The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Some comments about vista

(I sent this as an email to the show but it might not be read so i thought i would post it here and see what you guys think)

Hi Molly, Tom and Jason,

You have been mentioned vista and its perceptions to the public and companies a lot in the last few weeks. I have two points to share with you:

1. Companies usually don't upgrade for years after a new OS comes out. The average time, i've seen, is from 3 to 6 years after the new OS comes out. And the larger the company the slower the change. I just upgraded a company (with about 300 machines) from Windows 2000 to Windows XP just last year. No matter what OS Microsoft put out, good or bad, and how many licenses are sold, most companies have no plans to upgrade anytime soon. If it works why change? (I was a desktop/network consultant for 14 years for small and very large companies.)

2. Re the Microsoft Mojave experiment ads:
Even if consumers had only 10 mins to use vista they still would have seen that it isn't so bad. Most consumers don't care about the security features or core stability issues. They usually just want to go on the web, check email and maybe use word. For them vista will be fine. You mentioned the printers and other equipment that vista doesn't support. Vista has drivers for almost every hardware (in the 32 bit version) now. Maybe 0.1% of users will have problems upgrading. And i still think its the best choice for consumers buying a new system.

Love the show Wink

Thurman in NYC

(Disclaimer: I'm not a vista fan boy. I did upgrade to it but quickly changed back to Windows XP. I really don't need the improvements to play games, be a student and work for ChaCha.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Some comments about vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Some comments about vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some comments about vista - 2

In reply to: Some comments about vista

This is weird i posted this but it came out with another name. Not sure who gcrash22 is.

Anyway no comments?

Collapse -
I use Vista

In reply to: Some comments about vista - 2

Had problems at first, mainly because work didn't support it and IE7 (they've just deplyed the latter). I didn't expect them to since my new laptop was personal, except my employers expect me to use my personal computer for work purposes. That issue has been resolved. And I am a happy with it otherwise.

And about your user name showing up as someone else. It is a known bug. You should report it, but it will take a while to be resolved.

Collapse -
Vista is better than XP

Until you try and run your old software on it. Honestly I blame devlopers more than Microsoft for not patching their software for Vista, still makes no difference to the user.
Also as a mac user I prefer using Vista. XP just seems primitive compared to OS X, Vista not so much.

Collapse -
Vista Better Than XP

In reply to: Vista is better than XP

The real answer is that "it depends".

Everone has a job for their comptuer to do. If it can't do it, it's just a brick.

Vista falls short on two of the jobs, using Vista specific software to do it. It does one job (Bitlocker) very well that XP doesn't even have the option for.

ActiveSync under XP always worked well. The new version whatever the heck they call it, works sometimes. That's an improvment from before when it would work once. Then never again.

I find media center to be more of a PITA to use overall then the XP version. Also it's more buggy with critical errors happening at seeming random. That never happened with the XP version.

Both issues I've encountered on multiple computers.

The Vista interface. Hands down. I like it better. I like it more now that I've figured out how to tell file exporer to change it's view from the wrong one to the right one. (Music to data for example).

Collapse -
Vista in the Enterprise

I was a system admin in a small-ish pharmaceutical company. I think that one of the reasons that many companies take time to accept the new OS is because of the amount of capital that is at stake. Most of the tech writers/commentators have said that Vista is just fine with a new machine. How many companies of any size are willing to scrap all of their "old" model computer systems and buy all new hardware just to run the new Microsoft (or Apple, for that matter) operating system? That's a large expenditure that requires time to depreciate. It's all about how much money is required to make the transition and is it really worth that expense. If Vista was a gigantic leap forward in technology that would save the company $$$$, or make the company $$$$, then you would see them buy it, but since XP works just fine right now, no need to $pend. Keeps the bottom line healthy.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.