new navigator, the New Hardware Found wizard starts up, the next screen indicates that XP looks for new driver software but after a while the mesage appears : "This cannot be installed. Software not found".
What I already did:
- registry check, virus check and trojancheck
- let the driver-install-wizard pointing to Windows/System32 and to the dir with *.inf-files
- reinstall the South-Bridge driver
- remove and reinstall the USB-mainhub and PCI to USB-controller inclusive the drivers
- googling the internetforums
Connecting my old USBstick gives no problem at all.
Has anyone an idee what to do else ?