I just got a program called speedfan v4.34, The readings i got are as follow:

Fan 1: 4821 RPM
Fan 2: 0 RPM
Fan 3: 0 RPM

Temp 1: 25C
Temp 2: -55C
Temp 3: 52C
HD0 : 35C

So um.. is that normal for a PC or is this software just useless. If yes then is there any foolproof way to moniter PC temperature. please explain in details. Sorry if posted in wrong section.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some CPU Fan Questions..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some CPU Fan Questions..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The author needs to be contacted.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 24, 2008 9:57 AM PDT

The author of speedfan also has a support forum if I recall. There are some that will demand it works but keep in mind the price we paid here.

Again, take it up with the author and be sure to supply whatever details they ask for.
Bob

Collapse -
About the -55C and "foolproof"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 12:06 AM PDT

You were not specific in your concerns. The -55C could be a pin that could have a temp sensor but is not used. As to foolproof the old saying is once you make it foolproof only _ools would use it.

Good luck,
Bob

Collapse -
Observation only
by Willy / April 24, 2008 5:50 PM PDT

I don't dwell too much on monitoring pgms., speedfan included. I use them during a fix to check results but not on a constant basis monitoring. It can be off and i tend to use them as a suggested rate of observation. Others may say, they get good results, but real measurements can vary from those provided by any such apps., so take with a grain of salt. On top of all that, proper install of ans, etc. will show at least they're working.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
speedfan is working properly
by ramarc / April 25, 2008 12:51 AM PDT

some secondary fans don't support speed monitoring. likewise, some motherboards/bioses don't implement temperature monitoring in a standard fashion.

you can configure speedfan to ignore/skip the sensors that aren't producing a reading.

if you want a foolproof method, you'll have to download monitoring software from your motherboard manufacturer and use only PWM fans.

Collapse -
More questions..
by Scott274 / April 25, 2008 1:12 PM PDT

Well a person on another board told me that no other softwares will give me a more accurate status reading of my PC then my system Bios. accordingly I went into bios setup (pressing Del twice) and checked out an option called PC Health Status. It showed..

CPU Temperature : 67C
CPU Fan Speed : 4821-4963 RPM
System Fan Speed : 0 RPM

Now here I have some questions. First is 67C an OK temp for my PC. second what is the difference between CPU Fan and System Fan. I can open my CPU cabinet. Can someone tell me how to identify and check if both CPU and System Fan are there and working.

I can see three fans, one on the board (motherboard), second attached to the cabinet which can be seen from the back holes of the cabinet and third i believe in the power supply box inside at the topmost side of the cabinet. Checking with a flashlight, they all seems to be rotating.

System Info:
Gigabyte 8I845GVMRZ motherboard,
intel pentium 4,
chipset i845G,
512 mb ram running windows 2000 pro,
and Award Modular Bios v6.00PG

Collapse -
intel pentium 4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: More questions..

That's on the Intel.com site but 67c is fine.

Collapse -
PS. Why are you looking at this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: intel pentium 4

Maybe if you shared if there is an issue with the PC we could break free of this gazing at temps?

Collapse -
Problems..
by Scott274 / April 26, 2008 1:33 AM PDT

Well actually there are many problems and I had a feeling it had something to do with fans and PC temperature.

First and worst problem is that sometimes when i am running my PC, suddenly in the middle it hangs for sometime and then restarts. On the first screen after restart, Primary Master Disk is not detected. Like this..

Pri. Master Disk : None
Pri. Slave Disk : None
Sec. Master Disk : None
Sec. Slave Disk : None

And on the second screen after restart, an error comes up after which i can do nothing but turn off the main power switch of the PC. Error is..

Boot From CD/DVD:
Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk And Press Enter

Weather i try to install Norton Ghost 2003 Image which i had earlier created or even to reinstall the whole Windows 2000 pro from its install CD; error comes up saying that Hard drives are not detected.

I have observed this problem mostly occurs when I am installing softwares, running windows update or browsing my picture folders (thumbnail view) which contains a lots of pictures.

Collapse -
Sadly we've gone this far and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Problems..

Only now know what the real issues are. You may want to rethink such posts since they rarely get back on track of the real problem.

-> Now that I know this I can share that many i845 boards had bad caps (see google about BAD CAPS) and many are old. The old, tired power supply can have the same issue so we know to inspect for the bad caps plus pop in a monster power supply for a test run.

We also leave the cover off until we think we've fixed it.
Bob

Collapse -
reply..
by Scott274 / April 26, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

No profit mate, i wanted to know some things about my PC fans as well as the rest of its problems. especially why Bios is stating system fan is at 0 RPM readings.

But moving on to my main problem, i will see what google says about i845 boards and BAD CAPS. About power supply box, i had it changed a year back and repaired couple of months back. so its not that old.

I didn't understand what you mean by, "leave the cover off until we think we've fixed it."

Collapse -
Sorry for the English.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: reply..

I mean you should "leave the cover off until we think we've fixed it."

Your choice here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.